Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:04 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,111,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
CA has earthquakes, mudslides, flooding etc. and Cleveland has one season of cold/snowy weather. The other 3 seasons are fantastic, and winter can be a lot of fun (holidays, sledding, skiing, fireplaces etc) It's all how you view them, and learn to accept them.
In 1995, I had two job offers - SoCal and Cleveland. After many discussions, we chose Cleveland. People were much friendlier than any of the other midwestern cities, houses were affordable, commutes were fairly quick, and the people are more accepting than when we lived in the OC. It was a great decision. Bought a house near the lake right outside of the city for about half of the cost of rent of a tiny condo in SoCal.

Funny that all of the people who decided to head out to Irvine. CA are now all somewhere in Texas, moving there after they started their family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 10:47 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,879,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeli0501 View Post
I'm glad that with 7.2% unemployment rate, someone's still worried about clothes.

I moved out of Cleveland for cultural reasons, but if I had a job offer at $80,000 a year, I think the practical solution would be to take it. These are not times where geographic location can cater to our every whim. You need to consider the future and well-being of your family.

I take it your in North Carolina? Their unemployment rate as of December 2008 (latest data released) is much higher than Ohio's.

North Carolina = 8.7%

Ohio = 7.8%

Not good numbers for either one, but when it comes down to it, Charlotte has been hit harder than Cleveland with this banking mess, and I am not proud where Cleveland stands on this banking thing either. Its not good that both cities are some of the largest banking centers in the world.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,146,361 times
Joannewebx,

I think you should leave. You should also take your wimpy family/entourage and your bogus statistics with you. Wherever you go, please do not associate yourself with us and, for the love of God, never EVER come back (or start or join a faction of the Browns backers)!

PS- Enjoy the fashion and sense of style the south will bring to you. Your feathered hair, mom jeans, and pit stains should fit right in.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 AM

23 posts, read 59,245 times
80k will burn quick with all the flights back and forth. Mortgage back home, apartment in Cleveland, car back home, etc. if you work downtown you can rent in lakewood for 400 and ride the 55X bus line downtown in 10 minutes, very safe and popular line with professionals. if you don't work downtown you will have to have a car here. Cleveland is only good with public transportation to downtown. There is also a rapid light rail line, you could live farther out is westpark and ride the train in, very cheap rent there and close to airport for you weekend trips home. This is where all the cops and firefighters live so pretty safe for city living and if you are irish a bonus. Cleveland has a higher cost of living than down south, but not too bad. Taxes stink mainly owning a home (Fed, State, live city, work city, CCA, RITA, property, sales 8.5%, etc) this is why business has left.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:14 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,174,275 times
If you go - stay away from the "snowbelt" areas which make lake effect snowfalls in the feet, not inches.
Do your homework on the suburbs. Some are excellent. Some are horrible.
Traffic for a metro area is very do-able. Commute times are usually not bad due to good highway systems. (Don't forget, though, to add half an hour or more to your commute in bad winter weather.)
If you like sports and friendly beer drinking, you will meet friends wherever you go. If you like finer dining or museum/opera type stuff, you will meet many fewer friends...but they are out there.
So many cloudy days are indeed draining on the soul. You will feel like going out less, exercising less, etc.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:08 AM

405 posts, read 1,210,303 times
I would definitely have to say that moving the family to Cleveland would be the wisest choice. GOing from unemployed in an area where tourism rules to a job offer of $80k in this economy should be a no-brainer. The Cleveland area is a great place to raise a family. I can't imagine not seeing all 4 seasons. I have many great memories of playing in the snow as a kid, and there's still nothing like the snowfall around Christmas even as an adult. Also, it makes the warm weather that comes in spring/summer that much more exciting. Find a nice place up here and you'll see that Lake Erie can be just as enjoyable as the ocean, and the city itself will offer more than any NC city can, especially near the coast. If winter gets a little long, plan a nice family vacation to go back down South for a week each February or March. I don't think you can go wrong taking the job and moving the family up here. It's the type of place people settle down, so if you're not looking to move too many more times, it's a perfect place.

And the person claiming NC has more fashion sense than Cleveland surely doesn't know what they're talking about. The cultural insitiutions and upscale stores that Cleveland supports speak for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland