U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:50 PM

683 posts, read 2,093,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19hsm View Post
The traffic is really that bad? Like standstill between 4-6 or what? Oh great. What about lyndhurst area? We're really stuck because we like twinsburg but nothing is popping up in our price range. Aurora/Mentor is too far away. And its just frustrating us. We've decided to stick in that area for the high way access and not taking in my commute into the equation since my commute will be during odd/non-rush hour time frames.
Ok - not trying to frustrate you . It really is hard to find a nice home in a safe area, with decent schools, for under $200k, when you are considering traffic/commute to Warrensville Heights. Seven Hills is a nice area, but their schools are lacking (it is pretty well understood that you live in Seven Hills when you're young and without children, or an empty nester/retired.) And, that section of 480 can be horrible for a commute. If you can hit it at off-times, it isn't as bad.

My suggestions, for what it's worth: the Solon/Glenwillow area (Glenwillow being less expensive but still within the Solon schools), Twinsburg (including limited parts of the township), and Mayfield *Village*. The homes there are not as easy to come by but definitely worth trying to get. Mayfield Village, for example, is very small and has a lower home turnover rate - houses there are limited at any given time. Lyndhurst has some nice areas also.

And no, these areas don't have the character of Shaker Heights, etc. But they also don't have some of the problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 11:16 PM

5 posts, read 21,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19hsm View Post
We found a cute house in Brunswick but I had heard that area isn't the best. Anyone have any info?
The only real downside to Brunswick is trying to drive down 303 during rush hour. Other than that, it's quite a nice place to live. So nice, in fact, that we are selling our place in Akron to move back there.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:30 PM
amc

2 posts, read 8,804 times
Default Don't like the east side

I just moved to the east side (University Heights) from Lakewood a couple of months ago and I'm really regretting it. I don't like the east side at all. It takes me 20 minutes just to get to a highway (I-271). But in Lakewood I could be anywhere in greater Cleveland in less than a half hour. In Lakewood I was 5 minutes or less away from I-90, Route 2, I-71, I-176, I-480 and I-77. The other downside to the east side is that there's virtually no access to the lake.

The west side just has a nicer feel to it, too. I can't quite describe what it is. I've found that west-siders are generally friendlier. Plus it's all on a grid so it's virtually impossible to get lost on the west side. The east side is super confusing.

I'm not a big fan of outer-ring suburbs. I don't feel like they have any character. They probably have better, schools, though, which is important for families with kids.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:27 AM

3 posts, read 11,236 times
Default Don't Forget Orange City

Solon, Orange City and Beachwood has better a school school system than Shaker, but its very close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCle View Post
In this area, Solon, Shaker Heights, Beachwood, Cleveland Heights and Mayfield probably offer the best schools. The rest are good, if your children do their work. I say this because the way by which schools in Ohio are ranked is flawed. It bases the rank on how well students do on the state proficiency test. This doesn't count in how many skilled teachers a district has, or how well students who normally study and do homework do, versus those that JUST come to school and do nothing else. Lots of schools are weighted down due to lazy students not just bad schools overall. School ranking in Ohio is a complicated issue, sorry to get caught up on that.

By the way, where are you living now?

Old 10-07-2007, 08:50 PM

61 posts, read 168,704 times
beachwood,solon,twinsburg,cleveland heights,parma,euclid,shaker,chagrin falls,macadonia,and a couple of others are cool areas to live.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:06 PM

8 posts, read 30,995 times
Hey Painesville Townshhip is great! Great schools and new homes! We live in Heisley Park built by ryan homes you should check it out prices start at 175+ wich isnt bad at all for the upscale area! Check it out and let me know!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 PM

48 posts, read 154,260 times
Having lived through a medical residency not too many years ago, I would say the most important thing is living in proximity to the hospital. I trained at University Hospitals in Cleveland and lived very nearby in Cleveland Heights. After a miserable night on call (30 hours), there were times that I was too tired to make the one mile commute home, and had to get a ride. Most of the time post-call I would be leaving the hospital after noon conference, so traffic was not an issue.

Assuming your spouse is in a residency at South Pointe Hospital in Warrensville, I would recommend looking for a house north of the hospital, convenient to either Warrensville, Green, or Richmond Roads. This would include eastern parts of Shaker Hts, (Beachwood is probably too much $$), and suburbs such as University Hts, South Euclid, and Lyndhurst. This would avoid the traffic hassles of I-271 and still be within a reasonable 10-15 minute drive of the hospital. There should be plenty of houses in the $125-150k range.

West and south of the hospital the neighborhoods are dicey (Lee-Harvard-Miles and Warrensville Heights), and east of the hospital (Pepper Pike, Orange) is way out of a resident's price range.

University Heights is a quiet suburb with good stores including a Whole Foods, Target, and Macy's at Cedar and Warrensville, a Heinen's grocery at Cedar and Green, and other small shops and restaurants. Legacy Village is just east at Cedar and Richmond in Lyndhurst, and is a "lifestyle center" shopping development. Beachwood Mall is also on Cedar and has Nordstrom, Saks, and Dillard's.

The schools are good but not excellent - you don't mention any children so I don't know how much of a factor that is for you.

For your commute, there is easy access to I-271 at Cedar and Mayfield Rds (except Mayfield is currently a construction disaster, and Cedar gets very trafficky around Christmas due to the mall)

Old 12-09-2007, 11:34 PM

30 posts, read 70,528 times
I moved from NYC to Cleveland last year. It has been an incredibly difficult adjustment. My Husband and I live in Rocky River which is on the West Side and very nice. I work in Beachwood so I spend a significant amount of time on the East side and I am much happier on the west. Just a better vibe.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:03 PM

186 posts, read 667,454 times
Default honest opinion . . .

I know moving to an "unknown" area can be very discerning. I live on the westside, but also lived on the eastside of Cleveland as well for many years. Understand that you will find that the east and west sides of Cleveland (unlike other cities) are very separated, meaning, people usually do not like to live on the side they were not raised in!!

I was raised on the west side, but I also enjoyed the east side too! West is more blue collar. I do find west siders a little more friendlier.

East siders are know to be more wealthy and artsy. The only thing I did not like about the east side is that it is very choppy . . . meaning you can have a really nice neighborhood, and then all of a sudden, go several blocks and be surrounded by ghetto.

The west is more gradual. Meaning, the lower end of the west side (closest to downtown) is crappy, but the further you go west, it gets better.

If your spouse is going to be training in Warrensville Hts., then personally, I'd remain on the east side. I don't know why anyone would want to live in Shaker Hts., Cleveland Hts., or University Hts. They are taxed to death, and the areas are very choppy. Nice housing is expensive. However, for a reasonable starter home, safe area, and good schools, I would suggest Mayfield Hts. Not only do you have the freeway close, but Mayfield Road is a great alternative to getting around the University Hospital's system. It's a centrally located road.

Good luck in your price range. If you were thinking of a new house . . . forget it. You'd have to move to the boonies for that type of house. As a person who has moved in and out-of-state before, I highly advise renting for awhile until you get a feel for the area and housing prices.

* Parma and Seven Hills - - VERY INCONVIENTLY located, schools stink, highly taxed. Most houses were built in the 1950s to 1970's. Your spouse would despise the commute.

* Streesboro, Twinsburg, Aurora . . Streetsboro (hillbilly/redneck), Twinsburg (Mixed), Aurora (mixed, but some $$). The commute would get old very fast. Traffic going to and from Warrensville would be a nightmare during rush hour or snow. Remember, the east side is in what we call the "Snowbelt," meaning they always get a lot more snow than the west side because of the way they are positioned on the lake!!!!

* South Euclid: Used to be very nice (some areas still are), but is has been going down-hill. Lyndhurst is the same, but a little better. They are on the same school system which is decent.

* Beachwood: Very expensive. I can't see you finding something in your range. Sorry. Nice area though.

* Bedford, Warrensville, Highland Hills, Garfield: Blah. Higher crime rates, depressing.

* Painsville: Ugh. Redneck. Lots of illegal immigration problems. They try to entice everyone with new home pricing. The resale would suck. But then again, nothing is selling now anywhere.

* Eastlake: Can you say Walmart?

* Mayfield Hts., Mayfield Village, and Highland Heights. Nice. Great school system. Mix of mostly old, but some new developments in Highland Heights. New housing in Highland Hts is $350K and up! Close to the metropark system, target, restaurants, freeway, kohls, home depot, etc.

* Brunswick / Medina: Would be very far for your husband and the drive would be a nightmare. Hillbilly, but they are trying to transform themselves. Brunswick is still called "Bruns-tuckey."

* North Royalton and Broadview Hts: South. Hard commute. Nice areas. High taxes. You'd have a choice to commute using I-77 or I-71 (depending on how West or East you are), but it would really, really get old.

* Independence . . . this would be mid-way, but it is a really nice area. Wouldn't be a bad drive for the hubby. Very low taxes, but they make up for that in the prices of their homes!!!

* West side . . . well, I really think your husband would get frustrated with the drive after awhile. However, if you do look on that side, Fairview Park, North Olmsted, Lakewood, Bay Village, and Westlake are nice. Fairview is affordable (very similar to a Mayfield Hts., but they have high taxes. The school system is average). Lakewood is highly taxed, very strict city rules, cops love to ticket everyone, and they are having some social issues more than other areas. Old homes. My brother is leaving there after living there for 15 years. Blah.

I hope this helps. I'm not trying to be negative, but honest. Really, the east side would be the most convenient for you. Regardless, I found very nice people on each side. It's what you make of it.

Good luck, and welcome to the area.

Last edited by cleveburg; 01-06-2008 at 11:14 PM..

Old 01-07-2008, 12:38 AM

21 posts, read 60,330 times
I have to put my 2 cents in. I was born and raise in Lyndhurst and would still be there if my husbands job had not taken us away. We only moved 3 weeks ago. I would check out Lyndhurst. It is cheaper than Mayfield and like was said before if your child does the work and you are willing to get involved, the schools are ok. My two had great teachers and wonderful experience. If you look to stay around the freeway area you will get some nice houses and still not have that long of a cummute to Erie. Plus with it being a buyers market you might just get a better bang for the buck.

Sorry about the taxes just keep your eyes open and don't forget to check out the Cleveland Metroparks. Yes, Rocky River Res. is nice but so is North Chagrin and South Chagrin. Plus if you want things to do Check out IGO - The Insitute of the Great Outdoor.

Enjoy you time in Cleveland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland