Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 10:36 AM

31 posts, read 191,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
The Sun Press still exists, its coverage area includes Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, University Heights, and Beachwood. It's part of the Sun Newspapers chain.

I haven't heard of the Hough Bakery, I'd assume that it's long gone.
Hough Bakery...Oh! Their sugar cookies and custard pies were to die for. The closest store to us was in downtown Willoughby.
In first grade we went to the main bakery to see how bread was made. They served fresh bread & honey when the tour was over.
Hough also had a huge Catering Company...very popular! In fact several members of my family worked part-time for that company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
One great memory that I have of growing up in Mentor-on-the-Lake was being able to ride our bikes to the store (Convenient Mart or Lawson's) or basically wherever we wanted, all the way through the 70's and 80's. We also used to walk or ride up to the lake every day in the summer. I wonder if the kids in Mentor and M-O-L are still able to ride their bikes around like we used to, or have times changed? In metro Atlanta, even in the nice suburb that we live in, I do not let my daughter ride out of sight. There have been too many stories of attempted abductions, etc. It's a shame what has become of our country.
A bunch of us spent Prom Night at that Beach...the Headlands beach was popular also.

Last edited by Dollybumps; 05-09-2008 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Repeat

Old 05-09-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
One great memory that I have of growing up in Mentor-on-the-Lake was being able to ride our bikes to the store (Convenient Mart or Lawson's) or basically wherever we wanted, all the way through the 70's and 80's. We also used to walk or ride up to the lake every day in the summer. I wonder if the kids in Mentor and M-O-L are still able to ride their bikes around like we used to, or have times changed? In metro Atlanta, even in the nice suburb that we live in, I do not let my daughter ride out of sight. There have been too many stories of attempted abductions, etc. It's a shame what has become of our country.
I grew up in Mentor. I went to Dale R. Rice Elementary school. Do you remember the Roller Rink in Mentor On The Lake. We could walk or ride our bikes there and spend all of Saturday afternoon....our parents weren't worried about us being safe. Those were the days!

Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclevelander View Post
Holy cow, I haven't thought about that in years. Not that I watched that show, but I do remember flipping past it when changing channels on Sunday afternoons as a kid. Wasn't it broadcast right after the Gene Carroll show? (remember THAT one?)

Anyone remember when Severance Mall was a huge full-sized mall (is it still there, wasn't it torn down and made into some sort of outdoor open-air mall?) I remember the huge water fountain in the center surrounded by a huge red-brick circular bench. And anyone remember Pappy Parker's Fried Chicken at Severance?

Or the old Cedar Center stores that are long gone: Scotts 5 & 10, Bi-Rite, Guinta's (if that's even spelled right). Skalls. Mawby's.
I remember when Severance Mall was built. It was a big deal back then. We used to get back-to-school clothes at Hallee's Dept Store.
POLKA VARIETIES....oh man.....I totally forgot about that! LOL

Old 05-09-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiejane View Post
In case anyone else out there is old enough to remember the horrendous storm we had on July 4, 1969, I found a write-up on it. I'd never heard the term "derecho" before, and hope I never have cause to hear it again. I was very young at the time, and that storm is still vivid in my memory.

The Ohio Fireworks Derecho

RIP Gib Shanley.
I had just gotten my driver's license. After a family 4th of July picnic I was driving my friend home. Right down Mentor Ave. we went not knowing bad weather was on the way. The sky turned greenish/yellow...the rain and wind hit...trees were falling across the road and street signs were flying.
This was long before cell phones. We were terrified and Mom & Dad were home frantic.
Later that night when the electricity finally went back on we watched the news and learned how bad the storms were that afternoon.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintheland View Post
*Sigh* I miss Marc's

Just wanted to cosign on:

Dead Mans Curve
the Marginal
"the lake"
Higbees
May Company
Cedar Center
Mama Mia's
when Severance was a real mall
going to Nela (sp) Park/Noble to see xmas lights
the old Richmond Mall
Big Chuck and Little John
Wooly Bears
Dick Goddard
Bi Rite
North Chagrin Reservation
Squires Castle
Euclid Creek park
Golden Gate
Gold circle
Value city
3, 5, 8, 19, and 43
sledding at Cain park
sidewalks and treelawns and sidestreets
walking to school
Hunans
Mentor headlands w/ the rocky sand
Dover Lake
Pioneer water land
Oh my gosh! Squires Castle SO MANY picnics we had there...you can also sled ride there in the winter. My Dad worked at Nela Park....we went to see the Christmas lights every year. Euclid Beach...my grandparents met there and my parents met there 25 years later. The candy kisses and popcorn balls. Tuesday was nickel day...all rides a nickel.
I worked at May Company at the Great Lakes Mall during the summers when I was in high school...Mom shopped at Bi-right or A&P.
P.O.C. beer...the Pride Of Cleveland....and that's what I'm seeing in many of these posts..... We are all so proud to call Cleveland our home.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I still get nostalgic driving by the old Red Barn building on Mentor Ave. in Mentor - now it is a music store, but it still has the barn shape. I also remember the old Burger Chef on Mentor Ave. as well - that was always one of my favorite places as a kid.
Mentor Ave...my stomping grounds for 28 years. I went to kindergarten on Mentor Ave @ 306. First Grade Mentor Elementary School on Mentor Ave. It was an old building behind the old High School (Mentor Ave @ 615) I'll bet that building is long gone. I went ot Ridge Jr. High (behind the mall) and Memorial Jr. High (the old high school building.)
The stretch of Mentor Ave between the mall & 615 was really a pretty area. Mentor Rec Park was there....swimming, softball and groovy dances for the "teenagers" once a month back in the mid- late 1960s.
The library and my dentist Dr. Hummer.
I moved to Dallas in 1981 and have only been back two times for a visit. Wonder what Mentor Ave. looks like today? It's been years since I've seen it. Miss those days!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
i still ask for chip chop ham and the lady looks and when i tell her what it is she says oh you want it shaved
My poor dad had shaved chip chopped ham in his lunch box for 25 years. How funny...we still laugh about that.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Maybe some of the oldsters remember Franklin Ice Cream, those wooden escalators in Higbees and the restaurant, was it called the Silver Grille? How about the other department store (Halle's?) that had the goldfish fountain in the middle?
Higbee's Silver Grill had a special lunch they served children. They brought out a little cardboard stove for each child. There were two little pots on the burners...one had mashed potatoes and one had peas & carrots in it. When you opened the little oven door you would find a child size meatloaf in a small pan.
That had to be the late 1950s & early 1960s. My grandma took me there every year on my birthday. We rode the Rapid Transit all the way downtown.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat9 View Post
As some of you have said, I just happened upon this site by accident and everything you are talking about is making me majorly homesick.
I was born and raised in Cleveland and transplanted in 1978 to my present home in Salem Oregon. Most of what you remember are major memories for me. I remember Ghoulardi on late night (Fridays or Saturdays) and when I went for my driver's exam I had a Ghoulardi sticker on my dash for the drink of the same name that you could order at Manner's. It was greenish and it
tasted great!!
Remember
LUV Burgers
WIXY 1260
The Corral (somewhere in Olmsted Falls off Columbia Rd.)
and The Seven Gables for dancing and hanging out.
3.2 Beer
W.T. Grants on Snow RD and Broadview
(I worked there and they had a real lunch counter)
Sterling-Lindner-Davis Store and Christmas Tree
Higbee's Charm School
Frosted Malteds at Higbee's
Isaly's
The Emerald Necklace (Metro Parks) I could travel all over the
city without ever entering a major corridor.

And boy!! do I remember the Fourth of July storm of 1969. We lived in Lakewood and we were watching Wild Wild West when everything went dark and all Hell broke loose. I had to run upstairs to retrieve a sleeping baby and grab an 18 month old and head for the basement. We had two huge maple trees in the yard, one by the back door and one in the tree lawn.
While all this was going on my husband was shuffling cars in and out of the garage because the one that was out the roof leaked. Before you knew it,
the storm was gone. My best friend and her family were in Lakewood Park waiting for the fireworks when it hit. Boy, could she tell you a few stories!
Clifton Blvd and Lake Avenue were all but impassible because of all the fallen
trees in the road. Our power was out for 3 days and the sound of chainsaws
seemed unending.
How about the snow storm in December 1962?
All the school's were closed for a week even the Catholic ones because someone called a TV station claiming to be from the dioceses, only that proved to be false but by the time it was discovered it was too late to change it.
Hooray! for our side.
3.2 Beer...Texans never heard of it! LOL
Isaly's had the best giant dill pickles...took 3 days to eat it.
Sterling Linder Davis...the beautiful tree and do you remember Francis The Mule? ( a Christmas time attraction) He'd talk to you thru a wooden window and then he would slide a gift out to you through a little opening under the window. (Sounds creepy now! It wasn't then)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland