Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:20 AM

32 posts, read 71,526 times

Advertisements

Hi we are a family of four, two teenagers, one is 13 the other is 16, we are moving from Brisbane Australia to possibly Painesville in the New Year. My husband will be working for another aussie over there in a new business. I have so many questions, some may sound very dumb. for instance, my son is 13 in January, what grade will he be in? here he would just be entering high school, grade 8. Also property taxes? We pay land rates here, every quarter about $600, is property tax the same? Also, how much do your utilities cost on average over winter? I have no idea what schools to look at for my youngest son, my oldest will probably stay in Australia until he finishes high school.
I would appreciate any help from anyone. I look forward to your replies. Tania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,221 times
Painesville is a pretty good area with a lot of snow in the winter due to it's location in the snowbelt. From what I hear the public schools are ok and as an 8th grader your son would be in middle school. The Painesville school district website can help you with that. I know that doesn't answer all your questions but I hope it helps. Safe travel

Old 08-11-2008, 02:35 PM

155 posts, read 460,060 times
Move to Painesville Township NOT Painesville City. The PC schools are hurting bad. You can find some nice old homes the city, but be prepared to send your kids to private schools. PT is more suburban and --no offense, boring. But the schools are respectable.
Good luck.

PS, XKIWIGIRL, arent New Zealanders the "kiwi's"????

Old 08-11-2008, 05:54 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Hi!

How are you doing, xkiwi?

Let me just tell you how big of a fan I am of Australia. I go there every year, I try to get there twice. I have a lot of friends that I go to college with from Australia, as well as some that have moved to the Cleveland area. I actually have a friend from Redcliffe. Brisbane is actually one of my favorites too. Along with Melbourne and Adelaide. I have been to Sydney too many times lol. And there is always something new to find in Melbourne.

LOL ok, sorry, didn't mean to get off topic.

Painesville is a really nice up and coming town in a way. It is located in Lake County, just east of the city of Cleveland.

I will supply you with the town's official website, and I hope this can give you some need info.

City of Painesville -- Welcome to the new Painesville.com

Old 08-12-2008, 02:14 AM

thanks to all, and yes kiwis come from NZ, and so do I, but I am more australian now, hence the xkiwi.
thanks travelers87, funny thing we are moving to painesville with friends from Redcliffe, who are opening a motorsports complex/workshop. I live in Cleveland Brisbane so its kind of ironic moving to cleveland ohio, it will just confuse the oversease rellies some more.
I am really worried about the schools especially after reading all the forums on painesville ones, has any one any idea what private education costs in the usa? here its anything from $2000 to $18000 per year.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:20 PM

155 posts, read 460,060 times
As mentioned in my previous post, you want PAINESVILLE TOWNSHIP. It has a separate school system than the CITY of PAINESVILLE. And the schools in PT are fine. Probably good in fact. Also as an option is Concord which is right next to Painesville Twp. Concord is in the Mentor school district. Again, a fine, a possibly good system.
Private schools can run Catholic (5-10K/year) Montessori (7K+/YR), or privates are (12K-18K+/year).

Old 08-12-2008, 07:37 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Yes, Painesville Twp. is what you want as far as schools go.

Where are you from in New Zealand? North Island or South Island? Can't wait for another Aussie to head to the Cleveland area. I think you will like it.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkiwigirl View Post
Hi we are a family of four, two teenagers, one is 13 the other is 16, we are moving from Brisbane Australia to possibly Painesville in the New Year. My husband will be working for another aussie over there in a new business. I have so many questions, some may sound very dumb. for instance, my son is 13 in January, what grade will he be in? here he would just be entering high school, grade 8. Also property taxes? We pay land rates here, every quarter about $600, is property tax the same? Also, how much do your utilities cost on average over winter? I have no idea what schools to look at for my youngest son, my oldest will probably stay in Australia until he finishes high school.
I would appreciate any help from anyone. I look forward to your replies. Tania.
hey, bill here from mentor,oh. the nect adjacent city. my advice is to consider living in mentor. zip code 44060 for research . very comfertable. sorry if i don't spell well. by the way. i am a small contractor with good referances, should you need help with your new house. 216-408-4444 is my cell. [EMAIL="hill.contracting@sbcglobal.net"]hill.contracting@sbcglobal.net[/EMAIL]. anyway aside from the shameless solicition, i'm sure aussies will be well recieved and appreciated. look into mentor high school for your son. he may well really accept it for many reasons. the student body in my opinion are well mannered,bright, smart and oh yea ; the mentor cardinals. good luck and god bless, bill

Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 PM

hi bill, thanks for that, the guy my husband will be working for is looking at mentor to live, alhtough they will be buying some great mansion, we want to reduce our debt after aussie, and are looking for a smaller place, but i will keep you in mind, and i will pass your details onto Steve, as he wil be needing contractors for the workshop/motorplex they are putting together.
I just dont get the age/grade thing with your high schools. my younger boy is a bit different to the average, so that worries me, he had wonderful help with schooling here, as he has aspergers. ( high functioning autism)
thank you for your advice.
tania

Old 08-19-2008, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 10,838 times
Default welcome to cleveland

hi-we just listed our home, located at 3006 marcum blvd, willoughby hills-part of lake county. it is close to everything!!! we also have a great school system. if interested, contact our realtor at: 440-975-5854 or email him at: [EMAIL="boehlefeld@aol.com"]boehlefeld@aol.com[/EMAIL]

maureen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland