U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:34 AM

332 posts, read 2,111,255 times

Advertisements

More From The Plain Dealer | Subscribe To The Plain Dealer
New, redone theaters to anchor Gordon Square Arts District
Friday, December 29, 2006
Joe Guillen
Plain Dealer Reporter
From the outside, the old Capitol Theatre on West 65th Street is practically invisible.

The theater's anonymous set of green doors, boarded-up ticket booth and archway lined with empty light bulb fixtures easily are hidden among the surrounding storefronts in the Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood.

cleveland.com: Everything Cleveland

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 01:16 AM

High-tech jobs go begging in Northeast Ohio
Posted by Mary Vanac March 29, 2007 19:38PM
Categories: Business
It was bound to happen.

Northeast Ohio and the state have invested some $800 million in the last five years to develop the region's high-technology sectors. ...

High-tech jobs go begging in Northeast Ohio - The Cleveland Plain Dealer Early Edition - Read tomorrow's stories today

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 01:22 PM..

Old 03-30-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Cleveland Clinic is "Growing like Crazy!"

Cleveland Clinic buys former MBNA property
Posted by Henry J. GomezMary Vanac March 30, 2007 19:25PM
Categories: Business
The Cleveland Clinic, running short on space at its main campus, has found a solution in the suburbs, acquiring 53 acres in Beachwood once occupied by the former MBNA Corp.

The deal includes five buildings and about 707,000 square feet of office space. The Clinic will lease more than half of that back to Bank of America Corp., which bought credit card giant MBNA last year...

Cleveland Clinic buys former MBNA property - The Cleveland Plain Dealer Early Edition - Read tomorrow's stories today

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 01:23 PM..

Old 03-31-2007, 12:01 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,098,679 times
WARNING LONG POST!

You know ive only been to Lake Erie a few times. None in the winter time. I thought Cleveland overall was really dirty. There was trash everywhere you looked and something old and falling apart. Im really excited for you diehard Clevelanders. I like the idea of rebuilding a neighborhood at a time. It may take awhile but I think it would be worth it if they really get it right.

I also like the move towards better medical system. I think Ohio in general should really try and step up the medial field. Doctors, Dentists and Nurses are needed everywhere in the world.

I wish we could pay our policeman and teachers more. I think if we were willing to pay teachers better salaries we could speed up renovating inner city schools and public schools in general. I think better paid policemen may be the difference between disgruntled ones and more rational ones also.

Anyway one of these days I may end up in Cleveland. Although im not to keen on the nuclear plant on Clevelands west side at the lake. I wish it was relocated or done away with altogether. I would also like to see alot of different trees and plants brought in that could grow in the area. I think people genuinly appreciate natural beauty in trees and other plants.

One thing I always wanted to see was different architecture. Old smoke stacks, chain link fences and delapidated factories are ingrained in my head. Parts of it start to look third world.

I always wanted to see a futuristic city in Ohio. Something like out of the Jetsons with Frank Lloyd Wright type of stuff and split level ranches, but made with care so they feel homey. Im a sucker for bridges, unique architectual styles, and modern technology. Everyone wants something. Im no different. But most of the things I think of arent practical. I think of things that would make Ohio truely unique and things I think people would love.

Seattle does some good architectual things. I would like to see more cities and areas having different styles and focus on families in the US and our quality of life. I never really thought the cold or snow was a big deal. Now the cloudy weather lasting for sometimes two weeks at a time is harsh sometimes when everyone seems to be down at the same time.

All in all I hope Ohio stays affordable and family friendly in every way. A big turn around could make people see dollar signs everywhere. And I think housing prices are way to high as it is. Although cheaper housing tends to be all cookie cutter suburbs and makes people feel uninspired. It kind of mitagates ideas and dreams. Housing has really taken a lot out of people and families in every state. Some grind to the bone trying to get ahead. Others say it isnt worth it. But in the end none of us take anything with us. Im not big on the day to day type strategy. I like long thought out strategies without over analyzing things that way you can expect some surprises.

I admit I almost totally gave up. I feared Ohio taking more federal dollars would lead to an Imperial state legislature making policies on its own terms to pelase the new business. Plus I worry about those new business inflating the local eonomies and moving elsewhere when they max out the area.

I think Ohio really needs to be much more small business friendly to excel. Local economies need to be bolstered more by smaller local companies.

If I were a billionaire I would do some of the coolest things people ever seen or experienced right in Ohio. Even change core fundementals in how people live and work. I would strive to create some smaller micromanaged towns with strong local economies. I would also make smaller but much more efficient housing where everything is made for function and design. The housing would include antibacertail paint and surfaces and have increased oxygen pumped into the house and the pressure increased. I think that would do wonders for peopels small nagging illnesses and prolong life quite a bit. I would have universities research new housing designs no holds barred to try and create housing that cost only a fraction of todays. I can draw up some really cool types of structures.

I would create businesses that would allow workers to work half of the day and attend college the other half. That way people would learn their entire lifetime not just a couple years of college. The work place would also have daycare and shuttle kids to schools.

I would use a lot of terraforming and try and mold entire landscapes to be more pleasing for people by creating hills, valleys, lakes, waterfalls, forests, entangled forests and such. I would really take a page from an RPG game and create some really neat stuff. Its definitely part of my desire and pasion to create things and make them cooler.

And as a personal request I would fund universities to try and come up with a rapid growth strategy for trees and other plants. Imagine giant flowers and trees! I always wanted to see the big trees in Cali. Plus those big plants are going to give off a lot of oxygen. I would also work to have any genetic maipulation in fresh produce done away with. And hormones in meat done away with. Every city in ohio would also get a fresh produce market that was grown locally outdoors and indoors.

I would build some apartments in underwater aquariums with coral reefs in the water. I would do some styles to bring the old world designs back with a new type of modern retro feel it. Things to really please people and show what man can do if he tries. I'd even go as far to try and invent new types of roads not dependant on asphalt. Of course for every job that was lost I would try and create two more equally or better paying jobs.

The only reason I would want to make a profit from any of it is because I would show people the things i wnated to do. If I had a large income coming in I could keep doing them for people. But if it came down to it and a think-tank of really down to Earth people couldnt figure out a way, then I think I would just give it all away after it was done.

I would even go as far as to try and build two cities nearby and make use of flying cars between the two cities. I would defintely relocate many inner city people and bumbs into some really cool housing and towns that I would build too. I dont believe that the poor are the problem. I think its the people with the power that decide things for other that would be the problem. Im a dreamer and a creative person at heart. I always think of things or try and sovle problems. A lot of times society doesnt seem like it actually wants to solve problems unless its benefitting a large business.

I would try and push the boundary and really see if society could be revolutionized. I think our standards in the country have lowered a lot. The American spirit was always to dream big, do the impossible. Create a place where people dont have to search very hard to find happiness. Where it comes natural because their lives are filled with goodness.

Oh yea and people want swimming pools. Not only is swimming fun but its great excersize. Everyone should have a swimming pool. We wouldnt have near as many heart attacks, blood clots, and obese people. Bike riding is fun, bu swimming is about the best excersize there is.

Lastly I would try and bring every indivual and resedntial place complete off the grid enegry independence. Its a wste paying monthly bills to companies that are just there to perpetuate business. Todays technology could offer people complete energy independence. I would try and tackle waste managment also by finding common packaging solutions from organic materials and maybe look into some way for each resedential person to dispose of their own trash.

Its fun to dream isnt it?

Old 03-31-2007, 12:07 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,098,679 times
Plus I would go on a Johnny Appelseed trip and go around the state replanting forests with a lot of variety. And somehow try and make the rivers cleaner by making the rivers and lakes flow through more rocks so that its clearer and healthier for the fish.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:17 PM

A preliminary overview for the plan that will be the core for Case Western's arts and retail district at the Intersection of Mayfield road, Euclid Avenue and Ford road. The area as previously mentioned will have retail stores including the new University book store, entertainment venues, The new Museum of Contemporary Art, condos and apartments.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:31 PM

Locations for Major Cleveland Developments:

This is just the bigger ones C-town not the smaller one.
The Avenue District

By summer the 10 story tower should be under construction right now they are doing preconstruction excavation.

East 9th street @ St Clair Avenue

http://www.theavenuedistrict.com/newlayout/

Flats East bank

They will likely be done with demolition and working on ripping out the streets and upgrading the sewers by summer.

Front Street @Old River road

http://forumarc.com/portfolio/flatseastbank/feb1.html

Stone Bridge Condominiums

The 12-story tower under construction now will be just about done by the time you get there.

Center Street @ Washington Avenue

http://www.stonebridge-condominiums.com/ (broken link)

Battery park

Some condos will be complete others will be under construction by summer.

East 73 north of Detroit Avenue

http://www.batteryparkcleveland.com/

St Luke's Pointe

Martin luther King Jr Drive @East 110th street
http://www.progressiveurban.com/homepage_frameset.htm (broken link)

Cleveland Clinic Heart Center

Euclid Avenue @ East 93rd

By summer the outside should be just about complete and work on the inside will have started. The Clinic is also building several other buildings at its main campus and the Greater Cleveland Area. University Hospitals and Lake Hospitals are also expanding throuhgout the area.

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heart...eartcenter.htm

The Euclid Corridor Project

All of Euclid Avenue between Public Square and Windemere in East Cleveland.

Work from Public Square to East 55th should be just about complete. Most work will likely be in sections of Euclid east of 55th to about E. 93rd.

http://www.euclidtransit.org/home.asp

The Triangle redevelopment

Don't know if construction/demolition will have started by this summer but preconstruction stuff will likely still be in process.

This is at Mayfield @ Euclid Avenue. The previous post details what is supposed to happen here.

Beacon Place

East 79th/81st @ Euclid and Chester Avenues
http://www.zarembahomes.com/community.asp?communid=5 (broken link)

This site has lots of other smaller residential developments going up in Cleveland
http://www.progressiveurban.com/homepage_middle_lowres.php (broken link)

This is another good site

http://www.zarembahomes.com/

Also this site has an even more extensive list of the new things going on in the city. Its starting to be so many I can't even keep up with them all.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=97396

Post if you want directions to some of the smaller ones

Old 04-13-2007, 06:33 PM

From Crains Cleveland Business:

Real estate brokers hope to bring $15M condominium complex to Detroit Avenue

By STAN BULLARD

6:00 am, March 12, 2007

Two former corporate real estate consultants who have carved a niche as investment property brokers want to add development to their profiles with a proposed, $15 million condominium project in Ohio City.

Dubbed One Charter Place, the project would consist of a six-story building and a connected four-story building at 3107 Detroit Ave. that would offer 50+ condominiums for sale. The project would exploit views of Lake Erie that existing low-rise commercial buildings on that stretch of Detroit leave untapped.

“Knowing the Shoreway will be calmed to improve pedestrian access to the lake is a huge part of our decision to develop here,” said Brian Cook, who is a partner in the proposed development with Brian Koch and a silent investor the two declined to identify. The city of Cleveland is studying a plan to transform the West Shoreway to a smaller four-lane boulevard with traffic lights allowing for more pedestrian access and lakefront development.

Joseph Mazzola, executive director of the nonprofit Ohio City Near West Development Corp., said he is excited about the plan.

“What’s really great about this project is that it is not just this project,” he said. “A whole stretch of Detroit has lake views.” If Charter Plaza flies, it could open the door for other mid-rise development on the street, Mr. Mazzola suggested, although he and his board want to retain existing businesses.

The project gained an OK Dec. 7 from Ohio City Near West’s Design Review Committee. The developers plan to seek Cleveland City Landmarks and City Planning Commission approvals this spring.

“We would like to be in the ground this summer and hope to deliver units by the summer of 2008,” Mr. Koch said. They have not taken the plan to the city yet because they are obtaining final construction cost estimates. Neither would put an estimate on the price of two-bedroom and two-bedroom-and-office flats.

Being good neighbors

Through Ohio City Development Partners — the development group that includes Messrs. Cook and Koch — the partners shelled out $655,000 last July for the former Cleveland Yacht & Supply Co. building, according to Cuyahoga County land records. They also have commissioned drawings by Berardi Partners, a Columbus architecture firm, and have worked extensively with neighborhood groups.

“We talked to the neighborhood before we drew a line on paper,” Mr. Koch said.

Those talks account for much of the project’s form: Neighbors opposed a monolithic building blocking their lake views. The result was a two-building complex with a three-story connector at ground level, a stepped design as it goes upward and courtyards on Detroit and Church Street.

Councilman Joe Cimperman, whose Ward 13 includes that section of Ohio City, said Messrs. Cook and Koch worked closely with Ohio City Near West and the Franklin-Clinton Block Club and proved they want to be good neighbors.

“They got phenomenal feedback that made the design better,” Mr. Cimperman said.

The proposed development is an adjunct to Mr. Koch and Mr. Cook’s primary endeavor, a boutique brokerage called Bridge Partners in Brecksville. The brokerage sells commercial investment property, particularly smaller apartment buildings in the $1 million to $5 million price range, although Bridge also has sold some two-family homes and four-suite apartments.

“That’s what pays the bills,” Mr. Koch said.

As for the name of the Detroit Avenue project, it stems from the shared predilection of Messrs. Koch and Cook for double-entendres. Mr. Koch is the son of Charles J.”Bud” Koch, chairman of Charter One Bank and a board member of its corporate owner, Citizens Financial Group Inc. of Providence, R.I.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:00 PM

Saturday, April 21, 2007
Cleveland posts RFP for wireless broadband network

The City of Cleveland has just posted the Request for Proposals (http://www.city.cleveland.oh.us/business_center/RFP/Documents/WIFI.htm (broken link)) for Mayor Jackson's planned citywide wireless broadband network.
Excerpts from the RFP's "Objectives" section:

The purpose of the RFP is to select a private-sector partner (a single Provider or group of partnering Providers) to own, fund, design, construct, operate, manage, maintain, repair and upgrade a wireless mesh broadband Internet network infrastructure. The wireless network will be used for the express purpose of increasing the broadband availability throughout the City to improve the quality of life for our citizens, businesses and visitors ...
The City’s private-sector partner (s) would be expected to provide:

• A dedicated and free wireless network for Internet access for the City’s safety and mobile workers to improve worker productivity. The wireless network will enable the City to use modern technology and applications to improve their productivity and deliver better government services more cost-efficiently and effectively. This means the network will be used for public and private purposes with appropriate separation and security for City use as required by the City.
• Affordable, universal Citywide Internet access will be available to citizens, businesses and visitors. Cleveland’s wireless broadband network must reach every neighborhood, every populated area. The City is seeking a proposal that offers free to low-cost service options to every Clevelander and visitor. In addition, non-profit organizations should receive special pricing.
• Free access in parks and other designated public places. Every designated public park, spaces with high-traffic, popular neighborhood destinations (i.e., airports, stadiums, arenas, Public Square, downtown) and other designated destination sites in the City will have free access to the new network.
• Free access in the Recreation Centers, CLIMB (Computer Learning In My Backyard)/CTC Centers or other designated programs, which help to increase Digital Literacy in our neighborhoods and close the gaps of those with access and those without access to modern technology. Building on the success of “Cleveland CTCs and the CLIMB initiative,” the new network must include support for these centers to offer more robust applications to support mobility and digital equity in underserved communities. This includes support for community-based applications, which are meaningful and include computer ownership for low-income households. The City expects a financial commitment to support these types of digital inclusion programs.
• Support for open access to multiple commercial, e.g., ISPs, or institutional service providers. The winning provider will allow other companies to participate in a wholesale model. The winning wireless provider is expected to market wholesale services and market directly to the residential, business and other government subscribers.

Proposals are due on May 19.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:01 PM

Regional branding effort ready to roll
RELATED LINKS
Greater Cleveland Partnership
Convention and Visitors Bureau of Greater Cleveland
Team NEO

By JOHN BOOTH

8:31 am, April 26, 2007

Will Cleveland+ equal regional success?

At a news conference scheduled for this morning at NASA Glenn Research Center, the Greater Cleveland Marketing Alliance will unveil its Cleveland+ (read as “Cleveland Plus”) regional branding campaign that aims to unify the tourism and economic development efforts of Northeast Ohio.

The centerpiece logo of the campaign features Cleveland+ in large print above the line “Akron + Canton + Youngstown” in smaller type. The city names are in red, the plus signs in gold.

The campaign was researched and created by the Cleveland office of Detroit-based ad agency Doner.

More than $3.5 million, most of which has been contributed by local corporations, will be invested in the campaign this year, and $5 million more is pledged for the next two years. Corporate donors include the Cleveland Clinic, Eaton Corp., Ernst & Young, Forest City Enterprises Inc., KeyCorp, Medical Mutual of Ohio, National City Corp., Parker Hannifin, RPM International Inc., Sherwin-Williams Co., Squire, Sanders & Dempsey and University Hospitals.

“This is the first time anyone can remember that there’s been money spent marketing the region,” said Tom Waltermire, CEO of business development organization Team NEO. “We created this as kind of an umbrella. From here on out, it’s about hundreds, thousands of individual uses.”

A marketing co-op of sorts

Team NEO, the Greater Cleveland Partnership and the Convention and Visitors Bureau of Greater Cleveland formed the Marketing Alliance — now known as the Cleveland+ Marketing Alliance — in 2006 to oversee a new regional branding campaign that could be applied to travel and tourism marketing, economic development pushes and local promotional efforts.

Greater Cleveland Partnership president Joe Roman said the Cleveland+ campaign is marketing’s answer to other regional cooperative efforts such as NorTech and Team NEO.

“You’re seeing a lot of the various actors and assets of these communities working together,” Mr. Roman said. “Now the marketing effort is amplifying that.”

The idea is for convention and visitors bureaus and chambers of commerce across Northeast Ohio to incorporate the Cleveland+ materials into their existing campaigns. A web site, www.clevelandplus.com, will offer a single point of contact for outsiders interested in the area.

“We really never have gone out and said in a concerted way that we’re all working together,” said Team NEO vice president of marketing and communications Carin Rockind. “We heard time and again that we were a difficult region to work with (because of that).”

Putting the plus in +

Jennifer Deutsch, senior vice president and general manager of Doner’s local office, said the agency tested several other branding possibilities before settling on Cleveland+. A dual-city brand, Cleveland-Akron, she said, didn’t carry the weight of similar identities like Dallas-Fort Worth and Minneapolis-St. Paul, and terms such as Greater Cleveland and North Coast were “geographically limiting and vague,” she explained.

Also, she said, “The plus sign allowed us to have a device we could leverage visually.”

The symbol is integrated into all three of the alliance’s planned campaigns.

A local image-boosting effort will take the form of print ads in local papers across the region, with the tagline, “We’ve got it all.” Some of the ads include a backdrop listing points of interest from the Cleveland Museum of Art to Mill Creek Park in Youngstown.

A print and radio tourism campaign will launch in Detroit, Pittsburgh and Columbus with the tagline, “Just add you,” while the economic development campaign’s slogan will be, “It all adds up.”

Mr. Roman of the Greater Cleveland Partnership is excited about the launch, but cautioned, “We didn’t come into this thinking we were doing a two- or three-year marketing blitz.”

“We need to do this for seven to 10 years,” he said. “That’s the only way we’re going to be able to take advantage of the assets. It’s going to be a long-term evolution.”

http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070426/FREE/70426001/1010&Profile=1010 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or