U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:07 PM

9,458 posts, read 14,366,264 times
Default Urban Active - Did i get a good deal?

Went to Urban Active at Legacy Village to check the place out. It was very clean, lots of equipment, etc... No comparison to Ballys, thats for sure... so my wife and i signed up....

Since i am the quitter type (being honest here), i signed up for a month to month plan... 13 days total free trial, i can quit, not lose a dime, contract starts the 19th.. cost $44 per month, no enrollment fee...

My wife (completely dedicated type) signed up for 24 months, paid in full, 3 months free to start.. she can go for 3 months and then quit, nothing lost, contract starts 12-5-08... total cost $449 for 2 years...

they only took name address etc.. no social security number information...

seemed fantastic for what you get...i figured if i liked it, in 2 months, i will do the paid in full deal also...

cheaper than i was paying at bally's 11 years ago..

her plan allows her to go to any club, mine is limited to legacy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 AM

181 posts, read 596,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Some gyms are taking down SSNs now? Yikes.

I happen to think all of these types of places are rip-offs, but thats just me...

Old 09-06-2008, 06:37 PM

80 posts, read 187,466 times
Default Yes, indeed...

You both have nice deals. Most other gyms don't have big pools or the great entertainment offered while using the equipment. And, as I mentioned before,U.A. has great classes. I am going to follow your lead, my friend. I like the month to month deal. Winters can be brutal in Cleveland. I might just opt for my warm fireplace and a home treadmill more often than not in the dead of winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Went to Urban Active at Legacy Village to check the place out. It was very clean, lots of equipment, etc... No comparison to Ballys, thats for sure... so my wife and i signed up....

Since i am the quitter type (being honest here), i signed up for a month to month plan... 13 days total free trial, i can quit, not lose a dime, contract starts the 19th.. cost $44 per month, no enrollment fee...

My wife (completely dedicated type) signed up for 24 months, paid in full, 3 months free to start.. she can go for 3 months and then quit, nothing lost, contract starts 12-5-08... total cost $449 for 2 years...

seemed fantastic for what you get...i figured if i liked it, in 2 months, i will do the paid in full deal also...

cheaper than i was paying at bally's 11 years ago..

her plan allows her to go to any club, mine is limited to legacy

Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 25,475 times
Wow, I am feeling ripped off!!! I signed up in August for the same 24 mo + 3 mo free that your wife got. I think I ended up paying about $650, roughly $22/mo (no enrollment fee). My friend went in to consider signing up and they offered her a month-to-month deal, no enrollment fee and $30/mo plus tax.
BUT... I do love the gym, great classes, nice facility. My biggest complaints are that there aren't enough water fountains (dumb design), and no classes after noon on the weekends. But overall, huge improvement over my last gym (121 in Univ Circle).

Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 AM

83 posts, read 197,802 times
Urban Active is a great gym. But watch your belongings in the locker room....there have been lots of major thefts there.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 24,434 times
Urban Active is a horrible gym when it comes to customer service. I canceled my two year contract after it ended in December and still am being billed. Was told I only canceled half of my membership (the tanning portion) and must pay off the back pay balance before I can cancel (AGAIN). Receiving no feedback from the company!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:52 PM

it's not the company that handles the billing, it is a collection agency... google it! when you signed up for tanning, that sent it to a collection agency to handle the regular billing.. i will find out the name of the company as soon as i get a chance

Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM

the name of the company doing billing is Affiliated Acceptance. They are the one's causing your grief. The tanning portion (or fitness trainers) is separate billing from urban active itself.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 17,039 times
Default Urban Active-BUYER BEWARE

Anyone that thinks Urban Active is great...just wait. You will NOT be able to cancel your membership--even when the contract has expired. My significant other and I have made 4 attempts to cancel. We have stood at their desk, signed their forms, advised we would no longer be billed and are still being billed. Of course, you must pay for 2 more months after your contract expiration. We waited out the 2 months. I just saw my billing statement and they are still billing me -- beyond the 2 months. I would have never joined if I knew that they were such a shoddy organization. They are rude, obnoxious, and have total disdain for anyone that wants out of a contract -- even after expiration!
I understand that you believe you have a great deal, but it will come with a price when you decide you no longer want to pay for that membership. More than you think!
BUYER BEWARE!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:52 AM

50 posts, read 85,136 times
NEVER agree to auto-billing by a gym (or any company apart from possibly your mortage lender). Do NOT pay with a creditcard or debit card...send a check or pay cash.

And FitWorks is around $25/month, so depending on the facility, might be too high.

Did you even consider the YMCA? Still one of the best deals around...last time I looked, $400/year or so per family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: