Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 05:38 AM

469 posts, read 432,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Slide, I think you've covered most of the differentials. I would add 4 more:

1. Shaker has a slightly stronger school district
2. Proximity to CVNP from the East side
3. You can mostly avoid the ugly streets in Shaker by targeted driving and it adds virtually no extra time.
4. Closer to Lake Erie Islands on the West Side

I went back and forth on SH/Lakewood for months. Finally, after maybe my 10th drive thru Lakewood, I just couldn't get past the lot sizes, very different neighborhood by neighborhood vibes/housing stock and amount of rental properties. Shaker just felt more like home. But what I value may not be what you value

I would also agree with the recommendation to rent for awhile. I know you have to unpack 2x, but it keeps you from making the 'wrong' decision. Eventually, one of them will feel like home.
Thanks TT, I would agree with these adds.

Both Lakewood and SH have their charms. Lakewood incorporates more “hipster edge” IMO, while Shaker scores higher on the idyllic neighborhoods meter.

For us it will be a property-specific decision. We also have a broader search zone and we’re open to “one offs” in Geauga, Lake, or potentially even Summit counties. All depends on what comes available.

Incidentally, bummer on Lakewood’s recent mini-spate of gun violence. Watching community’s response and subsequent trends heading into summer months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 12:06 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Thanks TT, I would agree with these adds.

Both Lakewood and SH have their charms. Lakewood incorporates more “hipster edge” IMO, while Shaker scores higher on the idyllic neighborhoods meter.

For us it will be a property-specific decision. We also have a broader search zone and we’re open to “one offs” in Geauga, Lake, or potentially even Summit counties. All depends on what comes available.

Incidentally, bummer on Lakewood’s recent mini-spate of gun violence. Watching community’s response and subsequent trends heading into summer months.

I believe all of the gun violence is on the east side of Lakewood, nearest Cleveland.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:28 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,311,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I believe all of the gun violence is on the east side of Lakewood, nearest Cleveland.
The latest shooting was at Madison and Elmwood Avenues, which is west of Warren Road.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
The latest shooting was at Madison and Elmwood Avenues, which is west of Warren Road.
Are neighborhoods north of Detroit Ave. relatively violence free?

Old 05-06-2021, 07:55 PM

994 posts, read 900,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
There is generally less crime on the west side of Lakewood.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:00 PM

994 posts, read 900,500 times
One thing about Lakewood is that most homes have a front porch, but in Shaker most homes do not. We really like sitting on our front porch.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Are neighborhoods north of Detroit Ave. relatively violence free?
Just checked my crime app. No real problems north of Detroit Ave in Lakewood. Just some isolated nuisance stuff like catalytic converter thefts and car break-ins. Exception is when you approach the CLE border (near W. 117th) where some more violent incidents start showing up on the tracker.

As people have noted, West and North seem to be pretty darn safe.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Just checked my crime app. No real problems north of Detroit Ave in Lakewood. Just some isolated nuisance stuff like catalytic converter thefts and car break-ins. Exception is when you approach the CLE border (near W. 117th) where some more violent incidents start showing up on the tracker.

As people have noted, West and North seem to be pretty darn safe.
Thanks for the info! What crime app do you use? How much does it cost, if anything? TIA.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
One thing about Lakewood is that most homes have a front porch, but in Shaker most homes do not. We really like sitting on our front porch.
I realize any answer to this question would be highly dependent on your specific neighbors. But I’ll ask anyway.

With tighter quarters (lot sizes), a front porch/back patio culture, and what appears to be a healthy dose of younger, hip residents...

Are Lakewood folks pretty considerate about keeping noise levels down in the neighborhoods past, say, 9p? I’ve had bad experiences with Thurs 2a raging parties in neighborhoods which have looked/felt similar. Granted, this was West Coast.

Any insights appreciated, and hopefully this isn’t too far off topic.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! What crime app do you use? How much does it cost, if anything? TIA.
I use SpotCrime. I can’t remember if it was free...there may be a very small, one time fee. For researching cities/neighborhoods, the maps feature is very handy. Helps put data behind what can be a very subjective discussion topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland