U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:29 PM

9,569 posts, read 15,025,682 times

Advertisements

lack of jobs, climate, schools, and way too high property taxes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 07:00 PM

6,085 posts, read 6,177,278 times
Disagree about climate.
As I said, Chicago has winters every bit as bad and people aren't leaving Chicago in droves. Not to mention how this city grew in the 30's, 40's and 50's. People came to Cleveland from all over the world. And stayed because there were jobs here. People don't care about climate if they can support thier families and have good quality of life. Oddly enough, some folks even like winter!! Freaks!!
Not to even mention the state of Alaska which has grown 9.5% since 2000. A very small handfull of folks may leave an area over bad climate but I would guess that to be a microscopic part of this equation.
Climate is a cop out...

Old 07-27-2009, 07:30 PM

1,918 posts, read 2,020,591 times
Chicago actually does see a huge population loss, but it's concealed by immigrants from foreign countries and smaller Midwestern cities. Phoenix, for example, is stocked with people from Chicago. Cleveland only has one half of the equation.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,884,937 times
Of course Chicago and Jersey are very corrupt, but those are among the worst of the worst with that today and in the past.

You must live in the nicest area of west park too, because there are rough areas near W130th/Bellaire and down on Rocky Rd.

I have to disagree about Chicago. Of course they have more crime, but Cleveland has a much higher crime rate. Also Cleveland schools are worse then Chicagos overall. Chicago still has many nicer and higher rated schools in nicer parts of the city while Cleveland really doesn't have any.

Chicago (the metro) is growing because their still getting a lot of immigrants and they have done something that Cleveland hasn't, diversified their economy and managed to attract a lot of business and headquarters to the city and area. Cleveland's about 20 years behind Chicago as far as that. Plus Chicago has the advantage of being the unofficial "capital" and largest city of the midwest. It's a world class city and Cleveland hasn't reached that yet so of course Chicago will grow even though it has problems as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 PM

2,369 posts, read 4,487,648 times
The main reason Cleveland is and has been declining is the lack of jobs there. After young people graduate from high school or college they leave because they can't get a job there.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:44 AM

51 posts, read 71,919 times
well if don't like them then show some solution . I am just asking and I am not being negative. That just how people our in Cleveland negative. If not smart enough but complain then don't come in here. I here no good ideas or solution. Most people don't care in Cleveland they accept medocrocy in Clevelnd.

Hell a ote in the city going to jail. If the people in the city demand the best for there taxes and quite voting bums in we have better city instead of nobody caring and apathy. if think I am negative am i one posting how they feel about the truth.

You just can't face the truth and smell coffee that city getting worser by the minute unless we bring business in or the Medical Mart and clean up cleaveland and fix downtow.

Had in front page Sunday paper great lakes Malls is loosing business and need to do something to liven it up. It all round you. It people that make tjhe city and most don't care or very negative
in Cleveland. I like here some solution frpm then complain.

Sounds like a baby another status quoe guy that accept and don't care Clevenad falling apart.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 AM

6,085 posts, read 6,177,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Of course Chicago and Jersey are very corrupt, but those are among the worst of the worst with that today and in the past.
No.... they are just the ones that got caught. It's happening every where and it's madening to me. Whart makes people so GD corrupt once they get into public office? Makes me ill.

Quote:
You must live in the nicest area of west park too, because there are rough areas near W130th/Bellaire and down on Rocky Rd.
Agree 130th especially around Bellaire. Disagree anywhere on Rocky River. Many longtime friends live very near the projects down there and have never had any issues. I mean ZERO.

... and to you Michael76505:
I don't understand your post at all.
No one is REALLY being all that negative in this thread. In fact, I would say we were having a rather adult discussion about the REASONS why Cleveland's population is in decline. I would even go as far to say that this might be one of the best discussions I have seen on this site. No one getting mad, no one yelling at each other, no insults and only one unbelievably stupid racial comment...
You want us to come up with solutions, fine. Start a thread about solving Cleveland's problems. This thread is not asking people about solutions. It is asking people why we are losing population. Pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland