Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:43 PM

6 posts, read 16,161 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job offer from a Niles OH company. Any suggestion as to where to live between Niles, OH, and Cleveland? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 10:02 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
This should probably be posted in the General Ohio forum. I'm not sure where you are moving from, but Niles is about 70 miles or about an hour and fifteen minutes from Cleveland.

Anyway, you should probably tell us what kind of area you are looking for, do you need good schools? what kind of stores do you want nearby? are you looking to rent or buy? If you could answer those questions it would be a lot easier for us to help you.

Also, you should know that once you get NW of Warren/Niles there really isn't much out there until you reach the southeastern Cleveland suburbs. It's mostly rural/amish country.

If you have any questions about Niles or the surrounding area i can definitely help you with that.

Cortlandgirl79

Old 11-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Thanks.... I have kids, aged 4 and 6 respectively so definitely looking for school districts. I don't mind commuting one way to work max 1 hour. So Southeast Cleveland is a good choice. For shops, a Costco would be nice. We have not decided to buy or rent residence at the moment.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:12 PM

Do you live in Cleveland now? I'm just wondering why you aren't looking into the area surrounding Niles?

Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 PM

We are Chinese and looking for a Chinese community. Niles OH does not have a nearby location with a Chinese community. So either Pittsburgh or Cleveland.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:48 PM

Ok, i understand now. I'm not sure how many Chinese live in the Niles/Youngstown area, but there a some. Most of the asians i have seen in our area live in Boardman or Howland. Obviously there are probably more in Cleveland or Pittsburgh, but i'm not sure on the numbers.

The SE Cleveland suburbs i hear a lot about are Hudson, Solon, and Beechwood.

Do you have experience driving in the snow??? I ask because the area between Cleveland and Niles is in the snow belt. If you are't good at winter driving i definitely wouldn't want to make that commute. I'm not saying it can't be done, because many people from my area commute to Cleveland and Akron everyday. I just think it might make more sense for you to live in the Niles area and then maybe travel to Cleveland or Pittsburgh when you want to spend time w/in the Chinese community. I suppose if you lived here you could take advantage of both communities (Clev and Pitt) since we are an hour from both.

If your heart is still set on the Cleveland area, hopefully someone that lives up there can direct you to the right place for you. Good luck with the new job.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:10 PM

Thanks. I assume you live in the Niles OH area? Pittsburgh is another viable option for us. Maybe Howland or Boardman is not that bad after all.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Yes, i live just north of Niles in Warren. Before moving here i owned a house in Niles for seven years. If you have any questions about the area just let me know.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:18 PM

Thanks. What is the reputation of RTI International Metals in the area? Do you know anyone working there?

Old 11-01-2008, 11:30 PM

Locally, RTI is know as RMI Titanium. I think the company has a pretty good reputation in the area. They union employees had a strike there a few years back, but as far as i know business is good at the moment. I don't really know a lot of people that work there, but a lot of the hourly employees live in Niles. I know one guy (a classmate's father) that works for them in some sort of upper management position. Recently he moved from Cortland to the Pittsburgh area. I think this is because RTI decided to move their executive offices to Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland