Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 10:45 PM

332 posts, read 2,251,998 times

Advertisements

^But when you make statements like "Yes if you are walking down a Cleveland street and someone sees fit to rob you they will." your credibility wanes. Yes Cleveland can be dangerous, but you make it seem as if anywhere anytime you will can expect to get mugged. Cleveland is a big city like other big cities and as such you need to watch your surroundings wherever you are. We have it somewhat easy in Cleveland try living in Miami South Atlanta or South Central LA, or hell even Detroit.

On another note, do you know why Medic left? They were bought out by Walgreens who has a few stores nearby. Tops Closed its Ohio stores. It helps when you know why things are happening before you go making judgements. Some things are not what they appear. For example Euclid Ave. Looks like sh*t right now to the informed and the uninformed man. The difference is the informed man knows its undergoing a $200 million dollar face lift from Public Square to East Cleveland.

Last edited by MABCle; 03-10-2007 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 11:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
I was borned & raised on the west side of Cleveland. I am married to the military (husband is in it)& have been everywhere. CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I MISS CLEVELAND.

Crime? Ok, sure, walk downtown on St Clair at 2am. Get drunk in the Flats & walk off by yourself down an alley. Start getting involved in drugs. Walk to your car in an empty parking lot.

Yes, there is crime. Yes, there are bad areas. This is EVERYWHERE, USA.

One thing many non natives think about or maybe even some natives is that "Cleveland" is derived of MANY suburbs. The ones that have been struggling have always been struggling.

There are areas not to move to. There are areas average folk cannot afford to move to. It's your choice.

Do your research. Cleveland is a great place. Not perfect, but not crime-ridden.

THERE IS NOT PERFECT PLACE. It is in what you make of it, so do your homework

I wish we were back there to raise our children in the area. Great place for family. And do I ever miss the fall & the Metroparks.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:05 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,209 times
MABCle it helps when you know things too.Like I just siad I lived in that neighborhood for most of my life and while it is not the worst neighborhood it is starting to get dangerous around that area.Everyone I know over in that area wants to get out now because they Know it is starting to get bad and they want to leave before it turns into another East Side ghetto.And while Medic and Tops moved away for buisness reasons other stores like Dr. Jays and Maxims moved away for the reason that they were robbed.Do you even Know what those places are?Oh yeah and there use to be a Jamacin restaurant by my old house that had fleets of police cars around 3 times in one summer.National City bank was robbed a couple times.A bank over on 200th street was robbed and someone was actually killed.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 PM

85 posts, read 405,797 times
Any city with a sizeable black population will have a crime problem.
Its a fact as issued by the d.o.j. a few years back.
It may not be PC to express this view,,,however it is a true statement.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:29 PM

If its true, which it may be, show me the facts with a link.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:34 AM

And even if your point is true, what is your point?

Old 03-16-2007, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 14,896 times
Default Single woman looking at Euclid Ave apartment

Hello! sorry to interject on your thread. I am a single woman who is moving to Cleveland area. I just looked at a great apartment right across from Cleveland State University on Euclid Ave. But I am nervous re. the area and safety. Is this a questionable area? I understand the concept that there are just certain areas to avoid in certain cities - I am originally from Toronto which is generally considered a safe city but there are areas I would avoid even there. Can anyone comment about this area specifically around the university? really appreciate any input! if there are any questions around the area it is likely something I will avoid. I also looked at a place in Mentor - I am weighing guaranteed safety vs. being in downtown...HELP!

Old 03-16-2007, 10:48 AM

Hello and welcome to Cleveland!

First I just have to say this there is no place on the planet where there in guranteed safety, crime can happen anywhere.

That said at night Euclid in its current state isn't the best area just because at night there's not many people around the area. During the day is a completely different story though like Pinipeanut said in another thread. There are safe areas way before you get to Mentor. Stonebridge as mentioned before is nice, also the Warehouse district downtown, so is the Coventry area of Cleveland Heights as there are lots of college aged people living there.

The area is going through momentus cahnge right now as The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) is building a new bus-rapid transit line through the area (explains why Euclid looks like it does) and CSU plans on building many new amenities including a new student center, to change its image as "Concrete State University" lol. hope this helps!

Old 04-04-2007, 05:40 PM

18 posts, read 65,929 times
East side is worse than West side.
You can walk on the streets, you have to know which ones are good or bad.
Watch your back, and be careful at the malls.People happened to get mugged by their cars, but not many.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 9,936 times
I think that "121804" said it the best but there is more to be said.
Cleveland's population is dropping and it hasn't been a really "big" city since like the 70s. But it does have the crime of a big city. Yes, the suburbs are fine like has been said by many users, but as for the west side being fine? I don't think thats the right word. St. Claire has been mentioned but walk down Lorain Ave. at 1 a.m. and guarenteed to see crack deals on a lot of corners and Far West side and the Riverside projects in the "best part" of Cleveland, West Park, is supposedly in the #5 top drug activities in the West side (according to city leader at a city meeting). I don't like to believe it and I love the city but it needs a drastic renovation to be inviting to people like these on this site. As you can probably tell I know the West Side and grew up around 117th so I can't tell you about University Circle but I'm telling you about what I know. Hope this has been helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland