Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:50 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,953 times

Advertisements

Just curious if all you Cleveland residents think an authentic mexican food restaurant is needed or would do well in the area? Having lived in FL and in CA, as well as Chicago (Frontera Grill), all the great authentic places are constantly packed. However, in all my revisits to the Eastside of Cleveland, I hadn't noticed any good ones. I see all the delis, Italian food places and bistro type places, bars and winery restaurants, but no good Mexican food. Am I not looking hard enough? Do you think the area would patronize such a place?

Just curious. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,333 times
There is one in University Heights called "Don Tequila." It is located on Green near Cedar on the same side of the road as BP. I don't know if it's authentic like you find in some of the cities you named, but it's better than anything else I've found in the Cleveland area.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
There is one in University Heights called "Don Tequila." It is located on Green near Cedar on the same side of the road as BP. I don't know if it's authentic like you find in some of the cities you named, but it's better than anything else I've found in the Cleveland area.
Are they busy most of the time?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:59 PM

Oh, and mainly by authentic, I meant not Chi Chi's or Taco Bell. LOL

Old 01-21-2009, 10:21 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Just curious if all you Cleveland residents think an authentic mexican food restaurant is needed or would do well in the area? Having lived in FL and in CA, as well as Chicago (Frontera Grill), all the great authentic places are constantly packed.
What is AUTHENTIC Mexican?

Having worked in Mexico and throughout the Southwest over the years, I have a good laugh. Take a Californian to Texas and they are screaming that the food is "not authentic" and vice versa. I think that each state of Mexico has specialties that you will not find in other neighboring Mexican states.

Personally, on the low end, Mi Pueblo is one of the better taquerias in town. Nothing fancy, but the west side location is a frequent stopping point for Mexicans sending money back home.

There are relatively few Mexicans in Cleveland in comparison with FL and CA ane the few restaurants seem to be concentrated more on the west side.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,631,607 times
There are quite a bit on the west side if you are willing to make a trip. One of my faves is El Jalapeno.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,606 times
Another on the west side is Neuvo Acapulco. It's family owned and just great. There is also Luchita's, which I always loved too. They have a few locations and here's their website Best Mexican Restaurant Luchita's Cleveland Ohio Caterer.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
What is AUTHENTIC Mexican?

Having worked in Mexico and throughout the Southwest over the years, I have a good laugh. Take a Californian to Texas and they are screaming that the food is "not authentic" and vice versa. I think that each state of Mexico has specialties that you will not find in other neighboring Mexican states.

Personally, on the low end, Mi Pueblo is one of the better taquerias in town. Nothing fancy, but the west side location is a frequent stopping point for Mexicans sending money back home.

There are relatively few Mexicans in Cleveland in comparison with FL and CA ane the few restaurants seem to be concentrated more on the west side.
I replied above about what I meant by authentic. I am not Mexican. I ask b/c in all the areas I lived in, Mexican restaurants (good ones) were not just frequented by Mexicans sending money home, but by everyone. They were constantly packed with people wanting good, inexpensive food, good margaritas, chips n salsa, and a laid back atmosphere.
I posted to see if anyone thought a good Mexican restaurant would draw a crowd on the East side or if Eastsiders wouldn't go to such a place.
Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 AM

155 posts, read 460,106 times
I reallylike Mexican food.
So for what its worth, IMO:
Don Tequila, not so great.
The best on the east side is Mi Pueblo on Euclid near CIA. Also, last night I ate at Los Habeneros in Shaker (Van Aken Plaza) and it was very good. Luchitas--best mole in town--was on Shaker Sq., but they shut down (apparently a bit of a problem with landlord, Coral). Lopez on Lee Rd. in CL Heights is very good, but really expensive. La Fiesta on Wilson Mills in Rich Hts is solid.
Nueva in N.Olmstead is good, but not worth a 35 minute drive. Momocha on Fulton has top notch guac and margaritas. I would drive 35 minutes for their food.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:57 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,606 times
Hey, I realized I didn't say if I thought a new restaurant would draw a crowd...I think it would.

I used to drive from wherever I lived to get to my fave Neuvo Acapulco...and I was always on the east side, once as far as Willoughby. I still drove all the way out there....and it was packed every single time I went, which is way to many times to count!

I would go for it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland