Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:40 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times

Advertisements

http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/most-dangerous-neighborhoods

This came out today on the 25 worst neighborhoods in the U.S. It won't be hailed by some of the crime fanboys in the Cleveland section because Cleveland doesn't have a neighborhood listed as "The Most Dangerous, Toughest Place the World Has Ever Seen," but nonetheless, I think it'll be found very interesting. There's a few I've visited that I would have thought would have been there - crime in East Oakland isn't well documented and I was a little surprised that Richmond's Iron Triangle wasn't there. I'm not as well-versed in Los Angeles neighborhoods -- only been a few times, but neighborhoods in Compton, Watts, South Central, and Downey aren't there, but again, simply speculation -- the statistics we have simply doesn't support it. I am surprised that a piece of the neighborhood 'Over the Rhein' in Cincinatti made #1 ahead of what I originally thought would be it - Chicago's Garfield Park area -- but then again, OTR in Cincinnati is the only place I've ever been to where I felt the need to run multiple red lights. lol

Anyway, the list uses crime statistics in the previous year for a radius and uses it to show the potential likelihood of you being a victim in that given year.

25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 PM

124 posts, read 713,520 times
I don't know about the other neighborhoods on that list but 55th and Cedar seems like a rather tame choice for a worst of list. I pass through there frequently (as I'm sure many other east-siders do) on the way downtown or to the highways. I wouldn't want to live there or have my car breakdown there but I've never felt in danger. I guess the fact that there are several heavily trafficked roads in that area (55th, Euclid, Carnegie) and the heavy police presence makes it seem less shady to me than a lot of other areas in Cleveland. Heck, we've had our cab stop for sandwiches as that gas station (Hannini or whatever it is called) at 3 am after a night downtown on several occassions . I guess Gallucci's better move to a safer neighborhood.

Steve

Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
It seems like this list was done by the 50+ Club. The areas in Cincy and Cleveland were much worse like 10-15 even 20 years ago. E. 55 and Cedar doesn't have much density around it any more...it's mostly a gas station and some warehouses ....cedar and e. 55 cleveland - Google Maps

Are they using old data...or even worse, old perception??

I know it says "crime statistics"....but still. I can walk that area. There are other parts in the city I couldn't walk.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
It seems like this list was done by the 50+ Club. The areas in Cincy and Cleveland were much worse like 10-15 even 20 years ago. E. 55 and Cedar doesn't have much density around it any more...it's mostly a gas station and some warehouses ....cedar and e. 55 cleveland - Google Maps

Are they using old data...or even worse, old perception??

I know it says "crime statistics"....but still. I can walk that area. There are other parts in the city I couldn't walk.
I think Cle440 made some good points in the "Worst area in Cleveland" thread regarding why the crime stats for 55th/Cedar are so high: http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...eveland-3.html .

That area does have everything required to skew the data for the worst: a small permanent population made primarily of people in housing projects, a high population of potential victims passing through who add to the crime count but don't count towards the per capita demoninator, and I believe there is a large highschool there to add crime stats from fights and whatnot plus there are several churches and public buildings that serve the poor right along 55th.
Basically that area is a perfect storm of factors to have lots of crimes relative to the small permanent official population. You'll notice here are only 69 violent crimes per year predicted for that area which is the second lowest in their top 25. Using their numbers that means there are only a few more than 600 permanent residents in that neighborhood but who knows how many people filter through there daily or really live there but aren't included in the population.

I guess I like my odds of not being one of those 69 people . And since you brought up the gas station, I do wish that city would do something about the anti-semitic graffiti painted on the gas station on the corner of 55th and Cedar. A lot of people enter our city via 55th from the highways, the area isn't pretty to begin with and that graffiti doesn't help our image at all.

Steve

Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 AM

Good thoughts as always, Steve. And you make a good point. There are certainly areas I'd rather live around less than 55th/Cedar over on the east side. A bit further east and over near Kinsman, for example. But you're definitely right. On a separate note, I recently moved out to the Bay so I haven't been been over since December - what does the grafiti/mural say?

Old 06-23-2009, 09:46 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
That is certainly not Cleveland's worst neighborhood. I'm assuming they are basing these off of perception and/or the past.

Interesting that Detroit and St. Louis only have one neighborhood included. And the fact that Youngstown, Compton, Flint, or Gary have ZERO neighborhoods listed.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
That is certainly not Cleveland's worst neighborhood. I'm assuming they are basing these off of perception and/or the past.

Interesting that Detroit and St. Louis only have one neighborhood included. And the fact that Youngstown, Compton, Flint, or Gary have ZERO neighborhoods listed.
While I think it IS interesting that they aren't included, there are only 25 neighborhoods which are included, and part of why we're surprised, is based on perception. I, myself, have never been to Compton, nor have I analyzed a crime grid for Compton. Thus, simply is perception. That, however, doesn't mean a neighborhood from Compton wouldn't be placed on it, if it were say, 50 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods. My initial inclination would be to say that a city like Compton is widespread blight and poverty -- wherein you wouldn't want to call any part of Compton your home, but probably less concentrated 'ghetto' as compared to other cities on the list.

It's important to remember that the study was done on a neighborhood and not a city. In some cases, a 6 block radius being the most crime ridden per-capita in the country would put it on the list, regardless of its city or reputation.

Cities like Detroit proper, Cleveland proper, etc, won't always look as dangerous as you'd think of them because they're filled with widespread poverty and blight as opposed to other cities which have very concentrated pockets of crime and decay. Hence, you'll see Cleveland and Detroit contending in every 'Poorest City in America' routine but not necessarily having the country's most dangerous neighborhood.

The list was pretty interesting. I think they could have expanded it to 50 pretty easily -- and I really wish they would - to fill in our curiosities.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
- what does the grafiti/mural say?
Here's a link that shows one of the "murals":Cleveland Jewish News > Archives > News > Local > Anti-Israel murals resurface on E. 55th St. business

I don't think this is the exact graffiti I remember so apparently the artist refreshes the message occasionally. The last time I was by that way and paid attention there were similar murals on the abandoned gas station on the south-west corner of the intersection and on still open station on the south-east corner.

Steve

Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve36 View Post
Here's a link that shows one of the "murals":Cleveland Jewish News > Archives > News > Local > Anti-Israel murals resurface on E. 55th St. business

I don't think this is the exact graffiti I remember so apparently the artist refreshes the message occasionally. The last time I was by that way and paid attention there were similar murals on the abandoned gas station on the south-west corner of the intersection and on still open station on the south-east corner.

Steve
I was hoping it would have just been politically motivated when I read the description. It's pretty hard not to be anti-Israeli these days but it definitely goes overboard to a point that it shouldn't exist. "Every Jew = Anti Christ" is hard to get down with, not to mention many Jewish people don't agree with Israeli policy either lol

Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
I also have a question how they determined the neighborhoods. Are each neighborhood similar in population and land size? If not, this list is quite a stretch.

I mean some of these neighborhoods are literally 2 streets max. Heck if they are doing it that way, I'd like to see 'Most Likely to be a Homicide Victim' because there are streets and/or blocks in Cleveland which have already seen 5+ homicides, and I'm sure the populations of those streets aren't more than a couple hundred people.

Although, I love the idea of this most dangerous neighborhood -- I find it a bit of a stretch to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland