U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2009, 04:29 PM
 
30 posts, read 55,777 times
Reputation: 12
Default RTA: How safe is it really?

Hi there,

Starting July, I will be starting full time work in Cleveland, OH, specifically along Tungsten Road. My dilemma is this: 1) How safe is the transit system, specifically the buses; and 2) where is the best place to live? And if possible, what is the best method (bus, train, etc.) to getting to Tungsten Road?

Personally, I would prefer commuting to work for 3 reasons: 1) Owning a car is expensive, 2) the program I am in is for only 6 months (then I'm moving to a new location), and 3) commuting is cheaper on my wallet.

For your information, I am coming from MA.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 PM
 
30 posts, read 55,777 times
Reputation: 12
How are the Harbor Crest apartments in Euclid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
3,501 posts, read 4,675,617 times
Reputation: 1347
Hi and and Welcome!

Tungsten Rd is in Euclid, OH correct?

There are no train lines out there and only buses.

I know the system of RTA very well since I lived car-free in Cleveland city for 3 years before. PM me if you need any help with specifc addresses and I can give you my best opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Appalachian Trail Homeless, USA
436 posts, read 527,654 times
Reputation: 89
It depends on how tough you are and the what gender you are.

If you are a grown male and look humble but can be kind of tough if it is neccessary, go take it and save money like the way you plan.

If you are a professional lady being raised in Connecticut or Mayne, for example, you can't lower down your living expense in this way. There have been several cases of people exposing their private part of the body to other people, including teen girls on either RTA or Bus system here in Cleveland, and these were all over the TV news once for a while. I mean, this "a while" is only four months to me since this is the duration of the time ever since I moved to here in Feb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
3,501 posts, read 4,675,617 times
Reputation: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
If you are a professional lady being raised in Connecticut or Mayne, for example, you can't lower down your living expense in this way. There have been several cases of people exposing their private part of the body to other people, including teen girls on either RTA or Bus system here in Cleveland, and these were all over the TV news once for a while. I mean, this "a while" is only four months to me since this is the duration of the time ever since I moved to here in Feb.
That type of stuff can happen anywhere--it's not like it's unique to Cleveland OH. Not to mention, there are much worse incidents that come out of the news in NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc.. You make it sound like it a legitimate problem.

I have ridden RTA for many years now and I can safely say I've never seen an "exposed body part" I didn't want to see.

Also, he is coming from MASSACHUSETTS not.."Kenny Mayne"....

Last edited by costello_musicman; 06-18-2009 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 AM
 
30 posts, read 55,777 times
Reputation: 12
To add to that, I am a recent college graduate and a grown male who will be working for a corporation. My work hours will vary to some degree, but will most likely hover between 8am through 6pm.

I hear the RTA is dangerous at night, which is why I was concerned. I'm coming from Boston, MA, and yes, there are some bad areas as well (more notably, Roxbury and Dorchester). However, I hear a lot that happens in Cleveland. If it isn't that bad, then I would not mind commuting to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:13 AM
 
405 posts, read 792,695 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
It depends on how tough you are and the what gender you are.

If you are a grown male and look humble but can be kind of tough if it is neccessary, go take it and save money like the way you plan.

If you are a professional lady being raised in Connecticut or Mayne, for example, you can't lower down your living expense in this way. There have been several cases of people exposing their private part of the body to other people, including teen girls on either RTA or Bus system here in Cleveland, and these were all over the TV news once for a while. I mean, this "a while" is only four months to me since this is the duration of the time ever since I moved to here in Feb.
Several in the past four months? You're not exaggerating? I'm not doubting it hasn't happened before, but I think you're blowing this out of proportion. I searched for stories on this, and I didn't find anything except a story about a doctor exposing himself to some Case students on an elevator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Appalachian Trail Homeless, USA
436 posts, read 527,654 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomi View Post
I hear the RTA is dangerous at night,
This would be true. Given the possibility that new comers sometimes misses the bus station they are supposed to be off. This is a true story from my caucasian colleague, who missed his stop in university circle and ended up taking off at the corner of 105 street at 10pm. He was lucky to be alive without any damage because that night was 10 degree plus crazy snow, so nobody hanged out for activity. But local friends say that won't happen next time under more than 50% of chance.

6pm should be fine, but don't miss the stop you are suppose to be off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 AM
 
30 posts, read 55,777 times
Reputation: 12
How are the North Pointe Apartments? Situated in a relatively safe neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Appalachian Trail Homeless, USA
436 posts, read 527,654 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
Several in the past four months? You're not exaggerating? I'm not doubting it hasn't happened before, but I think you're blowing this out of proportion. I searched for stories on this, and I didn't find anything except a story about a doctor exposing himself to some Case students on an elevator.
I only watch fox8/action news 19 / cbs channel 5 new at 10 or 11pm on and off, and I remember at least two cases reported and caught right on tape. Those reporters used different terms to describe "expose private part of body" , which I can't remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top