Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
What does "Dennis The Menace" have to do with Cleveland?
Dennis the Menace was Dennis Kucinich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 PM

Here's what I remember (and miss):

Alex Bevan and the "Skinny Little Boy from Cleveland Ohio"
Draegers
Coventry Street Fair
Hessler Street Fair
Tommy's
Jungle Larry
Tony's Polka Village on E 185th
Splash in the Flats
The Pirate's Cove
The Turkey Ridge on Coventry

Old 03-02-2010, 01:35 PM

we were at my uncle's on the lake in Lorain... I was 7, too. My brother locked me out of the house as the sky turned from grey to green to black. still hate thunderstorms. forgave my brother about 2 years ago.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:17 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
I go back far enough that I remember when the WalMart in Cleveland Hts. was once the stunning Longwood Estate:

There were many protests when the owner of the estate sold the property and it became Severance Center. But, people were excited about Severance Center, too. It was one of the first enclosed shopping malls in America. (It may have be the very first.) It used to be the place to go, not only for shopping but just for fun.

I also remember when Severance became a WalMart, and how people were excited about that, too. Well, sorta excited. The old shopping mall had become dated, and WalMart seemed like something everyone wanted.

Now it has riots? Man, that's sad.

That property has re-invented itself so many times. I hope the next change is something everyone's excited about again.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:48 PM

228 posts, read 555,075 times
Hector Marinaro and the Cleveland Crunch.

I used to attend his soccer camps.
Buddies and I went to games all through high school. Some of the most amazing crowds.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:14 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthpub View Post
Hector Marinaro and the Cleveland Crunch.

I used to attend his soccer camps.
Buddies and I went to games all through high school. Some of the most amazing crowds.

I forgot about the Crunch. I remember going to a couple of Cleveland Force games in the 80's when they were doing pretty well.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Who remembers the Cleveland Barons!

Why no professional hockey in Cleveland?

Cleveland is a frozen tundra for 4 months and no professional hockey team!

Just sad.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:30 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Who remembers the Cleveland Barons!

Why no professional hockey in Cleveland?

Cleveland is a frozen tundra for 4 months and no professional hockey team!

Just sad.
Because the NHL doesn't hand them out like candy. Because the NHL thinks Cleveland cannot support yet another pro sports team having 3 already. That is why Columbus was awarded one and we were not. We can barely support our minor league hockey teams. Face it, Cleveland is not a Hockey town. How many minor league teams have we gone through???
We have one now and attendance is dismal at best. We'll be lucky if we don't lose them, too.
Let me guess: You've never been to a Monsters game, have you?
Me? I have tickets for the Rochester game on the 24th. See you there?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:18 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Because the NHL doesn't hand them out like candy. Because the NHL thinks Cleveland cannot support yet another pro sports team having 3 already. That is why Columbus was awarded one and we were not. We can barely support our minor league hockey teams. Face it, Cleveland is not a Hockey town. How many minor league teams have we gone through???
We have one now and attendance is dismal at best. We'll be lucky if we don't lose them, too.
Let me guess: You've never been to a Monsters game, have you?
Me? I have tickets for the Rochester game on the 24th. See you there?

It always baffled me that Cleveland being a cold weather city can't seem to support for a hockey team. It's a cool sport, and I really enjoyed watching the US/Canda gold medal game (even though we lost). My wife and I when we started dating went to a lot of Lumberjacks games, and they were quite fun. In fact, that is where her and I met, was at a Lumberjacks game. I think part of it is, that Cleveland while a great sports town (despite our bad luck with winning a championship) is a football town first and foremost. Yes we have Lebron, and since the Cavs have started winning they have gained popularity. But I think that as bad as they've been since their return,the Browns are still the #1 team in town. They sell out no matter what, and it seems we talk football on sports shows all year long. I love all Cleveland teams, but I am a football fan first, and the Browns are my favorite Cleveland team by far.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,320 times
Default southside

i to remember the bathhouse and the merreick house and lincoln park.i am a old southsider myself.my grandparents lived on starkweather and i was born in the projects and lived all over the southside.west 14th st.and anything above is not a part of the old southside.i went and graduated from tremont grade school and went to the first lincoln high school.do you remember at lincoln high school they had a giant copper bust of president lincoln in the middle of the first floor where you first walk in.we used to pitch pennies from the third floor down on it.do you remember sam's dry good store and the five and dime store on professor? the southside was a great place to grow up in until the late 60's when it started getting so bad.do you remember mr.sopko at tremont school?i remember when they had a thing called band stand at lincoln park and old clark field.i also remember the traveling circus when it came to the school playground. if you lived on the southside i may know you or some of your family.e-mail me back at patsyelkview@aol.com.i would love to hear from anyone who has the same memories as i do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland