Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:37 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times

Advertisements

I think the problem is that people want to live in areas with little or no crime, and there really isnt anyplace like that anymore at least around here. I dont even think there was EVER a place like that. This is the same reason why people were all surprised and shocked when they found drugs in Westlake, why?... There is drugs everywhere and there is crime everywhere, the sooner everyone understands that the sooner everyone can get on with their lives and stop being scared about everything. There were people that actually thought Westlake was turning into a bad area and some were considering moving...Are you serious? This is what Im talking about.

Just be smart and take care of yourself and keep your own out of trouble. Of course there is alarms and crime/block watches and everything like that, if you are in a good neighborhood and you want it to stay that way get involved and explain to people what you want in your neighborhood and what things shouldnt be tolerated. The only places in Lorain, and Cuyahoga County that I would not consider moving to just based on crime are some neighborhoods in Cleveland, EC, Euclid, Lorain, and Elyria. People just need to realize that the area that is considered "off limits" is only very small areas, most of the inner ring, and outer ring suburbs are great places, but people have to understand that there is crime and drugs everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 02:08 PM

148 posts, read 640,477 times
To pretty much everything you just said, Cle: Hear, hear. *clap*.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:34 PM

250 posts, read 529,613 times
Any place you have unemployed people hanging around the nitelife areas preying on peopel as they leave the clubs, too drunk to fight back, you have crime. Downtown Cleveland is a sewer anymore. And I am sad to say that because I grew up just 3 miles east from dead center downtown. Too many homeless, general poor education OF those people who have no skills and end up homeless, and a HUGE drug problem... Do the math.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:29 PM

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
Any place you have unemployed people hanging around the nitelife areas preying on peopel as they leave the clubs, too drunk to fight back, you have crime. Downtown Cleveland is a sewer anymore. And I am sad to say that because I grew up just 3 miles east from dead center downtown. Too many homeless, general poor education OF those people who have no skills and end up homeless, and a HUGE drug problem... Do the math.
Did you read the thread? The discussion regards the bad attitude people on this thread have against some residential areas that I and many others consider to be reasonably safe. It hasn't been about downtown crime, poor-on-drunk yuppie-crime, nor a debate on causes of such crime. So exactly what are you responding to?

Old 06-16-2008, 06:52 AM

181 posts, read 838,017 times
I'm starting to find it humorous how many come to this forum and request info on "low-crime" or "safe" neighborhoods - not that it isn't important, but it seems redundant. I think I'm yet to come across a request for a "crime-ridden" or "dangerous" neighborhood reccomendation.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1778 View Post
I'm starting to find it humorous how many come to this forum and request info on "low-crime" or "safe" neighborhoods - not that it isn't important, but it seems redundant. I think I'm yet to come across a request for a "crime-ridden" or "dangerous" neighborhood reccomendation.
Additionally, it's one of those things that, personally, I wouldn't depend on anyone's opinion. Maybe I'd look at hard statistics, and then I'd have to visit and get a feel for it myself. I'd never move to Cleveland Heights based on the responses I see here. However, knowing what I know, if I were moving back home today, Cleveland Hts/Shaker Hts would be among my top choices.

None the less, I guarantee you there will be another "safe neighborhoods?" post within the next...oh, I'll say *five* new Cleveland threads.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:52 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
I dont think anyone would actually be looking to move into a dangerous neighborhood. There was a few people on here who said some streets and neighborhoods because they didnt know anything about them and they turned out to be dangerous (for example East Cleveland, and the worst area of south Lorain). I dont get why anybody would specifically want to move into a dangerous area. Its all about the quality of life, and even if its nobody you know, if someone gets killed 3 blocks away that effects everybody in the neighborhood.

However, I also agree that a lot of the places people on here say are now bad or are going "downhill" arent really bad or dangerous at all. For example, Shaker heights, and Cleveland Heights. Ive heard many times on here telling people to stay away from certain areas of those cities. The only areas in those cities I would ever avoid moving into are the areas within a few blocks of bad areas on the eastside of Cleveland and East Cleveland, if even that. All the outer ring suburbs, and all the inner ring suburbs on the westside are very safe and nice. Most of them on the eastside too with the exception of East Cleveland, small sections of Euclid and some of the questionable ones bordering Cleveland. The majority of the area is very safe and livable though.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:15 PM

4 posts, read 14,556 times
Default I am moving to East Cleveland and I ain't afraid .. or should I be?

There are too many old neighborhoods that deserve to be rehabbed...and I want to be a part of that...homes boardering the Forest Hills Park area are gracious and beautiful...they should not be allowed to fallow and be torn down. here in Norfolk, back in the 60's Ghent was awash in old mansions turned into boarding houses..those homes now go for about 1 million each...so do not write off the old historic homes of East Cleveland so easily, please.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,300 times
Default You did ask: "What Makes an Area Unsafe?"

Well, recently near E 70 something and Superior a Marine, waiting for a bus with his girlfriend after doing some grocery shopping, was shot in the neck in front of his girlfriend, after giving his muggers his money. He died several weeks later. Also, an immigrant from one of the breakaway republics of the former Soviet Union was simply gassing up his car, while his son went up to the counter to pay. Well, the local folks were mocking his son's accent. So, he told his son, in his native tongue, to hurry up. The local folks decided to shoot him, 17 freaking times! Three of those bullets hit him in the stomach. APPARENTLY, BOTH OF THESE VICTIMS WERE HELPLESS TO STOP THESE ATTACKS AND THEY ARE NOT UNIQUE FOR THAT AREA! However, they would be freaking catastrophic in Berea. SO, I GUESS THAT'S WHAT MAKES AN AREA UNSAFE! However, there is no doubt that E 70th and Superior is "Diverse, Vibrant and Unique," whatever the crap that means!

You remind me of the Mayor of the town in the movie, "Jaws."

Last edited by Chef Boyardee; 06-25-2008 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: added a line to it

Old 06-25-2008, 02:54 PM

52 posts, read 162,288 times
Default Strange you should ask.....

I've been talking about this very thing lately.
I grew up in smalltown southwest Ohio but moved to Cleveland a few years back.
I swear, my neighborhood is safer than the one back home lately.
I worry about my mom living alone in her white picket fence area in a God-fearin' genuine heaven of a small town. We got her a big dog.
There are break-ins there, criminals running thru yards at night, women being attacked, drug deals on the corner, you name it.
However, at my home in Cleveland, I have yet to see a crime anywhere near me. I feel safe in my home, riding the bus, and walking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland