Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 07:29 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,213,099 times

Advertisements

Huge deal for the Cavs, really changes the look of the team.

On the other hand, free throws at the end of close games...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

Yeah, but they won't need to play Shaq the last 5 minutes of game most of the time, they can sub Z in who hits >80% of his FT's.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Yeah, but they won't need to play Shaq the last 5 minutes of game most of the time, they can sub Z in who hits >80% of his FT's.
True, but they lose his impact at game's end. James hasn't exactly been great at the line either with the games in doubt, a bit inconsistent.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:47 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,282,740 times
I'd take Shaq over Ben Wallace any day.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
If Lebron James leaves it is not his fault. The organization is making this out to be rocket science when its not. Lebron should be the easiest player to build a team around in the nba. They should get either chrish bosh or amarie stoudemire. Shaquille is not the answer unless they get a young athletic poward forward. When Orland do played boston D. Howard did not have his way with perkins. Perkins can not stop him but he made him work for post position and was able to put a body on him. Get either chrish bosh or Amarie stodemire as well as a center that can at least match his physical presence and get younger athletic role players and I think lebron will atleast sign another four year deal.
This isn't NBA2K9. What do you have to offer the Suns for one of the best young players in the game in Amare Stoudamire? What do you have to offer the Raptors for one of the best young players in the game in Chris Bosh? Typically, for super stars, they want top end draft picks. Ours is the very last of the first round. Typically, they want young guys who are going to turn into really good players too, if not all stars. Do we have that? Daniel Gibson isn't that guy, Hickson isn't that guy.

We simply don't have a roster or assets to acquire a guy like that. There has to be a reason for a trade like that to occur -- why on earth would anyone from Phoenix or Toronto do a deal where they give up that guy and get little in return? Just as a note, the Golden State Warriors were offering the #7 pick in the draft, Andris Biedrins (a really talented young center who averages a double-double) OR Anthony Randolph (Golden State's best young player) and possibly something else in the deal. And that deal still didn't get anywhere with Toronto.

Our only option is to sign one of them as a free agent next season, but it's far too premature to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

Shaq (59.5%) is actually a better free throw shooter than Ben Wallace (42.2%) was. He'll shoot more free throws than Ben Wallace did because he draws far more fouls, but percentage-wise, the swap is actually an improvement.

The good thing about this deal is:

1. They gave up a pile of oranges for him.

2. Pavlovic will be released by Phoenix in a cost-cutting move so if we want him back we can.

3. Shaq's going to be motivated because he has an opportunity to assist Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, and Lebron James to titles. Not to mention, it could be his last season in the NBA. Not to mention, a title puts him 1+ on Kobe.

4. It's just a 1-year deal. If it doesn't work, not only does it only last 1 season, but he's also an all-important expiring contract which can be used in a blockbuster deal mid-season.

The only thing I'll say is that I wish it would have happened last season based on how irrelevent Ben and Sasha were in the Conference Finals.

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 06-25-2009 at 11:10 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,055 times
Shaq and Kobe made a great combination, I hope he can revitalize the Cavs and do the same with LeBron and the rest of the guys.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:13 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,630,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Shaq and Kobe made a great combination, I hope he can revitalize the Cavs and do the same with LeBron and the rest of the guys.
They dont need revitalized, they already are one of the NBA's best teams. They need people around Lebron, thats all.

So we know about Shaq. Any other big names coming to the Cavs? They have the market...

Old 06-28-2009, 04:56 PM

433 posts, read 875,854 times
Before they made the trade for shaq they could have gave up people that were at the end of their contracts or had a year left like wallace, wally syzerbiak, and joe smith. I gaurantee that the raptors will not be able to sign chrish bosh. He is going to be a free agent along with Lebron and alot of of top notch players. Phoenix is in the same situation, that is why they gave up shaq for basically nothing because they wanted to dump salary and be in the sweepstakes for 2010 free angency. That is the only way it can work. We were in the best situation to get pretty much what ever we wanted because of contracts that will be expired soon. I am not saying that Shaq is a bad move because it's not I am saying that they need a young athletic poward forward that can move the defense out on the perimeter. Actually now more than ever because Shaq will not be anywhere on the floor but around the paint area. If andy starts who is going to come off the bench. Joe smith is done. It does not matter what you actually do doing the regular season it is the playoffs that matter. He completely dissapered in the rotation during the conference finals. JJ. hickson and Darnell Jackson are no where near ready. I like Andy but I like him better coming off the bench. He does not play the pick and roll that well. I know it is early but if Shaq does not work out even with his contract done we still will not be in any better position than what we were at the beggining of the offseason. We still will need another center and maybe another one to replace Z. as well. I am not sure that he is going to worth that much at this point in his career. I belive that next year he is at the end of his contract. From the way that management is talking they almost sound content with the move like it is going to put us over the top when it won't. With a healthy Kevin Garnett and big Baby who mad a huge stride last season that will cause problems with our poward forward rotation looking the way it is. If the Cavaliers do not make a significant move with a YOUNG PROVEN PLAYER at the poward foward position the Cavs will not win the title.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 11,684 times
hey sleepy eyes the offseason just started give it time! we still have alot of time to pic someone up we can still trade wally and z witchwe might do so just cool down and wait we all no we need a pf who can stretch the d but we have time

Old 06-30-2009, 09:20 AM

Wally is an expired contract, so he is a free agent. The Cavs don't "own" him anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland