Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:37 PM

13 posts, read 161,478 times

Advertisements

How bad is the crime in Cleveland? Is it so bad that you could get mugged walking on the strret? Is that why homes there in the greater Cleveland area are so inexpensive? I was considering moving there, but now I'm hearing that Akron is much safer. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 11:40 PM

332 posts, read 2,246,617 times
Crime in Cleveland is just like crime in any other big city. You can be safe walking alone in some areas, at the same time some areas you have to watch your back. Where are you coming from?

Old 03-03-2007, 11:33 AM

13 posts, read 161,478 times
Santa Barbara, California. Yea I'm in for a huge change. Weather wise as well.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:53 PM

10 posts, read 60,425 times
The actual city of cleveland is not the safest place to live, similiar to any large city. Most people live in the suburbs on the west and east side. I live in lakewood, right outside of cleveland, and it is affordable, very safe, and there is a lot to do. There are beaches, metroparks, nitelife, all within the city. Akron is not somewhere i would want to live, the cleveland area has a lot more to do, and more jobs.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:06 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,623,054 times
Yes if you are walking down a Cleveland street and someone sees fit to rob you they will.I mean we were the 7th most dangerous city in the country and if my guess is right Cleveland is probably getting worse.If you do move to Cleveland take a ride down St. Clair ave.,Euclid ave.,Kinsman,or just basically all of the East side.It is one of the grimmiest and most crime ridden cities in the country.In 2006 there was 120 murders there.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:19 AM

16,924 posts, read 12,473,274 times
>It is one of the grimmiest and most crime ridden cities in the country.In 2006 there was 120 murders there.<
While there certainly bad areas in Cleveland... Have you ever been to the Bronx or parts of LA?

Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 AM

332 posts, read 2,246,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>It is one of the grimmiest and most crime ridden cities in the country.In 2006 there was 120 murders there.<
While there certainly bad areas in Cleveland... Have you ever been to the Bronx or parts of LA?
Exactly, some people try to make Cleveland out to be the worst place on the face of the planet. Nobody can deny its problems, but they act as if everywhere else is paradise. Frustrating.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:27 AM

93 posts, read 642,777 times
When I read about people talking about crime in Cleveland I can't help but smile. Cleveland is not that bad!!! You know when you are in a bad neighborhood, so just stay away from it! I live IN Cleveland, not the suburbs! Downtown was bad, but it's on it's way back up. They are building condos and apartments down there. There is a lot of night life going on and most people work down there. DONT take a ride down ST. Clair like that other person told you to! Once you get east of downtown, those are the areas you want to stay away from. The westside of CLEVELAND, not the suburbs are fine. Cleveland Hts and the suburbs to the east of Cleveland are fine, its just the east side of CLEVELAND you want to stay away from. Akron is getting to be just as bad as Cleveland. People from Cleveland hate going to Akron, I wouldnt go there! Houses are much cheaper here then anywhere else, Im looking into Florida and Virginia. I could get a house here with no problem, a nice one too, but Im gonna have to work my butt off somewhere else.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 PM

Location: Currently:Cleveland...can't wait to be back in Missouri! :)
24 posts, read 187,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simfan453 View Post
How bad is the crime in Cleveland? Is it so bad that you could get mugged walking on the strret? Is that why homes there in the greater Cleveland area are so inexpensive? I was considering moving there, but now I'm hearing that Akron is much safer. Is that true?

I think it all depends on what you consider "bad". Your "bad" could be a totally different view with someone elses "bad" and so on....

I think what it comes down to is be aware of your surroundings and use common sense. Crime can happen anywhere, anytime. Don't think that just because you may be cruising through an upscale neighborhood in the burbs' that crime isn't lurking in the shadows. That's a false sense of security that many people live by IMO.

As far as the homes being "inexpensive" in the Cleveland area. Again, it depends on what you consider "inexpensive". And sure there are neighborhoods in Cleveland that have "inexpensive" homes that in my book are usually so run down and beyond repair or maybe rental units that have been beat to death, so a low price tag is plopped on them. All that takes is a a 'good eye' to perceive that.

For instance...sections of Slavic Village...once a very NICE area is so run down now and windows boarded up on vacant homes because it was once a drug house is sickening. Houses go for around 30k-50k in that area if not lower.

I can't give an opinion of Akron, as I've never lived there.

Good-luck with everything!

Old 03-10-2007, 05:56 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,623,054 times
Y'all can have your opinions thats fine I just think that Cleveland is one of the 5 worst cities in the countries.Yeah the suburbs are pretty good but some are starting to get bad.I lived in Euclid Ohio for most of my life and my mom lived there for 44 years so we know what we are talking about when we say Euclid is bad.All of the buisnesses are moving away from 185th.Medic drug store,Maxims which had been there for 50+years.The only stores that are around there are dollar stores.And what about Euclid's school system.Use to be one of the best in the country now it is all Academic Emergency and Academic Watch.So I definetly know what I am talking about when I talk about Euclid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland