Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2023, 07:52 PM

94 posts, read 224,322 times

Advertisements

I grew up in suburban Detroit and many people living there go to Northern Michigan for vacations and long weekends. The most fortunate among them own vacation homes there. Where do Clevelanders similarly go? The areas I am referring to are a good 5+ hours from Cleveland, which is probably too far for a weekend. I'm aware of places like Put-In-Bay but that scene is worlds away from someplace like Petoskey, Michigan. I assume the Carolinas and Florida are popular in the winter, but I'm thinking more about summer places. Are there other towns along Lake Erie, in Western Pennsylvania or even New York State that Clevelanders might go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2023, 07:37 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans64 View Post
I grew up in suburban Detroit and many people living there go to Northern Michigan for vacations and long weekends. The most fortunate among them own vacation homes there. Where do Clevelanders similarly go? The areas I am referring to are a good 5+ hours from Cleveland, which is probably too far for a weekend. I'm aware of places like Put-In-Bay but that scene is worlds away from someplace like Petoskey, Michigan. I assume the Carolinas and Florida are popular in the winter, but I'm thinking more about summer places. Are there other towns along Lake Erie, in Western Pennsylvania or even New York State that Clevelanders might go to?

There are many options, but Niagara Falls, Letchworth State Park in NY, and the New River Gorge in WV especially for rafting are among the better options. Presque Isle near Erie and Chautauqua in NY are other more nearby options. The Wilds near Zanesville is unique and can be included with visits to the Hocking Hills and the Tecumseh Outdoor Drama on Sugarloaf Mountain.

Coming up is the Biggest Week in American Birding at Magee Marsh Boardwalk and the adjacent Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge, a great weekend, especially for anybody with an interest in birding. The trip could include opening weekend at Cedar Point.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/e...rican-birding/

Kelleys Isand, the "other" Lake Erie island with ferry service to Put-in-Bay, is a great, laid-back weekend option.

Old 04-23-2023, 12:14 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
The closest of the Finger Lakes in New York aren't that far from Chautauqua, probably about 3-4 hours from Cleveland.

Chautauqua Lake itself is more than Chautauqua Institution; there are little towns like Bemus Point, Lakewood, and Mayville, and campgrounds, B&Bs, and motels all along the shore, and the largest town on the lake, Jamestown, which is home to 10,000 Maniacs and all sorts of Lucille Ball-related memorabilia and museums. Dunkirk and Silver Lake, also in Chautauqua County, are interesting little towns. Findley Lake, just across the Pa. border, is a smaller lake but there are cottages and boats to rent. Dozens of wineries make up the Lake Erie Wine Trail in Erie County, Pa., and Chautauqua County, N.Y.

In Erie, at the entrance to Presque Isle State Park, is Waldameer Park, an amusement park much, much smaller than Cedar Point, and there's no admission fee, you just pay by the ride. There's also a water park. It's still family owned, and has weird hours, as a point of caution. In downtown Erie are the Maritime Museum and the US Brig Niagara, where you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about Lake Erie and the Battle of Lake Erie. When the Niagara isn't out of town for tall ships festivals, it and another tall ship are available for day and sunset sails.

Other possibilities in Ohio are Geneva-on-the-Lake in Ashtabula County, and Lakeside, a Chautauqua-like community on Lake Erie close to Marblehead. Very serene. Like Chautauqua in New York, it has a gorgeous old inn and beautiful cottages.

Pelee Island on the Canadian side of the lake is another idea, which I'm pretty sure is still accessible by ferry from Sandusky.

Old 04-23-2023, 04:25 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,989 times
Allegheny National Forest - 3hrs
Hocking Hills State Park / Region - 4hrs
For a different city experience: Pittsburgh is 2hrs, Columbus is 2hrs, Cinci is 3-4hrs

For day-trips:
Mohican State Park is 1.5hrs https://www.google.com/search?q=Mohi...kyMXRFenFIdlo2

Old 04-26-2023, 11:47 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans64 View Post
I'm aware of places like Put-In-Bay but that scene is worlds away from someplace like Petoskey, Michigan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Kelleys Isand, the "other" Lake Erie island with ferry service to Put-in-Bay, is a great, laid-back weekend option.

I haven't been to Petoskey, but I want to make sure OP knows that Put-in-Bay is much more than the weekend drinking party scene. At other times of the week and on other parts of the island it's much different. Kelley's is great too, and it's also worth considering places on the landside such as Catawba Island (not actually an Island) and Lakeside Marblehead.

Personally, we rotate between the Lake Erie Islands and Hocking Hills for our nearby vacations.

Old 04-27-2023, 11:38 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,203 times
I’ve heard people call Chautauqua NY the easternmost suburb of Cleveland (tongue-in-cheek). There are in fact a large number of well-off Clevelanders who have vacation homes there. It’s got lake activities, quaint lakeside restaurants, the Chautauqua Institute, proximity to nature, and access to skiing in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland