Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 04:33 PM

25 posts, read 42,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Joke that only a Clevelander would know:

What happened to Robbin Swoboda?

Dick Goddard

LOL I remember that joke...only I heard it was Dorothy Fuldheim!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 10:53 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,285,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Those are great. I tried to find pictures of the old M&F window displays but couldn't. All I found were a lot of complaints about Macy's removing them and the wonderful 10th floor displays they had with a train that ran around the ceiling kids could ride.

There was a neighborhood near mine called Peacock Lane where all the homeowners displayed beautiful decorations mostly hand made from Europe. People would walk or drive through and be met with free hot chocolate, cookies and caroling. At one time they even had horse carriage rides. As the population of the city grew and word of mouth spread, it got very crowded and I stopped going. It's still goes on though although I don't know about the hot chocolate and cookies. You have to wait a long time to go the few blocks to see the houses if you drive.

It was written up this year in the Huffington Post as one of the best neighborhoods in which to see old fashioned Christmas displays.

Another neighborhood had "NoPo Christmas House" in North Portland. This one was on TV on Grimm as a background. It's someone's house that year after year they add decorations until you can see it from space. None of the decorations are tacky plastic but really beautiful. Another is the Victorian House which is a beautiful old Victorian home that is lit up all in white you can see from the highway and walk around the inside to look at real Victorian furniture and Christmas ornaments.

Does Cleveland have and specific neighborhoods other than The Christmas House where "A Christmas Story" was shot where people decorate for a few blocks? Since I live right near Fairmount Ave we drove around there at night hoping to see some light displays from the mansions but hardly any were decorated.

I will check out the Oglebay Festival for next year. My sister in Los Angeles always comes to Chicago to visit her son and his family in early December. I am trying to persuade her and other BIL to wait a couple of weeks and take a side trip to Cleveland so we can all be together. The Torontonians weren't interested in seeing where "A Christmas Story" was filmed but the Los Anglicans are. They love that movie and watch it over and over again at Christmas. So I am using that as bait.
Minervah, for your future Christmas adventures, Mark Klaus' Castle Noel in Medina has department store windows from NYC, as well as a myriad of other Christmas-themed attractions, including a replica of the Higbee's slide from "A Christmas Story" that even octogenarians can slide down. As you can see, it is one Christmas-lover's fantasy land come to life:

Santa Claus has taken up a year-around residence in Medina, living in Castle Noel - newsnet5.com Cleveland

Additionally, Medina's square is one of the most charming in northern Ohio, especially during the holiday season.

http://www.cleveland.com/medina/inde...ay_approv.html

http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.c...for-christmas/

Castle Noel and Medina are making future memories for Greater Clevelanders.

Also check out Penitentiary Glen and the nearby Lake Metroparks Farmpark during the holidays. They sometimes have special holiday-themed attractions.

Stan Hywet Hall in Akron also is a Western Reserve holiday visit tradition for many northern Ohioans.

http://www.stanhywet.org/events/deck-hall

Last edited by WRnative; 03-17-2015 at 11:05 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Those are great. I tried to find pictures of the old M&F window displays but couldn't. All I found were a lot of complaints about Macy's removing them and the wonderful 10th floor displays they had with a train that ran around the ceiling kids could ride.

There was a neighborhood near mine called Peacock Lane where all the homeowners displayed beautiful decorations mostly hand made from Europe. People would walk or drive through and be met with free hot chocolate, cookies and caroling. At one time they even had horse carriage rides. As the population of the city grew and word of mouth spread, it got very crowded and I stopped going. It's still goes on though although I don't know about the hot chocolate and cookies. You have to wait a long time to go the few blocks to see the houses if you drive.

It was written up this year in the Huffington Post as one of the best neighborhoods in which to see old fashioned Christmas displays.

Another neighborhood had "NoPo Christmas House" in North Portland. This one was on TV on Grimm as a background. It's someone's house that year after year they add decorations until you can see it from space. None of the decorations are tacky plastic but really beautiful. Another is the Victorian House which is a beautiful old Victorian home that is lit up all in white you can see from the highway and walk around the inside to look at real Victorian furniture and Christmas ornaments.

Does Cleveland have and specific neighborhoods other than The Christmas House where "A Christmas Story" was shot where people decorate for a few blocks? Since I live right near Fairmount Ave we drove around there at night hoping to see some light displays from the mansions but hardly any were decorated.

I will check out the Oglebay Festival for next year. My sister in Los Angeles always comes to Chicago to visit her son and his family in early December. I am trying to persuade her and other BIL to wait a couple of weeks and take a side trip to Cleveland so we can all be together. The Torontonians weren't interested in seeing where "A Christmas Story" was filmed but the Los Anglicans are. They love that movie and watch it over and over again at Christmas. So I am using that as bait.
Minervah, BTW, did you know any Wesens in Portland? :-) I wonder why all the Wesens and vampires (Twilight) congregate in the Pacific Northwest. Is it inherently creepy, like Stephen King's Maine? Maybe, humans are inherently afraid of forests and oceans.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,923,934 times
I thought that I had posted in this thread, but couldn't find it, since it is a rather large thread, I'll throw in my list;

Geauga Lake- While I loved Cedar Point as it was the place to go for thrills, and there was no comparison between the 2 parks. It is an absolute travesty what happened to this place, and were it still there, it would have been a great place to start my son on roller coasters like my dad did with me. My first roller coaster was at age 7 on the Corkscrew, followed by the Big Dipper. I almost fell out of that damn ride on one of those bunny hills!

Sea World of Ohio- I liked Geauga Lake better, and everytime I went to Sea World, I wished I was on the other side of the lake. However; one of my fondest memories was in 4th grade with my class field trip, in which we saw the behind the scenes stuff on how they worked with and trained them.

The Browns 12 Days of Christmas- I got this 45 in 3rd grade, and to this day can recite all of the words.

98.5 WGCL- Growing up as a kid in the 80s this was the best DAMN top 40 station in the land! I was mad when they changed over to WNCX.

WMMS- Remember when it was 101 FM?

M105- prior to it's days as Majic 105.7.

Power 108- I listened to this a lot in high school, and used to love when they featured the "all cool all request open house party" by John Garabedian. I was p***ed when they switched over to the End with all of that grunge crap!

Cleveland's Hit Music Station Jammin' 92.3- Their best years IMO was from 93-95, and I had DJ'd a couple of lady's nights outs that they hosted at a few local clubs in the late 90s.

The Mining Company- If you're a gen-xer like myself, how could you NOT remember this "meat market" of a night club on the corner of Brook Park and Pearl?

The Flats- I loved partyin' down there in the early to mid 90s prior to becoming a DJ. In fact hanging down there actually inspired me to get into DJing. Rum Runners, Beach Club, Bar Cleveland, The Basement, Heaven and Earth, Club 1148.... good times.

Cleveland Municipal Stadium- I miss that old s*** hole! Yes it was a s*** hole, but that place had something that the new Browns stadium just doesn't have.

Fazios- I remember going to the one in Southland all of the time.
Pick N Pay- Southland location.
Stop N Shop- Again Southland.
Gold Circle- Yep you guessed it... Southland. I remember as a kid (about 6 or 7) throwing up in that store. Sadly, as my mom was rushing me to the bathroom I didn't make it. I pity the poor soul who had to clean it up.
Zayres- at the corner of Smith and 150th.
Forest City- We always went to the one by Parma Town.

Be back with more.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:29 AM

Default ...continued...

Told ya I'd be back.

The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo- One of my fondest childhood memories. Does anyone remember the walk through bird house, and the peacocks that were found wandering throughout the zoo?

Duffs- This was a buffet style restaurant. We used to go to the one in Laurel Square in Brunswick.

Carney's- Located in Laurel Square in Brunswick was touted as the largest unorganized car show in the country. It was sad that it's demise was caused by merchants in the plaza complaining about all of the traffic forcing them after many years in that location to move to Medina to a much smaller venue thus killing it.

Terminal Tower- Of course when you think of Cleveland this iconic landmark should be the first image that comes to mind. The funny thing is, I've lived in this region all of my life and while I've been on other skyscrapers like The Sears Tower, The Hancock Building (both in Chicago), The Empire State Building and WTC South Tower NYC), the CN Tower (Toronto) and Perry's Monument at Put N Bay, I've never been up to the observation deck of the Terminal Tower.

Angie's Pizza in North Royalton- IMO it's the best pizza in the area!

Loder's Shake Shoppe in North Royalton- Great shakes, great ice cream, and their burgers weren't bad either.

The Free Stamp

IX Indoor Amusement Park- You always knew it was a sure sign of spring coming when this came to town.

The Richfield Coliseum- It's sad that they didn't do something with that space after it closed.

Hinckley and Brecksville Reserve- Part of the Cleveland Metroparks. Went to both quite a lot, and loved Whipp's Ledges and walking around the lake at Hinckley. I remember one winter as a kid walking across the ice on that lake with my mom, my step dad and step brother. It must have been a cold one, because there was no danger of falling in.

Garfield 1 2323- Anyone who is from northeast Ohio has to remember this jingle.

Dick Goddard- The legendary Cleveland meteorologist keeps on going. As a kid I was always fascinated with weather (and still am) and wanted to be like him.

Live on Five
The Morning Exchange
The Afternoon Exchange
Cleveland Magazine
Super Host- It started with The Three Stooges followed by campy movies.
The Prize Movie with John Lanigan
Big Chuck and Little John
Barnaby
Romper Room

And now for some bad memories..
Red Right 88
The Drive
The Fumble
The Shot
Bernie Kosar cut
The Move- Modell moving the Browns to Baltimore
Jose Mesa and The Blown Save
The Decision

Which leaves me to our favorite unofficial slogan in regards to our sports teams "wait til next year!"

Old 03-18-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Told ya I'd be back.

The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo- One of my fondest childhood memories. Does anyone remember the walk through bird house, and the peacocks that were found wandering throughout the zoo?

Terminal Tower- Of course when you think of Cleveland this iconic landmark should be the first image that comes to mind. The funny thing is, I've lived in this region all of my life and while I've been on other skyscrapers like The Sears Tower, The Hancock Building (both in Chicago), The Empire State Building and WTC South Tower NYC), the CN Tower (Toronto) and Perry's Monument at Put N Bay, I've never been up to the observation deck of the Terminal Tower.
Thanks for reminding me about the bird house and the peacocks. That triggered a memory from decades ago!

The Terminal Tower is an immense bargain given what is being charged to go to other high-rise observation decks. However, like the Willis (Sears) Tower, the Terminal Tower doesn't have an open-air option.

Don't wait to go to the Terminal Tower!!! Many of us seem to visit every couple years. While you're at it, take a free bus trolley to check out the new Heinen's inside the Ameritrust Rotunda.

BTW, the Ameritrust Rotunda (pre-Heinen's) and the gigantic, now closed Huntington Bank lobby are other fond memories of mine. The Huntington Bank lobby (see picture below) once was the world's largest and still ranks among the largest in the world. Perhaps Giant Eagle will open a store there soon (LOL).

Cleveland’s Miracle 6 Miles | Cross City Skate

Old 03-18-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Thanks for reminding me about the bird house and the peacocks. That triggered a memory from decades ago!

The Terminal Tower is an immense bargain given what is being charged to go to other high-rise observation decks. However, like the Willis (Sears) Tower, the Terminal Tower doesn't have an open-air option.

Don't wait to go to the Terminal Tower!!! Many of us seem to visit every couple years. While you're at it, take a free bus trolley to check out the new Heinen's inside the Ameritrust Rotunda.

BTW, the Ameritrust Rotunda (pre-Heinen's) and the gigantic, now closed Huntington Bank lobby are other fond memories of mine. The Huntington Bank lobby (see picture below) once was the world's largest and still ranks among the largest in the world. Perhaps Giant Eagle will open a store there soon (LOL).

Cleveland’s Miracle 6 Miles | Cross City Skate

I do plan on going to the Terminal Tower at some point, and having an 11 year old boy of my own, that gives me the incentive to do so. As for the zoo, I wonder why they got rid of the walk through bird house and the peacocks? They were a staple for years. Never been to the Ameritrust Rotunda. Oh and speaking of the Terminal Tower, do you remember the record store in Tower City that had the 65 Mustang in their window! That was a sweet looking ride.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:06 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,586,350 times
-The Identity (my favorite part)

-Hiking the Skyline View trail at Chapin Forest (being in Lake County, especially the 2 years I attended PSEO at Lakeland, and at various future times coming back for summer working at Holden and Deepwood, I enjoyed being able to see the skyline from 20 miles away without leaving the county. Not that I didn't enjoy going down there, but you know, 30 extra minutes to see the skyline, I wanted a shorter commute to feel connected and all. One of the closer things to mountain hiking in CLE, closest thing to like a Stone Mountain (ATL) here.

-Amish Country. Truly a very unique asset to our area. Much shorter commute than Philadelphians have to the only Amish country that can truly match ours, IMO.

-Camp Burton. Thoroughly enjoyed working here some. Nice place. Also, nothing better than waking up before anyone else, and jogging down Taylor Wells Road, with agriculture/plains, rolling hills, a few barns, and the few/early morning fog there. Such a simple and spectacular place.

-Virginia Kendall Area (CVNP), maybe Cleveland's most unique geological asset, something I've traveled many places and haven't seen something like it.

-The Holden Arboretum. Didn't have the most positive working experience here, but not because of the arboretum. Plus it really is some beautiful scenery there.

-History. The fact that there's so many local historical societies and a commitment to learning/preserving history, and reading (excellent libraries) and just education in general. Seems to be prominent here more than many areas in country. Of course there are the globally relevant institutions of university circle and LI/OC which have received similar praise , but it seems like every city there is here has some type of museum of historic area, paralleled by few areas in the US. I personally am a member of FHM in Fairport Harbor even though I have left, and I love going there whenever I am back.

-Roadtrips: I like that a day/weekend trip can be to Niagara Falls or Toronto, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Put in Bay or the mountains of West Virginia. The location is superb.

...and of course

West Side Market and Progressive Field. My two favorite places in the world.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:08 PM

Ahh yes Clevelander 1991.... Virginia Kendall. I forgot to add that to my list. Went there a lot as a kid too.

Does anyone remember Martial Arts Theater featured on Saturdays on Channel 61? My step brother and I used to watch that religiously, and my mom would get so p***ed at us, because of the horrible sound effects and the horrible dubbing of English.

I've seen SOHIO mentioned numerous times but I have to throw it out there. It was strange when we were coming back from Florida after my great uncle's funeral in 1984 and stopped at a BORON station in Kentucky. Same branding and signage it just said "BORON!"

How about these locations?

Faroh's Candies in Southland. Didn't it burn down?
JC Pennys in Southland. it was there prior to having one put in as an anchor store at Parma Town Mall, and ended up burning down. I was in 2nd grade when that happened, and it was a bad fire, because the place was gutted! Speaking of Parma Town Mall, don't forget prior to the addition of the food court, and JC Pennys there was an SS Kresge's there.

Oh, and 2 more things both behind The Mining Company

Space Invaders Arcade
The Wax Museum- For all intents and purposes a head shop. They sold bongs, bowls, and crack pipes all with the disclaimer not intended for illegal use. Ummm, yeah... OK.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:17 PM

50 posts, read 62,770 times
I nearly freaked out the other day when I was walking around my neighborhood -- Crown Heights, Brooklyn -- when I saw parked on the side of the road an Orlando bread truck. It looked like it was practically dragged from Cleveland to New York, but the logo was unmistakable.

Of course, no one around me had any idea what I was so excited about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland