Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:28 PM

11 posts, read 40,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Cleveland is much more similar to east coast cities than Columbus. I would list Columbus more as a midwestern area.
I don't know where you get the idea that Cleveland is similar to east coast cities. I've lived in the area (Lake County, the east end of which, where I live, a so-called "exurb" of Cleveland, is technically outside the metropolitan area) most of my life and could not disagree with you more. Cleveland may not be "midwestern" in the strictest sense of the term, but it is in the Great Lakes region and is in fact on the south shore of Lake Erie. Cleveland has been compared to other Great Lakes cities such as Chicago, Detroit and Milwaukee (in fact, Cleveland has been referred to as "little Chicago"), and the geography of the area proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that it is the Great Lakes region.

Some parts of the Cleveland area (including certain cities in Lake County) have architecture that strongly resembles that of buildings and other structures on the East Coast, but that is only because the early settlers of this area were from Connecticut; this may be why you seem to think Cleveland is similar to the East Coast. The official title of the Cleveland area west to Bay Village (a suburb of Cleveland west of town) and east to Ashtabula is "the Western Reserve", which also could be why you seem to liken the area to the east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 01:21 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1347s View Post
I don't know where you get the idea that Cleveland is similar to east coast cities. I've lived in the area (Lake County, the east end of which, where I live, a so-called "exurb" of Cleveland, is technically outside the metropolitan area) most of my life and could not disagree with you more. Cleveland may not be "midwestern" in the strictest sense of the term, but it is in the Great Lakes region and is in fact on the south shore of Lake Erie. Cleveland has been compared to other Great Lakes cities such as Chicago, Detroit and Milwaukee (in fact, Cleveland has been referred to as "little Chicago"), and the geography of the area proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that it is the Great Lakes region.

Some parts of the Cleveland area (including certain cities in Lake County) have architecture that strongly resembles that of buildings and other structures on the East Coast, but that is only because the early settlers of this area were from Connecticut; this may be why you seem to think Cleveland is similar to the East Coast. The official title of the Cleveland area west to Bay Village (a suburb of Cleveland west of town) and east to Ashtabula is "the Western Reserve", which also could be why you seem to liken the area to the east coast.
Cleveland has more in common with the east coast and more of a feel an an east city than Columbus. Part of that is obviously the historical ties to the east coast. That's not to say that Cleveland is an east coast city, but certain parts of town have a northeastern feel to it. But I agree that Cleveland is most aptly described as "Great Lakes," and is similar in character to Buffalo, Toronto, Detroit, Chicago, and Milwaukee. Columbus, on the other hand, is very midwestern in character, through and through. Cincinnati, at times has a upper south feel to it, at least to me, although I know that some will dispute that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland