U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 7,207 times

Advertisements

One more thing, what Pinipeanut said about the snow belt is somewhat true. Yes, I live in Canada, but I hate the snow, lol! The snow belt is not in the Cleveland heights area, but it is further east. Another member mentioned something about higher taxes in lakewood, and the same is for cleveland heights. The cops may seem annoying to some, but they are there when you need them. I also worked in cleveland ehights so i found no problems manuvering in the snow, because they are awesome sith snow clean up. At work, I used to watch the sparks fly when the snow plows came by b/c of the mtal plow hitting the non snow covered pavement. They take good care of you in the heights. One word of caution though, follow the rules of the parking meters. The Cleveland Heights cops are parking meter ninjas. You never see them, but you will see a ticket on your car. If you plan an outting to a coventry bar, and you are not walking there, park in the lot with the drug mart. If you are luck to get one of those 8 or so sopts right by the drug store entrance, you will not need to put money in them after 9 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,887 times
Hello,
I'm completely new to this site, but I thought I'd offer my input. I'm a displaced Clevelander, currently living in Salzburg, Austria. I have, however, lived in Cleveland, Parma and Lakewood.
I would have to say that my favorite experience was Lakewood. I was renting at the time and lived in a beautiful older home. The City of Lakewood provides (or at least did provide) services that other cities don't. An example, they remove the trash from the backyard. I worked downtown and liked that I only needed 15 minutes (and that's with bad traffic) to get to my office. Nightlife in Lakewood is great, and people (in general) just need to get over the whole gay thing. Regardless of sexual orientation, you can have a great time on any night of the week in Lakewood and feel safe doing so. There are also great places to both shop and eat in and very close to Lakewood.
Parma is Parma. I know everyone likes to pick on it, and to an extent, it is justified. However, you can live cheaply in a larger space in Parma, and if you stay close to Brookpark Road, you're not too far from 176, and the downtown commute really isn't bad. It's not the most beautiful city, but it's affordable and relatively close to the city. It really just matters what your priorities are, I guess.
I lived on the west side of Cleveland, the Old Brooklyn area, and had a great experience there. I had great neighbors, a great council person and the zoo was right there. I'm not really into the zoo, but a lot of people are.
Ok, I babbled too much, I'm sorry. I love living in Europe, but my heart will always belong to Cleveland, and I guess I'm just missing it a little bit at the moment!
Good luck with your decision

Old 04-29-2007, 03:14 AM

2,500 posts, read 3,244,544 times
I lived in Lakewood for 15 years, and absolutely loved it. If you're going to CSU and live on/near the 55X Clifton busline, it's an easy commute... Or driving time is only 10-15 minutes depending on which part of Lakewood you're in.

As for Lakewood apartment living, I always favored the Clifton-Lake-Edgewater area from West 117th to about Nicholson... lots of great apartments, mostly vintage, some modern, lots of singles, both gay and straight... If you'd prefer living in a house over an apartment, other parts of Lakewood have lots of doubles (one unit up, one down) although they'll tend to be a bit pricier because most are two-bedroom units and you'll likely pay your own heat... Lakewood also has a great bar scene if you're into that, and some of the shopping areas have somewhat of a "counterculture" feel to them, Madison Village in particular... and there are coffee shops in downtown Lakewood and a number of good restaurants (including Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, etc.)... I'd say that although there is crime, Lakewood is overall very safe... the crime rate well below the national average.

There are some nice neighborhoods in Cleveland, too. The Edgewater neighborhood is a lot like Lakewood, but across West 117th on the Cleveland side of the border, down to about West Boulevard or Edgewater Park or so... lots of good apartments on Clifton or Lake there.

Cleveland's West Park area is mostly nice, too, although a bit more suburbanesque... nicest areas there are on/off Rocky River Drive north of Lorain, but that's mostly single-family homes...

Closer in to downtown on the West Side, Ohio City and Tremont are very cool (and popular) Cleveland neighborhoods, although crime is definitely an issue.

The Warehouse District on downtown's western edge is a cool area, too, although rather pricey, and crime is still a concern.

I'd avoid Parma... I find it dull and culturally boring, but that's just my personal preference. Also, commuting time to CSU will be longer from there.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,014 times
it doesn't really matter where you live as long as you find a nice area. lakewoods crime rate is rising slowly. clevelands just cleveland still. and parma still sounds like cheese to me. but really if you want to move to lakewood don't move to birdtown or on warren. i live here. also most of the youth and half of the adults here smoke marijuana and are a bunch of fake ghetto white kids. also on gangs that we have here we have latin kings, crips, bloods, folks, and a relatively new gang that originated here called G.M.B. its still a nice city though. thats why i live here

Old 06-21-2009, 02:40 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,024,505 times
parma covers a large area, its clevelands largest suburb. some parts are more urban and some (south) parts are quiet and suburban.imo most streets are crowded bungolo type housing with small yards.. the funny thing, it has become metro clevelands largest ethnic "nieghborhood" of sorts. many eastern europeans,italians,polish,ukranion,russians,german s,etc all are here. stores,bakeries,deli's,etc..reflect that.. and schools are decent, the crime is low for ohios 7th largest city.... the reason clevelanders never embrace parma is because it still has the stigma of being "white" and "racist".. ps-evilbunnyrampage, eveyone smokes pot in parma too ! doesnt everyone? (maybe time to legalize and another post).

Old 06-21-2009, 11:47 PM

601 posts, read 1,261,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
the funny thing, it has become metro clevelands largest ethnic "nieghborhood" of sorts. many eastern europeans,italians,polish,ukranion,russians,german s,etc all are here. stores,bakeries,deli's,etc..reflect that.. and schools are decent, the crime is low for ohios 7th largest city.... the reason clevelanders never embrace parma is because it still has the stigma of being "white" and "racist".. ps-evilbunnyrampage, eveyone smokes pot in parma too ! doesnt everyone? (maybe time to legalize and another post).

A friend of mine bought a house in Parma last year and I just finally went up there to check it out. What actually surprised me, is that Parma now has a burgeoning Asian community! I was surprised to see quite a number of Asian grocery stores and churches while I was there.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:21 PM

416 posts, read 583,759 times
Default What ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
parma covers a large area, its clevelands largest suburb. some parts are more urban and some (south) parts are quiet and suburban.imo most streets are crowded bungolo type housing with small yards.. the funny thing, it has become metro clevelands largest ethnic "nieghborhood" of sorts. many eastern europeans,italians,polish,ukranion,russians,german s,etc all are here. stores,bakeries,deli's,etc..reflect that.. and schools are decent, the crime is low for ohios 7th largest city.... the reason clevelanders never embrace parma is because it still has the stigma of being "white" and "racist".. ps-evilbunnyrampage, eveyone smokes pot in parma too ! doesnt everyone? (maybe time to legalize and another post).
most all

Old 08-30-2009, 08:40 PM

6,085 posts, read 6,177,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post

Cleveland's West Park area is mostly nice, too, although a bit more suburbanesque... nicest areas there are on/off Rocky River Drive north of Lorain, but that's mostly single-family homes...
It amazes me that everyone thinks the "good part" of Westpark is north of Lorain. I live south of Lorain in the nicest house on my street. IMO, of course. lol
But the area south of Lorain is very nice, quiet, and safe, too.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,777 times
Question does parma have a gestapo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
If you are looking to stay away from crime I would say Parma
parma, the city that will have 3 cars staked out waiting for you with a tint meter for your windows (for the third ticket before my day in court)... was wondering when they were gonna bring out the dogs on my car or something, surely they weren't sitting there waiting for me to pick up my wife from work on a holiday sunday just to test my window tint that they already gave me 2 tickets for... were they? brings the tally up to approx $600 for having my windows tinted (even though i called parma police to make sure the tint i wanted to use was legal before applying it) before i get the chance to say not guilty... word to the wise, OJ is lucky he didn't live in parma, not sure he would have been found not guilty 3 seperate times

Old 09-07-2009, 10:54 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,024,505 times
parmadoesntlikeus, what do you mean "your not sure" ? his @ss would have fried !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland