Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:49 AM

174 posts, read 698,189 times

Advertisements

Everybody over exaggerates the bad in Cleveland including it's own born and raised residents. It's kind of like they hear outsiders talk down about their city and they say eff it and only talk about crime and problems so at least they'll be known for one thing. Cleveland is no worse than any other city, Downtown is just fine. I've lived downtown for about a year and a half now at the Reserve Square and the only hassle is the air show that comes in the summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM

35 posts, read 144,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativemama2 View Post
I'm sure it has to be a bit of both, but my perception has gone down in the 20 years I've lived here to the point where I can't stand living here anymore. I think my attitude has been soured by the negative news, results of polls, and jokes about Cleveland.

On News 5 today, they announced that a TripAdvisor.com survey of more than 3,400 respondents said Cleveland is boring. Channel 5 polled Clevelanders and 67% agreed.

Forbes announced the least family friendly cities in the U.S. Cleveland is #5.

Forbes announced the highest taxed cities in the U.S. - Cleveland is #11.America's Best And Worst Cities For Families - Forbes.com

Cuyahoga County is the 4th worst county for carbon monoxide pollution.

Cleveland was the poorest city in the U.S. (Now I think we've "improved" to #2.)

Forbes ranks us 3rd worst in US for Jobs (May, 2009)

Forbes ranked us #8 in Most Overpriced Cities. (Someone at Forbes really hates us.)

We're at the top of the "Least Graduates per School District" list.

The U.S. Census Bureau announced that Cleveland lost nearly 10 percent of its population this decade, the fastest rate of decline of any major American city (except New Orleans).

Author Peter Greenberg went on the today show and listed Cleveland as one of his worst places in his book, "Don't Go There: The Travel Detective's Essential Guide to the Must-Miss Places of the World."

I won't even go into the corrupt government, lack of foresight, anti-regionalism arguing, failing schools. Every day, there's another reason to hate Cleveland, to feel depressed that it's never going to change. Honestly, the city was "turning around" when I came here in 1985 and it's been waiting for that turnaround ever since.

Are there others who didn't grow up here who believe we can recover?

Is there any REAL hope of change? I'd love to hear everyone's opinion.
I agree so much... yet at the sametime I disagree. There's a lot to do in Cleveland. The problem is people don't seem to know about it. I think that they're more lazy and don't want to go out in the cold than anything. But our biggest issues are...
1)Cleveland/ State goverment. We need to be business friendly. That means not planning prodjects that cause business to go out of business (Euclid Corridore).
2) We need need lower taxes- across the bored- for residents & business.
3) Good city planners! Someone who will say... Hey! Guess what! We have a lakefront! Hmmm- maybe we could do something with it instead of having delapidated warehouses up and down the shore line!
4) Lower cost of living! We don't make enough (the average Joe) to be able to have expendable income so that you can afford to go ANYWHERE! When taking your family to a game costs $100 bucks just to sit with a nose bleed... we have an issue.
5) Give ALL of Cuyahoga county a say in who runs Cleveland. It is extreemly appartent that most Clevelander's vote based on name reconition... not who's best for the job.

That would be a good start. And then we need to PROMOTE our city! We're not a bad place to live... We're just Detroit & LA combined! Let's clean it up. Lower the burden on our people and make this a city that is worth while again!

Last edited by techsavey; 01-28-2010 at 01:48 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techsavey View Post
4) Lower cost of living! We don't make enough (the average Joe) to be able to have expendable income so that you can afford to go ANYWHERE! When taking your family to a game costs $100 bucks just to sit with a nose bleed... we have an issue.
You have GOT to be kidding me? Totally disagree.
The cost of living is to high here because you can't go to a ballgame? $100 buys you 2 tickets, not 4, in the nosebleeds at Yankee Stadium. Maybe.
The Cost of Living CAN'T get much lower then it already is here...
Talking about the cost of sporting events relative to the cost of living is ludicrous.
Seems to me there are PLENTY of Clevelanders with expendable income when I go out to spend my expendable income. Can't seem to find a table at my favorite cheapo restaraunt. Took my nephew to the USS Cod downtown and it was PACKED. There was also a line at the USS Mather. The Rockhall had a large crowd out front. I know maybe a few of those folks might have been tourists, but you and I both know a majority of those folks are from this area.... finding cheap inexpensive ways to enjoying Cleveland.... and there are 100's of ways to do that.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You have GOT to be kidding me? Totally disagree.
The cost of living is to high here because you can't go to a ballgame? $100 buys you 2 tickets, not 4, in the nosebleeds at Yankee Stadium. Maybe.
The Cost of Living CAN'T get much lower then it already is here...
Talking about the cost of sporting events relative to the cost of living is ludicrous.
Seems to me there are PLENTY of Clevelanders with expendable income when I go out to spend my expendable income. Can't seem to find a table at my favorite cheapo restaraunt. Took my nephew to the USS Cod downtown and it was PACKED. There was also a line at the USS Mather. The Rockhall had a large crowd out front. I know maybe a few of those folks might have been tourists, but you and I both know a majority of those folks are from this area.... finding cheap inexpensive ways to enjoying Cleveland.... and there are 100's of ways to do that.
"CHEEPO resteraunt" is the opperative word. The last time I went to see the Indians the tics where about $26 in the upper decks per person! So I have no idea what your basing your info on. Maybe you have a poor perception of what cost of living means. Cost of living means % of income it cost to run your daily life and pay ALL odf your bills (not credit card living). Sounds like you're young and single. Add a couple of kids into the mix and then tell me how far your money goes. Most of the people I know spend 70 to 95% of thier income to make ends meet. And I live in Mayfield Hts. We're happy to have 30% left over. And part of that has to go to savings. Maybe you've made desissions that you don't have as much overhead, but I know too many people who's cost of housing is disproportionate to what they make.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
Quote:
"CHEEPO resteraunt" is the opperative word. The last time I went to see the Indians the tics where about $26 in the upper decks per person! So I have no idea what your basing your info on. Maybe you have a poor perception of what cost of living means. Cost of living means % of income it cost to run your daily life and pay ALL odf your bills (not credit card living). Sounds like you're young and single. Add a couple of kids into the mix and then tell me how far your money goes. Most of the people I know spend 70 to 95% of thier income to make ends meet. And I live in Mayfield Hts. We're happy to have 30% left over. And part of that has to go to savings. Maybe you've made desissions that you don't have as much overhead, but I know too many people who's cost of housing is disproportionate to what they make.
You are seriously delusional if you think the cost of living in Cleveland is high. Yeah, some of the taxes are high but overall it's pretty affordable for a large-ish metro area. Try coming to my area where a one bedroom condo cost more than your Mayfield Hts house, were the sales tax is 11%, gas is often a $1 more per gallon, downtown parking is $25-$30, and you have to throw down $150 to get a mediocre pro football ticket.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:43 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Why do you keep bringing up the Indians games? What does that have to do with cost of living? Sports event are seriously overpriced in every market that has a major pro team. (yet people continue to support them. Blame the fans, not the cities. Stop paying to much for those games, stop paying $6.00 for a beer... watch what happens. But the sheep that continue to pay money so millionaires can play baseba........ sorry, I digress...)

Find me ONE city with a major sports team where a family of four can afford to go for under $100. It does not exist.
You have no idea what I am basing my info on?? Here's a clue... I am NOT basing my info on WHAT IT COSTS TO ATTEND AN INDIANS GAME!
Have you been to a Lake Erie Captains game? You can buy 4 tickets, hot dogs and pop, a beer or two for the parents, hell maybe even a t-shirt.... and still walk out of there for under $50. Expand your horizons. Explore your city a but more. Plenty of CHEAP things to do in this town.
And unlike our sorry ass PRO team the Captains won the Championship this year.

I am basing my info on the fact that someone who makes $30K a year can EASILY afford a $600/per month half a house in Lakewood and still be able to drink with his buddies on the weekend and have money to pay his bills. Add a spouse into the mix who makes worst case $20,000 per year and they are living a GOOD LIFE in Cleveland. Y'know what $50K/year for 2 people gets you in Chicago? Much less my friend. Trust me.

Talk to me about the Cost of Living when my 28 yr old niece (I am not a 21 year old kid fyi) can afford to live in Lakewood, single mom, makes very little and goes to college yet can still somehow afford a nice place in Lakewood....
(Ok so I give her a small break on her rent but still...it's not that cheap).

Talk to me about cost of living when my nephew lives in NYC and pays $1950/month for a 600 sg. ft... repeat 600 sq ft.... (any clue how tiny that is???) apartment. He has three jobs and a roommate and can barely make ends meet. Think he's EVER been to a Yankee game in NY? um... no.

Talk to me about cost of living when I was offered a transfer to San Fransisco many years ago (before the housing crash) and a $30,000 per year RAISE (which was almost double my salary at the time) and it STILL wasn't enough to be able to purchase a home there. Why did they offer almost double my salary? To make up for the difference in the cost of living.... and it still wasn't enough.

I think you have had some really good posts on this forum since you joined us... but in this case? Your worst post ever.

PS As to my 'cheapo restaraunt' comment. Go to an expensive restaurant on a Friday night in Tremont, Beachwood, North Olmsted... 90 minute wait MINIMUM.

Last edited by Peregrine; 01-29-2010 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
You are seriously delusional if you think the cost of living in Cleveland is high. Yeah, some of the taxes are high but overall it's pretty affordable for a large-ish metro area. Try coming to my area where a one bedroom condo cost more than your Mayfield Hts house, were the sales tax is 11%, gas is often a $1 more per gallon, downtown parking is $25-$30, and you have to throw down $150 to get a mediocre pro football ticket.
Wow Dude! Your a bit sensitive. No insult intended.
My comments are not debating the cost of sports. It was only to be an exsample of fun things to do that are costly. No need to get upset.
I understand that many areas in the country cost more for housing than here in Cleveland. And comparetively Cleveland might seem "cheaper". But the piece of the puzzle you're missing is our taxes. A house in Mayfield or Lyndhurst (for exsample) worth est. $150k the taxes range from $5 to 6k a year. That's expensive! And that doesn't take into considration more wealthy areas property taxes. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

If you find this area to be very afordable... kodo's. But I think that it could be much better than it is.

Last edited by techsavey; 01-29-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
Quote:
Wow Dude! Your a bit sensitive. No insult intended.
My comments are not debating the cost of sports. It was only to be an exsample of fun things to do that are costly. No need to get upset.
I understand that many areas in the country cost more for housing than here in Cleveland. And comparetively Cleveland might seem "cheaper". But the piece of the puzzle you're missing is our taxes. A house in Mayfield or Lyndhurst (for exsample) worth est. $150k the taxes range from $5 to 6k a year. That's expensive! And that doesn't take into considration more wealthy areas property taxes. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

If you find this area to be very afordable... kodo's. But I think that it could be much better than it is.
Not upset my man, nor did I mean to come across as abrasive. Just find it odd when people say Cleveland is expensive. I'm originally from the area so I know about the local property tax and income tax rates. I have friends that own in some of the bigger taxers in the area (Lakewood, Cleveland Hts.), so I know where you're coming from in that respect. However, with the cost of real estate being as cheap as it is in Cleveland I consider the area to be relatively cheap. A $150k house in Mayfield would cost $300k-$400K in a nearly identical suburb outside of Chicago, and you would probably end up paying at least the same amount in property taxes. I know Chicago is higher than average when it comes to cost of living, but it is certainly not one of the highest priced regions in the country. Overall I would say Cleveland falls in line with some of the lower cost cities in the midwest or south. To find somewhere that is considerably cheaper I think you would have to be in a much smaller metro area.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
Ok, i know that this isn't about Indians tickets, but i've been going to games for years and i remember Upper Outfield Reserve seats being $6! Bleachers used to be $14, whaaa whaaa! That's cheaper than going to the movies! For s**ts and giggles i looked it up.........

Pack a lunch, or eat before the game, get some upper outfield reserve tickets, get some coupons, take a pepsi can to the game whatever, you can go to a tribe game with a family of 4 for less than $50.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:22 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
sorry but I feel that techsavey is correct... Take out NYC, Chicago, or Cali altogether (which Cleveland doesnt hold a candle too anyway) and you will find that it is very expensive in Cleveland.. I still have my rental house and family in Cleveland...But now I pay 1/4 the property taxes for a much larger home, my utilities are cheap, my car insurance went down, food is cheaper, etc... and I am not typing right now when its 10 degrees out. We were swimming in our pool on New Years. As for sports, sorry I dont care for them. But I will tell you that the 3rd base coach for the California Angels lives on our street. How many people were downtown for New Years? We had over a half mil. And lastly, I pay no state tax, no city tax, no regional tax...And the salary here is 30-40% higher for the same position in Cleveland. Leaving was the smartest thing i've done... I do miss some friends though, but everyone wants to visit Here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland