Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 04:41 PM

11,044 posts, read 12,306,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Near the bottom transit-wise/car-free ability? Really? Who would you put ahead of Cleveland? Indy? Columbus? Detroit? Houston? Memphis? San Antonio? KC, Milwaukee? even Pittsburgh (and they're pretty good). I would agree that service reliability-wise, RTA is far from the best. But structurally, it is a pretty convenient system in my eyes, esp given the compact nature of the City and dense, close-in suburbs -- and even some outer burbs are pretty convenient transit-wise. Honestly, in decent warm weather, I can't think of many places RTA and/or a short Uber-Lyft ride can't take you.
I think the poster is saying Cleveland is a place where you can go car-free, but of other places where you can go car free, it just isn't at the top. I don't think Columbus, Indianapolis, Memphis, Houston etc even qualify. Pittsburgh does. Maybe Buffalo? I don't know what cities exactly we are talking about here, but Cleveland imo is definitely better than Cincinnati, Columbus, KC, Milwaukee, Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Memphis, Nashville. Probably about on par with St Louis and Minneapolis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 07:11 PM

4,464 posts, read 5,010,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think the poster is saying Cleveland is a place where you can go car-free, but of other places where you can go car free, it just isn't at the top. I don't think Columbus, Indianapolis, Memphis, Houston etc even qualify. Pittsburgh does. Maybe Buffalo? I don't know what cities exactly we are talking about here, but Cleveland imo is definitely better than Cincinnati, Columbus, KC, Milwaukee, Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Memphis, Nashville. Probably about on par with St Louis and Minneapolis?
Maybe you're right. He did say where car-free living is a "reasonable option." Still, I wonder if Cleveland should rank near the bottom of these, either? Baltimore, St. Louis and a few other mid-size cities have more total rail transit mileage than Cleveland, but I think living car-free in Cleveland is easier... even easier when RTA ran the downtown trolleys and the Waterfront Line.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:10 PM

11,044 posts, read 12,306,095 times
Quote:
Maybe you're right. He did say where car-free living is a "reasonable option." Still, I wonder if Cleveland should rank near the bottom of these, either? Baltimore, St. Louis and a few other mid-size cities have more total rail transit mileage than Cleveland, but I think living car-free in Cleveland is easier... even easier when RTA ran the downtown trolleys and the Waterfront Line.
I think it's shameful they got rid of the trolleys and waterfront line. Hopefully maybe next year or so such things come back.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:27 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,376,486 times
Quote:
Near the bottom transit-wise/car-free ability? Really? Who would you put ahead of Cleveland? Indy? Columbus? Detroit? Houston?
You would be surprised about Houston. It has the most extensive bus network in the Southern U.S. and one light rail line alone has the ridership of Dallas' entire light rail system!

Pre-pandemic, the 2015 bus network redesign increased ridership by 6.8% a year with local buses seeing a 13% increase on Saturdays and 34% on Sundays.

Redesigning Bus Networks Can Save Transit Systems - Car Free America

System Reimagining is even influencing bigger cities such as L.A. to copy Houston. There's even a documentary about Houston's bus network redesign!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ack-on-the-bus

Old 01-15-2022, 01:55 PM

6,595 posts, read 8,907,835 times
Yes, I meant that most cities don't even make the list of car free living being a realistic option. Cleveland at least crosses that threshold, which is pretty impressive given our population ranking.

Indy, Detroit, etc. don't even make the cut. Living without a car in most of the country is a serious hardship.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 3,178 times
How much is the return on investment if I were to buy a condo in a walkable area in downtown Cleveland and rent it out?

Old 03-28-2022, 11:13 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,282,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeLefty View Post
How much is the return on investment if I were to buy a condo in a walkable area in downtown Cleveland and rent it out?

My understanding is that many condo associations do not allow buy-then-rent purchases.

Nobody can intelligently provide you with a reasonable estimated ROI on any investment without considerable research of that specific investment. With a real estate investment, many factors must be evaluated and estimated for reasonableness before an internal rate of return can even be calculated. In the past, I professionally was in that game.

Old 04-01-2022, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,178 times
Thanks WRnative. I'm in Vegas right now and I'm getting sick of the heat. I have a sizeable real estate portfolio here that I would sell off and I'm looking to relocate somewhere nice and cold.

Old 04-02-2022, 12:06 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,282,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeLefty View Post
Thanks WRnative. I'm in Vegas right now and I'm getting sick of the heat. I have a sizeable real estate portfolio here that I would sell off and I'm looking to relocate somewhere nice and cold.

These threads may interest you.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...s-weather.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...tion-ohio.html

Old 04-02-2022, 07:59 AM

23,865 posts, read 32,125,181 times
SSSUUUUHHHHHHSH! !!!! Let's keep Cleveland's low cost of living and desirability a secret.

I was already priced out of one city for life. That's enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland