Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 04:07 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,282,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Still working from home, so commuting is not an issue as of now. I go downtown one or two times a week, just to see how it's going. I live around where your friend lived, just a little east of 185h and north of Lakeshore. Some of the homes on the beach streets are quite nice and quaint. The larger neighborhood is doing "ok" I would say.
So you use the East 185th I-90 interchange whether heading east or west? How much does it cost to park downtown these days during the week?

Do you have any idea if rents have fallen downtown? Did your landlord offer you a rent price break to stay downtown?

Is your net, after-tax housing expense now lower than when you were paying rent, before and after any amount that you are paying in principal on a mortgage loan as this is really savings?

Do you have any idea if most homes in your neighborhood are occupied by owners, or are there a lot of rental properties?

Is it correct that Cleveland does NOT have point of sale inspections like SH, CH or Euclid? Any thoughts on this difference in policy?

https://www.systemtosell.com/point-o...eland-ohio.htm

Quote:
But there is actually a lot of stuff there. Too many barbershops though imo. Anyway, I think a lot of people just never think of this area, I know I didn't. But once you hang around a bit, it really grows on you. If you asked me where I'd buy a house a year ago, I would not have said "off 185th." One of my friends is now also looking to buy somewhere around here or just over the border in Euclid.
I see Martin's Mens Wear still is open on East 185th St. That surprises me, given the collapse of menswear brick-and-mortar stores. That used to be a decent menswear store.

The barbers on East 185th used to offer deeply discounted haircuts compared to rates elsewhere. I never used them. How about you?

Apparently the nearest Giant Eagle to you is the one in Willowick, 12 minutes away. There is a Marc's in Shore Center in Euclid, 6 minutes away. Dave's Euclid Beach is located 5 minutes to the east and there also is one at Shore Center. An ALDI also is at Shore Center. Pretty good grocery access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 06:49 PM

11,044 posts, read 12,306,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
So you use the East 185th I-90 interchange whether heading east or west? How much does it cost to park downtown these days during the week?

Do you have any idea if rents have fallen downtown? Did your landlord offer you a rent price break to stay downtown?

Is your net, after-tax housing expense now lower than when you were paying rent, before and after any amount that you are paying in principal on a mortgage loan as this is really savings?

Do you have any idea if most homes in your neighborhood are occupied by owners, or are there a lot of rental properties?

Is it correct that Cleveland does NOT have point of sale inspections like SH, CH or Euclid? Any thoughts on this difference in policy?

https://www.systemtosell.com/point-o...eland-ohio.htm

I see Martin's Mens Wear still is open on East 185th St. That surprises me, given the collapse of menswear brick-and-mortar stores. That used to be a decent menswear store.

The barbers on East 185th used to offer deeply discounted haircuts compared to rates elsewhere. I never used them. How about you?

Apparently the nearest Giant Eagle to you is the one in Willowick, 12 minutes away. There is a Marc's in Shore Center in Euclid, 6 minutes away. Dave's Euclid Beach is located 5 minutes to the east and there also is one at Shore Center. An ALDI also is at Shore Center. Pretty good grocery access.
When I go downtown, I take Lakeshore down basically to Brathenal and get on 90 there. Going out Willoughby or Mentor I'll go down 185. When I park downtown, I just go to street parking on Walnut or Chester between 9th and 12th. Think it's been free since last April. I'm only there for a couple hours.

Do not know about downtown rents. My building offered a $500 credit if I signed a new lease for a year, and $250 if I signed for 6 months. I don't think many people are re-signing there, but I lived at a particularly bad building which was recently in the news for a murder: https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/02/...land-shooting/

So I'm not sure it's fair to apply my experience at this building to downtown in general.

My housing expenses now total about $100 more than my rent downtown. However, it's apples to oranges. I had a 650 sq ft apartment in a high rise, now I have a 2000 sq ft house with a yard, basement 3 bedrooms right by the lake etc. My life in general does cost more now though since I got a car recently too, but I lived the last 13 or so years of my life very frugally and it's time to enjoy things now.

I believe my block is entirely home owners. I thnk this is likely the case for most all properties north of Lakeshore. Can't say about the other streets, but I would guess it's at least half and half.

No point of sale inspection in Cleveland, true.

Haven't gotten my haircut yet, but I did see Vince's has $11 men's cuts, which is insanely cheap. But I was eyeing Lamarcas, seems a bit more tailored to modern hair sensibilities.

There indeed are a ton of grocery options nearby. I do tend to go to Shoregate Dave's most of the time.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Do not know about downtown rents. My building offered a $500 credit if I signed a new lease for a year, and $250 if I signed for 6 months. I don't think many people are re-signing there, but I lived at a particularly bad building which was recently in the news for a murder: https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/02/...land-shooting/
Is that the old Chesterfield Apartments? If so, in my day that was the deluxe apartment building downtown, before Reserve Square was built. Times change.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't be surprised if North Collinwood becomes a hot property market at some point in the next two decades, partially based on my expectation of the Great Climate Change Migration becoming a reality.

My memory is that the Euclid Marc's isn't the nicest Marc's store. However, the ALDI is pretty good. I checked both out a couple years ago out of curiosity. I've never been in the Dave's in Euclid. Where I live, both Marc's and ALDI are much cheaper than Giant Eagle and have some great bargains. My Marc's has a very good deli for cheese, with a better selection (such as Gouda) than other Marc's stores that I've seen. ALDI offers good pizzas, and produce, and very low prices. My regular purchases at ALDI are Roma tomatoes in winter when I don't have my own, avocados on sale, celery, bananas, frozen broccoli, large eggs (currently 89 cents/dozen), bread (69 cents), English muffins ($1.15), and honey peanuts. The pizza deals at ALDI also often are very good. Marc's often sells Butterball ground turkey for $1.50/lb. These days, my largest food purchases are at Meier's.

BOL!

Last edited by WRnative; 02-12-2021 at 11:57 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 06:28 AM

11,044 posts, read 12,306,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Is that the old Chesterfield Apartments? If so, in my day that was the deluxe apartment building downtown, before Reserve Square was built. Times change.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't be surprised if North Collinwood becomes a hot property market at some point in the next two decades, partially based on my expectation of the Great Climate Change Migration becoming a reality.

My memory is that the Euclid Marc's isn't the nicest Marc's store. However, the ALDI is pretty good. I checked both out a couple years ago out of curiosity. I've never been in the Dave's in Euclid. Where I live, both Marc's and ALDI are much cheaper than Giant Eagle and have some great bargains. My Marc's has a very good deli for cheese, with a better selection (such as Gouda) than other Marc's stores that I've seen. ALDI offers good pizzas, and produce, and very low prices. My regular purchases at ALDI are Roma tomatoes in winter when I don't have my own, avocados on sale, celery, bananas, frozen broccoli, large eggs (currently 89 cents/dozen), bread (69 cents), English muffins ($1.15), and honey peanuts. The pizza deals at ALDI also often are very good. Marc's often sells Butterball ground turkey for $1.50/lb. These days, my largest food purchases are at Meier's.

BOL!
The great thing about the Luckman was that it was relatively affordable. But the people who lived there were pretty bad, unfortunately. Young crowd, very loud, ruined nice things. I'm surprised someone was murdered there, but if I had to pick a downtown building where I'd think someone would be murdered, the Luckman would be up there on that list.

I think the area is already on the upswing, but hopefully with much more to go. There is still so much that could be done, I feel like the potential is not close to realized.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:26 AM

1,300 posts, read 840,740 times
Don't want to hijack this thread, but planning on moving back up to the Cleveland area and looking for input on a few potential areas. I love Shaker, Cleveland and University Heights, but those property taxes! Ouch! Considering South Euclid, Euclid and Willowick/Wickliffe areas, maybe even as far out as Mentor....want to stay within 30 minutes of Cleveland. Looking for something under 200K and under $200 a month property taxes. Any suggestions? Or am I dreaming? Lived in Shaker Square for 6 months, before moving to Central Ohio, but miss the city/activities and way too conservative for me here.....let me know if you think I should start a new thread....

Old 02-13-2021, 01:04 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,263,286 times
Quote:
When I go downtown, I take Lakeshore down basically to Brathenal and get on 90 there. Going out Willoughby or Mentor I'll go down 185. When I park downtown, I just go to street parking on Walnut or Chester between 9th and 12th. Think it's been free since last April. I'm only there for a couple hours.

So I'm not sure it's fair to apply my experience at this building to downtown in general.

My housing expenses now total about $100 more than my rent downtown. However, it's apples to oranges. I had a 650 sq ft apartment in a high rise, now I have a 2000 sq ft house with a yard, basement 3 bedrooms right by the lake etc. My life in general does cost more now though since I got a car recently too, but I lived the last 13 or so years of my life very frugally and it's time to enjoy things now.

I believe my block is entirely home owners. I think this is likely the case for most all properties north of Lakeshore. Can't say about the other streets, but I would guess it's at least half and half.
I see you caved and got a car. Would you have been willing to move to where you are now if you were still carless and planned on remaining so?

In a previous post you mentioned the inadequacies of the #39F bus line (service only until ~6pm weekdays, no weekend service). Have you ever used the #30 bus to connect to the Windermere Rapid station to go downtown on weekends when the #39F does not run? If so, did you feel it was safe?

Old 02-13-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Don't want to hijack this thread, but planning on moving back up to the Cleveland area and looking for input on a few potential areas. I love Shaker, Cleveland and University Heights, but those property taxes! Ouch! Considering South Euclid, Euclid and Willowick/Wickliffe areas, maybe even as far out as Mentor....want to stay within 30 minutes of Cleveland. Looking for something under 200K and under $200 a month property taxes. Any suggestions? Or am I dreaming? Lived in Shaker Square for 6 months, before moving to Central Ohio, but miss the city/activities and way too conservative for me here.....let me know if you think I should start a new thread....
Please start a new thread and describe what you want in a property, including square footage, lot size, BR/BA, and whether you want a single family home or a condo. Unlike you, the OP is concerned with raising kids and public schools.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-13-2021 at 01:48 PM..

Old 02-14-2021, 04:56 AM

210 posts, read 170,062 times
Quote:

Start a new thread, please

Old 02-14-2021, 09:49 AM

1,300 posts, read 840,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Start a new thread, please
Would delete my post, but I don't seem able to do so!

Old 02-14-2021, 11:47 AM

210 posts, read 170,062 times
Quote:
Would delete my post, but I don't seem able to do so!

That's okay, we'll ignore it here and answer in your new thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland