U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 19,576 times
Default Upscale Cleveland Neighborhoods!?

Hello, my name is Katie and i will be moving to Cleveland within the next 6 months from Southern California.
I've never been to Ohio before and do not know anything about Cleveland.
I am looking for an upscale neighborhood that is safe!
If you know of any gated communities in Cleveland, that would be a plus.
I need good schools (preferably private schools), nice area, near shopping malls/stores etc.
Please let me know of some great neighborhoods...The price of homes is not really an issue so please list!! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 02:37 PM

181 posts, read 600,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie1010 View Post
I need good schools (preferably private schools), nice area, near shopping malls/stores etc.
Please let me know of some great neighborhoods...The price of homes is not really an issue so please list!! Thanks again.
The highest concentration of private schools are in the Shaker Heights, University Heights, Cleveland heights neighborhoods. They also meet your other requirements, for the most part.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 19,576 times
Ok, thanks.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:39 PM

115 posts, read 262,148 times
If you are contacting real estate people, Lakewood's "Gold Coast" is good. If price is truly no object, look at an area called Bratenahl. The older houses there are more in the mansion category, though recently they built some townhouses right on the lake.

Outside of that, you are into the eastern suburbs. Willowick. Mentor..... Cleveland proper has maybe the worst schools in teh history of schools, so bad that the government took them over some years ago to straighten things out. Even the "safer" areas of Cleveland are not really safe.

In this area, like most, "private" schools means catholic school. Be prepared to pay $7000 per year for high school in those schools. And buy books. And buy uniforms, even if the uniform is black pants and blue shirts, many have dress codes. And fairly strict discipline.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:05 PM

3,520 posts, read 4,807,068 times
Try this out as a start:

Cleveland Relocation Guide

Old 07-04-2008, 10:38 PM

978 posts, read 487,762 times
Chagrin Falls, Aurora, Westlake, Bay Village. I think Peninsula is nice. Medina I guess.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:12 AM

244 posts, read 485,347 times
Oh Boy Katie...are you in for a shock! I was born in the suburbs of Cleveland and have lived half my life in SoCal. Both adjustments were a challenge.
I am more familiar with the West side. Try Westlake, Bay Village, Brecksville, Avon Lake, Avon. I am not certain about the schools, but the areas are nicer. I think Bay has a good school system.
Their are some beautiful places in Cleveland. The Metro Parks are endless, their are the islands Kelly's, Put-n-Bay. Hinkley is a great place to spend a day with the kids. Cedar Point is one of the best amusement parks in the country. And the people in Cleveland are down to earth good people. I wish the best and hope you post on here with your impression of Cleveland. Would be great to here a SoCal girl love the place!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,565 times
Default West vs East

[FONT=Verdana]Hi Katie,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I actually finally registered after reading your post. I have lived all over the country and yes both East and West sides (of Cleveland), one of the biggest "debates" in Cleve [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I like the charm and beauty of the East side, and private schools are closer (as I attended one as part of my living on the East side time). The West side, is newer and is SO much easier to get around. East side is pretty landlocked, where you can get just about anywhere on the West side within 20 minutes or less. The public transportation is better (trains, etc.) on the East side, but I'm not a big fan of buses to begin with. There are several areas on the West side that have grace and charm, Lakewood, Rocky River, Bay Village areas, basically any West side suburb connected to Lake Erie (listed above) are wonderful cities to live in. As you continue to venture west, Avon Lake is also beautiful. All the public schools in these cities are ranked very high by the state as well as Cleveland Magazine (check out their "Rating the suburbs" recent issue to see East and West breakdowns on crime, schools, avg home price, income, etc.). We currently live in Avon, but are planning to build a new home in Avon Lake, which is a personal pref just because we really love the town. Our current neighborhood is less than 10 years old and still growing, but we are out of room! There are several Great private schools (especially for younger ones, Montessori etc., and one main private school called Lake Ridge Academy. Post again if you want more information...I'd be happy to help[/FONT]

Old 07-23-2008, 10:36 PM

826 posts, read 1,047,366 times
Shaker Heights is one of the most upclass and probably one of the (if not THE) most expensive places to live. Other areas are Mayfield, Lakewood..also if you don't mind living a little out of the way check out Lake and Lorain Counties..Elyria is very nice about 35 min or so from downtown.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:35 PM

82 posts, read 184,576 times
Ohio City in Cleveland proper is very nice. St. Ignatius is located there which is probably the best school in the greater cleveland area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland