Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 05:56 PM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There really are no "oppressively" conservative suburbs around Cleveland, and some are outwardly progressive.

Which is why we want to move there from where we live now.
Generally, I agree with you. But I seriously wonder about Medina. I've also had a Black friend who had serious racial issues in North Olmsted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 06:10 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Generally, I agree with you. But I seriously wonder about Medina. I've also had a Black friend who had serious racial issues in North Olmsted.
I would say the Southwest burbs of Cleveland can get kind of oppressive or depressive as the case may be. This continues into Medina County for sure, places like Brunswick, Medina, even Wadsworth.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:22 PM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times
.^let me correct myself... My friend had issues in Olmsted Falls, not North Olmsted. Similar name but very different sunurbs.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:55 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
As a relative newcomer to NE Ohio, (I've lived here for seven years), I will defer to you. And North Olmstead? Really? That's terrible.

There are some very conservative areas in NE Ohio, however since the Youngstown Warren Columbiana area does not have it's own sub-forum, they are mashed together.

Trumbull is a conservative county. However, since I don't live in the country, where it's always more conservative, it does not affect us that much.
Political ideology of the residents is a sliver of why we want to move closer to Cleveland. We like the energy there, and the many opportunities that Cleveland and the Eastern suburbs offer. We also enjoy a little night life. There is just WAAAYYY more happening in Cleveland and even it's inner ring older 'burbs.

The Western Suburbs are very different. I am not putting them down, but they are absolutely better for some people. I have a friend who is originally from Long Island ? NYC, then lived in FL. She moved there with her husband, (can not think of the name of the city, but it's pretty and historic)

She and her husband - also from the east coast - want to move closer to a city, and to a more religiously (they are Jewish) and politically progressive and diverse area.
They have had some bad experiences.

Quick question - what are the suburbs South of Cleveland like? Any notable? I can't say that I know much about them.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:36 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As a relative newcomer to NE Ohio, (I've lived here for seven years), I will defer to you. And North Olmstead? Really? That's terrible.

There are some very conservative areas in NE Ohio, however since the Youngstown Warren Columbiana area does not have it's own sub-forum, they are mashed together.

Trumbull is a conservative county. However, since I don't live in the country, where it's always more conservative, it does not affect us that much.
Political ideology of the residents is a sliver of why we want to move closer to Cleveland. We like the energy there, and the many opportunities that Cleveland and the Eastern suburbs offer. We also enjoy a little night life. There is just WAAAYYY more happening in Cleveland and even it's inner ring older 'burbs.

The Western Suburbs are very different. I am not putting them down, but they are absolutely better for some people. I have a friend who is originally from Long Island ? NYC, then lived in FL. She moved there with her husband, (can not think of the name of the city, but it's pretty and historic)

She and her husband - also from the east coast - want to move closer to a city, and to a more religiously (they are Jewish) and politically progressive and diverse area.
They have had some bad experiences.

Quick question - what are the suburbs South of Cleveland like? Any notable? I can't say that I know much about them.
Some great suburbs with very different characters: Solon (among best public schools in state, diverse), Hudson (great downtown with historic vibe), Richfield Village (Cuyahoga Valley NP), Peninsula (CVNP), Brecksville (Brecksville Reservation, very hilly), Broadview Hts., Orange Village (more affordable, great schools, Pinecrest), and Independence (great freeway access). Some are very walkable, some are not.

Buying the "Rating the Suburbs" issue of Cleveland Magazine is a great way to learn initially about these suburbs. As you pointed out, they generally lack the easy access to University Circle, Little Italy, Cleveland Hts. restaurants, downtown restaurants and pro sports offered by CH and Shaker Hts., especially with their superior mass transit. They typically offer better immediate access to natural areas, but are further from Lake Erie. Some offer much superior community recreational assets than others, perhaps reflected in tax bases. Some have more commercial development, industry, and therefore lower tax rates.

https://clevelandmagazine.com/at-hom...places-to-live

https://clevelandmagazine.com/at-hom...to-live-mentor

Cleveland Magazine generally rotates, not surprisingly, the same suburbs up and down their rankings each year.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:02 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
I know one thing...I drive all over Shaker HTs, Cleveland Hts, Beachwood, and University Hts, and I do not see 1 single Trump sign but I see hundreds of Biden signs. We are definitely a much more liberal area on the east side.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:59 PM

210 posts, read 173,597 times
Can someone explain the difference in geography between West Park and Kamm's? Confused. Thx

Old 09-29-2020, 04:13 PM

134 posts, read 125,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I know one thing...I drive all over Shaker HTs, Cleveland Hts, Beachwood, and University Hts, and I do not see 1 single Trump sign but I see hundreds of Biden signs. We are definitely a much more liberal area on the east side.
In the last presidential election, 2/3 of Shaker Heights voters voted Democratic. That says it all, if you are looking for liberal community of folks.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:54 PM

134 posts, read 125,061 times
If you are looking for a safe place to live, look no further than Shaker Heights. The system of parks and lakes that were created in this planned community are outstanding. The city is kept immaculately clean and the forestry department keeps a close eye on tree maintenance and tree planting throughout the city which enhances the beauty of the city. Finally, the housing stock offers some of the most beautiful architecture anywhere and the streets are bicycle friendly.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:14 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
and the streets are bicycle friendly.

I don't really agree with this about Shaker. The street layout makes it difficult to get from neighborhood to neighborhood without using the main streets. There's some token bike infrastructure like "sharrows" and "bikes may use full lane" signs, but that really doesn't do much. The Lake-to-Lakes Trail and Shaker Median Trail are nice, but they're mostly outside of Shaker's borders.

I'm a former bike commuter and I haven't even bothered to buy a bike since moving here. I wouldn't even attempt cycling on most of Chagrin, Warrensville Center, Lee, Woodland, or Fairmount. I might give Van Aken Blvd or Shaker Blvd a stab, but I think the average adult bike rider would be uncomfortable on these roads too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland