Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:33 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
Actually, I dropped my wife and kids down right by the field. Then I park my car at the RTA station. It only cost me 10$.
Do you mean Tower City? That should have only been $6!?!?! Odd....
I didn't think they jacked prices up for games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:59 PM

4,532 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
^Great Post!

And to a lesser extent, but still very easy:

Tremont
Coventry
Cedar-Lee
Edgewater
North Collinwood
Hey Costello, I think I'd list Edgewater as "easy"... Don't forget, a number of western areas of Edgewater, including the park itself, are w/in walking distance of the West Blvd Rapid stop. From there, you can quick hop a (very frequent) #26 RTA bus out Detroit to the Lakewood border, unless you decide to walk, which ain't bad... And for lively, beautiful Clifton Blvd, you've got the frequent, express (via Shoreway) #55 buses that zip you to Public Square in mins. Yeah, we'll be losing the Lakewood Circulator on the Edgewater's western border, but the #50 and other buses connect W.117 to the new/fancy W. 117/Madison Red Line station.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:31 PM

436 posts, read 874,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Hey Costello, I think I'd list Edgewater as "easy"... Don't forget, a number of western areas of Edgewater, including the park itself, are w/in walking distance of the West Blvd Rapid stop. From there, you can quick hop a (very frequent) #26 RTA bus out Detroit to the Lakewood border, unless you decide to walk, which ain't bad... And for lively, beautiful Clifton Blvd, you've got the frequent, express (via Shoreway) #55 buses that zip you to Public Square in mins. Yeah, we'll be losing the Lakewood Circulator on the Edgewater's western border, but the #50 and other buses connect W.117 to the new/fancy W. 117/Madison Red Line station.
I believed they are folding the RTA on lakewood area. Many seniors were protesting on the street the other day. They said they need RTA to get to their doctors. Very sad.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 PM

436 posts, read 874,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Do you mean Tower City? That should have only been $6!?!?! Odd....
I didn't think they jacked prices up for games.
Well, I got jumped in this case of scenario.

On my way out after the game, they already change the price back to 6$ for "special event".

Old 08-24-2009, 10:44 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times
To answer your question, yes I do think Cleveland has some very bad areas. I think Cleveland is bashed a little more than it should be, but if we are strictly talking about the city limits Cleveland is one of the worst big cities for crime, poverty, public schools, and unemployment. What alot of people don't understand though, is usually people include suburbs with cities. If Cleveland were to annex all of its suburbs in Cuyahoga county it would have a population of around 1,300,000 and be one of the safest big cities in the country. And thats not even factoring in all the safe suburbs in other counties such as Lake, Geauga, and Lorain counties.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:58 PM

49 posts, read 170,586 times
I used to live in University Circle. There are a few museums, botanical gardens, and of course Severance Hall, but yes, you can exhaust all of the possibilities pretty quickly. I find it hard to believe this is one of the best in the nation - maybe it's good for a city of this size, but it's just not that impressive.

The only Little Italy I know consists of a few blocks of restaurants and some galleries that are not exactly friendly if you're under 35 (in my experience). It's busy on the weekends, sure, but there is not much to do besides going to a restaurant. (Or being glared at by various gallery owners...)

Yes, it's possible to commute by public transportation instead of driving and I apologize for implying otherwise. But it is rare to find a town or a neighborhood where there is enough to do to keep oneself occupied for an entire day without having to spend most of the time traveling. It doesn't take that long to see everything in Little Italy or Coventry, and then you are still stuck with the question of what to do next.

I mentioned the nostalgia factor because I can't imagine any other reason someone would recommend certain restaurants (Mama Santa's in Little Italy, Corky & Lenny's in Beachwood, Tommy's on Coventry) other than the nostalgia as a place that used to be good years ago. These restaurants are all horrible, but they are consistently ranked among the best. Why?

I listed Chagrin Falls because it is a cute, quaint little town and I do take visitors from out of town there. The falls are pretty and it's a neat little town, but it's just that - little - and I wish there was more to see there. I can't seem to find either an inner ring, outer ring, or surrounding town that has more than a few attractions specific to Cleveland.

Maybe my comments are a little more skewed to the East Side of town. But when I was new here, even living in University Circle, it was always difficult to find enough things to do. And forget about hosting out of town visitors and trying to keep them entertained.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:16 AM

10 posts, read 19,444 times
I grew up in Cleveland but moved away for about 5 years for college. Now I love Cleveland and I'm 23 so it can't be that boring right? You just have to be in the right areas, Lakewood, Ohio City, Tremont, Little Italy, downtown, Coventry, etc. And Tommy's is still a great place to eat!! I have traveled to a lot of places in the States and it is still my favorite.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:37 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
I believed they are folding the RTA on lakewood area. Many seniors were protesting on the street the other day. They said they need RTA to get to their doctors. Very sad.
They are folding the community circulator.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:39 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerensa View Post
Maybe my comments are a little more skewed to the East Side of town. But when I was new here, even living in University Circle, it was always difficult to find enough things to do. And forget about hosting out of town visitors and trying to keep them entertained.
LOL I can't take this comment seriously. If you can't entertain your out of town visitors, you can't entertain yourself, seems like a personal problem.... Which is mind boggling because there are so many things to see/do.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Downtown Cleveland is beautiful. It's an underrated city, no doubt. I'm sure there are problems in certain city neighborhoods, but all cities have that. The skyline of downtown Cleveland is also impressive from the highway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland