Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 10,789 times

Advertisements

The only thing I can remember that isn't on the many posts are the Knights in ceremonial armor in that huge room in the Cleveland Museum of Art. Ditto the 16th century lady in the red velvet dress who hung on a staircase at the museum. She was my ideal of a true princess.

The Lewis Carroll Room at the Cleveland Public Library downtown. What I want to know is what kind of dunderheaded committee renamed it "Children's Services?"

Blossom Music Center. One of the best summers I ever had was spent working at the restaurant there. (I got to serve Joni Mitchell her orange juice.) It was also great to take a break and hear the Orchestra rehearse--a great lesson in perfecting perfection.

The time the German Father Rowe got some 8th grade boys to fly some big orange helium balloons on top of the tower of the heavily Irish St. Philomena's School on St. Patrick's day.

Other things I miss:
Chip chopped ham. Shaved ham is NOT the same.
Euclid Beach Taffy. There's nothing else like it. Ordered some online.
The Silver Grille. (There's a Silver Grille cookbook for sale online. And it has the recipie for those muffins.)
City Chicken (my husband looked as if I had 2 heads when I mentioned it.
Calling "pop," pop. Much to my disgrace, my daughter calls it soda.
Manner's Big Boy with extra sauce. Why can no one duplicate it? And Manner's fried mushrooms--excellent.
The Festival in Little Italy. Best pizza I ever had.
The wonderful ethnic diversity. Cleveland is supposed to have the best Hungarian food outside of Budapest. All those nationality gardens in Wade Park.
KYW, WKYC, WGAR, WIXY and above all WMMS.
Cain Park--my first introduction to live theater.
Field trips to the Maple Syryp making places out in the country.
Amish in their buggies.
The Rapid. DC's Metro is just too snooty.
Midwestern friendliness. I've lived in NC where the people are nice, but nothing beats Cleveland neighborliness.

Let the rest of the country laugh at us as they will. Cleveland winters build character. So does living in a city where the river caught on fire. Home is home; that's why we all love it so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 07:54 PM

5 posts, read 32,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollybumps View Post
I want to say the Hallee's museum is near the Holden Arboretum. I'll have to find out exactly where from my sister.
The reason they picked that location is because the Hallee Family lived in Waite Hill. In fact on Smith Rd. My great aunt & uncle lived about 4 houses down from them. The Sherwin (Williams) Family owned almost all the land on the other side of the street and had their own aminal & bird sanctuary.
The original Mr. Hallee died many years ago and Mrs. Hallee lived for a long time after. When she died the Hallee's son and his wife opened this museum in their honor.
Another person that lived in Waite Hill was that creepy Art Modell....nobody liked him. Very arrogant!
The Halle's museum is in the Penitentiary Glen (a regional park owned by Lake Metro Park System) estate building. The estate is the original Halle homestead. It's not far from Waite Hill, in Kirtland Hills. My nana, Helen Rees, owned a Beauty Shop in Liverpool, England. When my nana and grandad moved here, after WWII, Nana worked in the salon at Halle's in downtown Cleveland. She talked Mr. Halle into ordering a permanent-wave machine, with the wires that attached to curling rods, from Europe, explaining how she had one in her shop in Liverpool, and how much of a hit it would be with the women in Cleveland. When it arrived, she would do the perms in the window, while passers-by could watch as they made their way down Euclid Ave. It was the talk of Cleveland for awhile, since none of the other salons here had a wave machine.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollybumps View Post
Speaking of Euclid Beach...Do you remember the Fun House and the old lady & man who were showcased outside just laughing constantly? The Lady's name was Laughing Sal..(can't remember the man's name) Anyway someone found Laughing Sal in a warehouse about 6-7 years ago....she was not in good shape. She was totally restored to her original image. The first year she was 'out' she was displayed at stores all over the Cleveland area.
Now she's available to RENT...it used to be $400.00 for a weekend.....price may be different now. Doesn't that bring back memories?
I think Marc Glassman, of Marc's Deep Discounts store, has some kind of partnership with the Humphrey's. He owns 'Laughing Sal', the laughing lady, and his stores are the only place you can get the Euclid Beach popcorn balls and salt water taffy. Right now, Laughing Sal is parked in the Marc's store on Andrews Rd. in Mentor-on-the-Lake. He circulates her to different Marc's locations, keeping her at each one for about 6 months. We just got her again, at this locale. She was at the Shoregate store, in Willowick, on Lakeshore Blvd., last. It's really weird, though; she's stuck in a corner in the front of the store where it's really hard to see she's even there. I let my son push her button when we were in there, today. She sounds just like I remember from my childhood.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post
And Nelson's Ledges. Their where a lot of concerts out there. Guess if you can remember them you were not really there!
To hell with all this responibility!
OMG! That was the wildest place! We'd go there and do LSD all weekend long; swim in the rock quarry; jump off the 100ft cliff, topless. Gosh, I don't even think LSD was even illegal then. Great memories (sigh...). Now, I'm so responsible. I'm an RN, my oldest is a Social Studies teacher, and my other boy's are involved in sports, band, and every activity known to man! It's funny, they'd be totally shocked if they knew mommy was such a hellion!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaholt View Post
i m from knoxville tennessee. want to know how cleveland turns out? is it a good place to live? good doctors? good neurologist? ped. drs? etc...i want to know before i make the decision moving there.
The Cleveland Clinic... Need I say more?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
Does anyone remember a resturant called Happy Charlie's resturant? I have even done a Google search and beleive it or not, I can't find a single hit. I remember there was a fat guy in front and the high point of the visit was rubbing his belly. I seem to recall that it was either on Vine St, or Euclid Ave.

Also, Little Toms pop which came in small glass bottles in several flavors? Most of which were terrible? You bought them by the wooded case full.

Thanks!
Wasn't the Happy Charlie a trademark of the Dog-N-Suds restaurant? I vaguely remember a big Happy Charlie in front of the one on Mentor Ave. in Willoughby. We would rub its belly and make a wish. Were the Little Toms the ones you could buy a case of at that place at Shoregate?

Old 08-17-2008, 08:57 AM

6 posts, read 38,830 times
Default More memories

1. Mario Fazio of Mario Fazio's Restaurant just passed away last week. His obituary was posted online in the News-Herald. His daughter Lisa still runs the place.
2. The Sahara Lounge in Willoughby Hills - In the mid-80's a city councilman was quoted in the N-H complaining about "drunken urinators." They tore the place down in Summer 2008.
3. Polish Boys at Coventry Pizza.
4. Geneva on the Lake.
5. The record store at Newbury's at Great Lakes Mall.
6. Gib Shanley doing Brown's games on the radio
7. Bruce Drennan "ducks on the pond"
8. The Coventry, LaSalle, Euclid, and Center Mayfield theaters, and the Mentor Avenue (now a K-mart) and Mayfield Road (still there) drive-ins.
9. The old Agora.
10. Euclid Tavern with the Phi Zappa Krappa poster above the stage and the Bung Hole downstairs.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:06 PM

256 posts, read 733,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CateRavenwing View Post
OMG! That was the wildest place! We'd go there and do LSD all weekend long; swim in the rock quarry; jump off the 100ft cliff, topless. Gosh, I don't even think LSD was even illegal then. Great memories (sigh...). Now, I'm so responsible. I'm an RN, my oldest is a Social Studies teacher, and my other boy's are involved in sports, band, and every activity known to man! It's funny, they'd be totally shocked if they knew mommy was such a hellion!
Yes! Was just speaking with some one about "those day". Had some of the best times of my life there. LSD was not illegal? I think it was always illegal. Today, I am a responsible person, like you. But, I am soooo glad I had those times!

Old 08-17-2008, 02:56 PM

31 posts, read 190,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
Please repost that, I'd love to see it!

Thanks!
http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f3937%5fAEMmvs4AAO%2faSJjDHwnIbF5x HAU&pid=2.2.2&fid=Inbox&inline=1 (broken link)

I wonder why the menu got zapped by the dreaded red X.

Does anyone remember Lockie Lee Dairy?

Does anyone know where Timberlake is?.....my grandparents lived there for years.....wonder what the area looks like now.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:02 PM

31 posts, read 190,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantlibrarian View Post
The only thing I can remember that isn't on the many posts are the Knights in ceremonial armor in that huge room in the Cleveland Museum of Art. Ditto the 16th century lady in the red velvet dress who hung on a staircase at the museum. She was my ideal of a true princess.

The Lewis Carroll Room at the Cleveland Public Library downtown. What I want to know is what kind of dunderheaded committee renamed it "Children's Services?"

Blossom Music Center. One of the best summers I ever had was spent working at the restaurant there. (I got to serve Joni Mitchell her orange juice.) It was also great to take a break and hear the Orchestra rehearse--a great lesson in perfecting perfection.

The time the German Father Rowe got some 8th grade boys to fly some big orange helium balloons on top of the tower of the heavily Irish St. Philomena's School on St. Patrick's day.

Other things I miss:
Chip chopped ham. Shaved ham is NOT the same.
Euclid Beach Taffy. There's nothing else like it. Ordered some online.
The Silver Grille. (There's a Silver Grille cookbook for sale online. And it has the recipie for those muffins.)
City Chicken (my husband looked as if I had 2 heads when I mentioned it.
Calling "pop," pop. Much to my disgrace, my daughter calls it soda.
Manner's Big Boy with extra sauce. Why can no one duplicate it? And Manner's fried mushrooms--excellent.
The Festival in Little Italy. Best pizza I ever had.
The wonderful ethnic diversity. Cleveland is supposed to have the best Hungarian food outside of Budapest. All those nationality gardens in Wade Park.
KYW, WKYC, WGAR, WIXY and above all WMMS.
Cain Park--my first introduction to live theater.
Field trips to the Maple Syryp making places out in the country.
Amish in their buggies.
The Rapid. DC's Metro is just too snooty.
Midwestern friendliness. I've lived in NC where the people are nice, but nothing beats Cleveland neighborliness.

Let the rest of the country laugh at us as they will. Cleveland winters build character. So does living in a city where the river caught on fire. Home is home; that's why we all love it so.
I've GOT to get the Silver Grille cookbook. Most of my family is now scattered around the country....that cookbook would make an awesome Christmas present. We ALL loved going to the Silver Grille.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland