Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 16,008 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, my partner and I will be moving in December to Cleveland(I know, in the middle of Winter..) from Louisiana, and was wondering if anyone could help me of which areas are good to move to. I am really new to this since I've never moved. We are a gay couple in our early 30's and like museums, restaurants, and ofcourse the nightlife. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,235 times
Sounds like University Circle or Shaker Square for you.

Also, try this site www.urbanohio.com/forum2

Old 08-14-2009, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 16,008 times
Thank u so much

Old 08-14-2009, 09:29 PM

436 posts, read 873,963 times
Be prepared for lots of snow and gust of cold cold wind in December.

They had a gay parade one or two months ago, but other than this, I don't see any gay couple at all. So, the environment may be quite different from french quarter.

lots of museums and ball clubs.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:31 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
Be prepared for lots of snow and gust of cold cold wind in December.

They had a gay parade one or two months ago, but other than this, I don't see any gay couple at all. So, the environment may be quite different from french quarter.

lots of museums and ball clubs.
Like all cities, certain areas have a higher concentration of groups that other areas. Much like New Orleans, which is mostly *not* like the french quarter.

Lakewood seems to be the first on the list for gay friendly areas.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:30 AM

48 posts, read 219,137 times
Downtown would be my first choice, especially around East 4th or West 6th if you want to be in the hub of nightlife (though it's definitely no French Quarter, there are plenty of fine restaurants and clubs downtown). If you don't see yourself as a downtown dweller, then:

Lakewood and Clifton/Edgewater are known for being gay-friendly, and they are close to the lakefront state park/beach. There is a mix of housing options, with highrises overlooking the lake, old Tudor apartments, tons of duplexes, and grand mansions along the shoreline. Ohio City is nearer to downtown and has great Victorian houses as well as contemporary condos, close to bars and the West Side Market. Tremont is south of downtown and has great restaurants/bars, a nice park, and is pet-friendly too. The east side is home to the museums, in University Circle. Up the hill in Cleveland Heights, there are great old apartments and houses in the areas of Coventry Rd and Cedar/Fairmount.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:24 PM

49 posts, read 170,461 times
I would avoid University Circle. Just not that safe and not that interesting. Other than a few museums, it's pretty boring and traffic is a nightmare.

Cleveland Heights has nightlife, bars, restaurants, shopping, slightly high taxes, and is a pretty short jump to downtown. It's probably the most urban feeling of the eastern suburbs, if that makes sense. Lots of university/grad students and young professionals.

I hear good things about Lakewood and see many diverse couples in the grocery stores there, which bodes well for tolerance. There is a good nightlife there as well. There's also tremont/ohio city, which has some of the city's best restaurants and bars, and feels pretty urban.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:04 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,090 times
I think Cleveland Heights would be a great choice!

You have a thumbs down next to your thread title, are you not excited about Cleveland or moving? Cleveland is a cool place, just make sure you are prepared for snow.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
Ohio City, Tremont, and Detroit-Shoreway are some interesting neighborhoods that are gentrifying, and I know the gay community has played a large part in bringing around these areas. I think they have some of the more interesting bars and restaurants in Cleveland, although they are still rough around the edges and still have a ways to go. This not bother you if you are used to inner city New Orleans.

Lakewood and the adjacent Edgewater neighborhood are also excellant as well as some sections of Cleveland Heights.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:04 AM

60 posts, read 152,815 times
Downtown for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland