Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,933,217 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Cleveland Hts. Moved to Florida at 14 when my father got a better job offer. Returned for a fellowship position several years later. Had fun while I was there but to be honest I wasn't sorry to leave Cleveland when the fellowship ended. Too many people I met there were so negative, they were grey and depressing just like the weather. I wanted to get away from them before that greyness infected me.

But... having said that I'll add that I didn't know that many people and I was only there a short time (as an adult) so I don't know if that's a typical experience. And I enjoyed many things about Cleveland Hts. It's a cool little town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 03:31 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,515 times
moved 5 yrs ago mainly due to CLE weather in winter (snow belt) and sometimes felt 'short changed' in summer... 'spring like temps'-too cold(6-70) or too many rain days. I moved to Charlotte,NC and find that the weather is ideal and you have many more sunny days. I like the area here which is the New South, everything is new, clean and people are upbeat (mostly northern transplants) that have common ethusiasm about the area. Average age seems to be younger as well. I feel like I am on constant vacation here. Also like the college options within the state. I don't plan to move back but do have the opportunity to visit 8-10 times/yr to see customers, see friends and family and use my Browns tickets.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tequia216 View Post
I am from cleveland, I was born and raised hear. I plan to move to Atlanta in January because it is time for a change. It is getting pretty bad here with the crime. Usually crime would just be in major parts of Ohio Cleveland, Akron, etc. But not its coming to the suburbs. I was watch the news and a 4 year old was just killed last week. Someone broke into her home while people was home,and the robber shot and killed the child. you can not find a job here at all, so if you have one ,hold on to it. You can not go out and have a nice time without something going wrong. The economy is very bad but people are robbing people to get by. Thats why i am moving
Um, if you're moving because of crime Atlanta is probably not the best choice. You will find the crime rate down there no better than Cleveland.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:10 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tequia216
I am from cleveland, I was born and raised hear. I plan to move to Atlanta in January because it is time for a change. It is getting pretty bad here with the crime. Usually crime would just be in major parts of Ohio Cleveland, Akron, etc. But not its coming to the suburbs. I was watch the news and a 4 year old was just killed last week. Someone broke into her home while people was home,and the robber shot and killed the child. you can not find a job here at all, so if you have one ,hold on to it. You can not go out and have a nice time without something going wrong. The economy is very bad but people are robbing people to get by. Thats why i am moving

How sad. What area of Cleveland did that happen in? Also, 5Lakes is correct, Atlanta has alot of crime so I'd use caution wherever you are moving there to.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
I lived in Euclid and Painesville for a few years after I graduated from college. I absolutely loved living in the area, but in 1983 it was tough to find a job. Unemployment in Lake County was around 13 percent, maybe even higher. When my unemployment benefits were close to running out, I finally found a job near Dayton, where I'd gone to college, so I went back.

I kept intending to move back. But while I deperately missed living on Lake Erie, I grew to like the five months of summer vs. the five months of winter.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:53 PM

436 posts, read 873,923 times
My friend just moved out, reasons:
1. Grocery pricey. Believe or not, there are whole bunch of places in the sunrise belt are less expensive than Cleveland in term of cost-living.

2. People are more "diversified". There are many good people here, but he also witnessed many littering on the road stuff / tatoo on teens / .......

3. Climate factor.

4. Population density.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:30 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,277 times
I lived in Cleveland (Lakewood, Cleveland Hts, Midtown, Little Italy, Ohio City and Tremont) from 1991-2004. My work opened a new office in Colorado and asked for volunteers. I like change and new place so I took it. Weather and nature were factors, but I miss the cheap cost of living and cultural/restaurant opportunies in Cleve!

Colorado Springs is dull so now I'm heading south to ABQ for more culture and less weather!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,203,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I wanted something different from where I was born/raised. No don't believe I'd ever move back to Cleveland; crime is really bad, so is unemployment. Snow there didn't bother me; it was the summers with the high heat and humdiity I really hate. I would love to see a rebirth of the area but under the current administration I don't see that for Cleveland or any other place happening soon.
Cleveland's (Ohio's) troubles have NOTHING to do with the current administration, either Obama or Ted Strickland. If you're talking state level, please look to Taft, Coingate, and the other scandals that ran amuck in this state for years.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:04 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
I lived in Cleveland (Lakewood, Cleveland Hts, Midtown, Little Italy, Ohio City and Tremont) from 1991-2004. My work opened a new office in Colorado and asked for volunteers. I like change and new place so I took it. Weather and nature were factors, but I miss the cheap cost of living and cultural/restaurant opportunies in Cleve!

Colorado Springs is dull so now I'm heading south to ABQ for more culture and less weather!
Nature I can understand, but weather?!? Most parts of Colorado measure snowfall in FEET, while we still measure in inches (for the most part). When I hear Denver got 4 FEET of snow in one day it just boggles my mind. lol

Old 07-27-2009, 01:09 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,206,908 times
I was born in Cleveland and just moved in late 2007 to Phoenix.

Reasons:
1) My family is here
2) Weather
3) Job Relocation
4) Weather
5) Sunshine
6) Weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: