Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 06:57 PM

436 posts, read 873,963 times

Advertisements

I am thinking to buy some time with ESPN to rewind myself after work, since my daily work are kind of intensive.

The information I have so far regarding to dish vs cable options are as follow:

Dish/satellite:
Pro:Hundreds of channels; Choice of selecting your own channels; European Futball included (I am a big Liverpool fan)
cons: Weather dependent

Cable
Pro:Weather independent
Con: limit channel, no choice of picking your own channel out of the package without paying more. No European Futball

My question: Will the weather here in Northeast Ohio be a strong factor to affect the satellite signal?

Thanks

Last edited by mikemeatball; 05-03-2009 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:59 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,407 times
I have had DirecTV for over 3 years and have had it go out due to weather maybe twice (and both times for about 15 minutes). Once was an absolute blizzard and the other was a downpour thunderstorm with hail. It may have gone out other times when I wasn't home, but this is all I have noticed. I do have a very clear view of the southwestern sky, so this gives me a very strong signal, which means it takes more to cause an outage. Your mileage may vary.

I have found that, at least for me, I lose the signal less with the dish than I did with cable.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:06 AM

436 posts, read 873,963 times
Quote:
"I have found that, at least for me, I lose the signal less with the dish than I did with cable"
Nice, I can see the EPL again. Thanks

Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,407 times
Just as a warning, make sure you get good signal strenghts when they first set your dish up. I had problems for a couple months (it would go out every time it drizzled) and was about to drop, then they came out and adjusted the dish. It's been great ever since.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:35 PM

35 posts, read 144,192 times
I think for what ever little chance there might be of losing signal, I still would go with satelite. It really is a non-issue for me. I have Direct through dishoneup.com. They are not only competitive with price but I like the programing better. So if your looking for a service installer/ supplier that you can trust & do business with call/ look them up.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:46 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I had Dish Network for years and concur with the poster above. It only went out a handfull of times in all that time. Only once did it go out at a "critical moment": i.e. right at the end of a show.

Having said that I switched to cable for a few reasons.
- Time Warner offers free HD channels. This is an extra $9.99/month with Dish and DirectTV.
- The ability to add TV's without having to add a box. Just splice and connect.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:35 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
I have cable. I used to have a dish, but the signal's line of sight was poor and I would lose adequate signal strength whenever it would rain/snow reasonably hard. It was a nuisance. Since switching to cable, that issue is obviously gone. I wouldn't say that the dish was "bad," it just wouldn't work well for my location. Also, I don't think you can beat the Internet service offered through cable or fiber at this time. If that's a consideration, I would make sure to price it and compare before you decide which way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland