Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 06:19 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

This time of year always makes me remember the beautiful trees around University Circle. Are they still there? At Easter we'd go downtown and walk around the pond and look at the trees (even if Easter was early and the trees weren't in full bloom yet)... and boy would we walk quickly because Easter was always chilly.

Nearby there was a huge church with a greenish metal roof--we called it Oil Can Temple. Sure hope that's still around, I loved that building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 06:25 AM

48 posts, read 219,217 times
It's all still there... Spring is the best time to see University Circle when the daffodils and trees are all in bloom!

Oil can church:
www.epworth-euclid.org

Old 04-23-2009, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,767 times
Default Spang's bakeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat9 View Post
Besides Hough Bakery, does anyone else remember Spang's Doughnuts?
That's back in the 50's
I was metal detecting today and found a Junior Safety Police Club Badge from Spang's Bakeries. Pretty cool and I was searching the name and found your post. Looks like it's pretty old.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:59 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
The Twigbee shop during Christmas at Higbee's downtown.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,376 times
I remember going to the old stadium for Browns and Indians games. It was pretty much empty every time I was there. Anyone remember the 100th bomber group next to Hopkins Airport? They had old Army jeeps and a P51 Mustang outside and played old WW2 news and music in the restroom. I don't know if it's still there. I'm just a young fella but I remember Kenny King's Lawson's, May Co. Higbees, Stop-n-Shop, Pick-n-Pay, and when the BP building was still the Sohio building. And don't forget Slyman's corned beef sandwiches on St. Patty's day! And Millionaires Row on Euclid Ave. I think there's 2 or 3 mansions still there. I'm only 31 and talkin about the good old days makes me wish for simpler times. Keep 'em coming everybody!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:56 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
^I ate at the 100th Bomber group about two years ago...........should still be there.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:25 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,883 times
^They built a new building for it when they relocated Brookpark Rd.

The 100th Bomb Group Restaurant in Cleveland, OH

Also, Slyman's is still in operation.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,376 times
Hey jam49jeff, thanks for the link! I'm gonna have to go for dinner at least once this summer!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:07 AM

12 posts, read 33,984 times
Default My former neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
It's because everyone left. Who did people expect to take care of the neighborhoods when they all left?
Holy cow....stay to take care of the neighborhood? We left because we HAD TO leave. It was leave or be killed....literally. The only thing standing between us and a burglary a night was big strong doors and a 100 lb. bad a$$ dog with attitude. We never sold the house for money...my mother signed it over to a minority family...signed it over no money, nothing. No one wanted to buy it, we couldn't rent it, we would have had to keep insurance on it. It was a no win situation, so my widowed mother gave the house away. It was in good shape, a two flat, with a large garage. Great shape. Wrong neighborhood.

I Googled my street. About 10 years after they got the house, he left the wife and kids, and then it burned down. It is now an empty lot. I saw it on Google. Actually, most of the lots are empty. We shouldn't have to stick around to take care of things. The new residents should "take care" of their environment instead of neglecting and burning and whatever it is they do. The entire city needs a bulldozer.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:09 AM

12 posts, read 33,984 times
Also, let me add that the house was paid for when we signed it over. We had been there for about 18 years and it was fully paid up. All in order. It was one of the most disgusting experiences in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland