Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 03:49 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,628 times

Advertisements

You know We are the North Coast, not the ocean , but those great lakes
are not called that for nothing Heck there is even a surfboard club/
that hits the waves in the winter Now that I really don't understand
but they all seem to enjoy it.
yes Sea World was a very GREAT THING TO HAVE , I am so glad my son
got there before it closed he is now only 22 , saved me the cost of going to Florida , Oh wait we did do the Florida trip to the everglades, South Beach , fort lauderdale , and all over,
thanks for the memory of Sea World Ohio .
quote=normie;15412713]I have fond memories of Sea World. Although I never understood why they built a Sea World out in the middle of Ohio. Usually those places are in a more ocean-oriented area like San Diego or Florida.

I was sorry when it closed, though. It was a cool thing to have, even if it was a little out of place.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 PM

Default Now your bumming me out

Captain Penny , was one of the main attractions of the Shaker Square
Chrismas event I and many heard about this years later ,
Gene Carroll Show , Every Sunday after church
The granddaughter of the Spitzer family is the spokes person now
they will now sell you almost any brand car built today,
Manners Bigboy yum , but not many left in the area , my big memory is
they had the car hop
Westside Market - Eastside kid here , but have lived west all my adult
live and I only know the place at West 25th and Lorain Avenue
as the Westside Market , Iam sure it's the same place,

The Gene Carroll show was on Sundays. Dell Spitzer wanted to sell you a car, right now.

When McDonalds first opened in Cleveland you could feed a whole family for $5.00

Ron Penfound,alias Captain Penny got fired after appearing drunk on the set and cussing out some of the kids in the live audience.
If you wanted a bigger burger you went to MANNERS and had a Manners BigBoy and they had pretty good strawberry pie.

I have seen mentioned the Westside Market, is that the old West 25th Street Market?[/quote]

Old 08-28-2010, 04:38 PM

8 posts, read 30,011 times
Well. I thought of a COUPLE things no one seems to have mentioned (heh-heh!)

"Che-vy!, Che-vy! See Commander Ray!...at West Park Chev-ro-leeeeet!!"---(now THAT one's gonna stick like GLUE!)

And how about Squire's Castle?! I mean, I remember how ALL the metroparks were so beautiful! Especially compared to the ones we have here in Denver.

My favorite from Hough Bakery was always the daffodil cake
The huge and beautiful Christmas tree at the Sterling-Linder-Davis department store downtown.

Euclid Beach Park! Laughing Sal, the fat lady, the rocket ship ride that flew over the lake, the Bug, The Thriller, Over the Falls, the little children's train ride, The Rotor, the Funhouse, the bumper cars, I can't remember many more of the rides, but I can remember the popcorn balls....and the delicious frozen custard!!

Monkey Island at the Cleveland Zoo

Arabica Coffeehouses....so SOULFUL! There was the one in the Arcade downtown (The Ara-BIC-a), one in Shaker Heights (The Ara-CHIC-a) and one in Coventry (The Ara-FREAK-a, or "The 'bic)...but I remember the marathon games of GO, the Earl Grey tea mixed with Lavendar (I make that now...I lb. Earl Grey tes, I c. lavendar flowers....makes great gifts!)....and don't forget the INCOMPARABLE croissants...I have a friend out here who BAKED those for the 'bic...made from scratch!

The Inn on Coventry? Those BRUNCHES! Orange whole wheat pancakes, french toast made from banana bread, a copy of "The Funny Times", and the sun streaming in the picture window.

Also in Coventry, High Tide Rock Bottom, which I think is still there...but was such a great place to shop for greeting cards.

and in no particular order, Isaly's Ice Cream, The Old Arcade, Little Tom pop...and though I never drank Cherokee Red, Cotton Club also makes a soda called "50/50" which is unavailable in the West.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:47 PM

Yes, the West Side Market with the clock tower on W. 25th...with the herringbone brickwork on that vaulted ceiling. I mean, that is a foodie's paradise! All those GARLANDS of sausages! And I'm ANTIQUE enough to remember the old lady with the babushka, multiple petticoats and apron who sold eggs. She would sit with a little charcoal heater underneath all those skirts!

The last time I visited Mentor, all but a couple of the grocery stores had closed down, and shopping for food is so aggravating, that my family now goes to the West Side Market once a week to shop. Those bratwursts from Kitchen Maid Meats are worth the trip!

Old 08-28-2010, 05:38 PM

Holy Crackers! I had a job washing dishes at Mentor Lunch! It seated, what? about 17 people? It was a fossil of a place for sure! But the owner DID make the baked beans and mashed potatoes from scratch!

Old 08-28-2010, 10:14 PM

Default Great stuff

You still can get those great popcorn balls ( made by the same family)
Humprey I think is the correct family name and East Coast Custard (the place was showcased on a food show , what's Ice Cream and the other stuff ,is still here , it seems alot of food products at Euclid Beach was family owned and not the park's,
do you know the grand entry way to the park still stands ? The land is part of a senior citzens housing ( how fitting ) LOL ,of all things I hated was the ferris wheel , and me and my mom got stuck on it , of all places at the top, laughing Sal , real scary part is she still alive in some
person's collection of things, I could go on , I have seen it done it , my friends from the burbs laugh and called me Mister Cleveland , because
I grew up at a time when the city was fading and the suburbs ruled, and noone dared to go downtown
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbetterinmentor View Post
Well. I thought of a COUPLE things no one seems to have mentioned (heh-heh!)

"Che-vy!, Che-vy! See Commander Ray!...at West Park Chev-ro-leeeeet!!"---(now THAT one's gonna stick like GLUE!)

And how about Squire's Castle?! I mean, I remember how ALL the metroparks were so beautiful! Especially compared to the ones we have here in Denver.

My favorite from Hough Bakery was always the daffodil cake
The huge and beautiful Christmas tree at the Sterling-Linder-Davis department store downtown.

Euclid Beach Park! Laughing Sal, the fat lady, the rocket ship ride that flew over the lake, the Bug, The Thriller, Over the Falls, the little children's train ride, The Rotor, the Funhouse, the bumper cars, I can't remember many more of the rides, but I can remember the popcorn balls....and the delicious frozen custard!!

Monkey Island at the Cleveland Zoo

Arabica Coffeehouses....so SOULFUL! There was the one in the Arcade downtown (The Ara-BIC-a), one in Shaker Heights (The Ara-CHIC-a) and one in Coventry (The Ara-FREAK-a, or "The 'bic)...but I remember the marathon games of GO, the Earl Grey tea mixed with Lavendar (I make that now...I lb. Earl Grey tes, I c. lavendar flowers....makes great gifts!)....and don't forget the INCOMPARABLE croissants...I have a friend out here who BAKED those for the 'bic...made from scratch!

The Inn on Coventry? Those BRUNCHES! Orange whole wheat pancakes, french toast made from banana bread, a copy of "The Funny Times", and the sun streaming in the picture window.

Also in Coventry, High Tide Rock Bottom, which I think is still there...but was such a great place to shop for greeting cards.

and in no particular order, Isaly's Ice Cream, The Old Arcade, Little Tom pop...and though I never drank Cherokee Red, Cotton Club also makes a soda called "50/50" which is unavailable in the West.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:42 PM

My memory of the July 4 1969 storm---I was 17 and my kid brother was 10, a friend of the family who lived in Cleveland Heights invited us to go along to the Festival of Freedom in Edgewater Park. Not surprisingly, we never made it. For some odd reason, she decided that we should take a ride on the rapid and go to the airport to watch planes! I remember the stops on the rapid ride. The doors of the stations were swinging wildly from the wind, and the rain was flooding most of them.

We got to the airport, and though the planes weren't very interesting, the show from the lightning was a sight to see. It was the only time I've ever seen lighning streak from one horizon to the opposite while branching out over the whole sky.

Speaking of natural phenomena, I know it's not ANCIENT history, but no one seems to mention the January 1986 earthquake we had in Cleveland.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 PM

And I just thought of 2 minor personalities who would be known only to fellow Clevelanders---Petrushka the Egg Lady, who made Russian-style Easter Eggs.

And Mister Brisket---Sanford Herskowitz, a butcher who specialized in ready-cooked brisket and other kosher meats.

They would occasionally appear on local talk shows like Morning Exchange.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:17 PM

102 posts, read 198,723 times
Its greater Cleveland but does anyone remember the Sheep Lady on Euclid Avenue in Willoughby or maybe it was Wickliffe?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euclidbuck View Post
Its greater Cleveland but does anyone remember the Sheep Lady on Euclid Avenue in Willoughby or maybe it was Wickliffe?
I sure DO! I remember riding a bike past her house and seeing the sheep all over her lawn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland