Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,134 times

Advertisements

I am a student at The University of Akron.
I am taking a Historical Methods class and I am doing research on Sundown Towns. Parma, Ohio has been classified as a Sundown Town.
I am looking for information to either support or disprove this notion that Parma was a Sundown Town.
I am looking for people with first account knowledge or information that will lead me to some documents...basically any information good information.
Any help would be appreciated. I would like to thank-you all in advance for your help.
For those that aren't sure, a sundown town is a town that didn't allow African Americans (minorities) to move into their town and it was encouraged that the sun not set on an African American in that town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:17 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
when white flight happened in cleveland, parma was a major destination for many reasons... alot of kids parents preached to us that the blacks ruined the old nieghborhoods and they didnt want blacks in their new parma nieghborhoods.. yes many people are against blacks moving in to this day based on current friends and homeowners comments.. parma now is probably metro clevelands largest white eastern european,ukrainian,polish,etc..section of town. not many blacks to this day OHIO RULING BUOYS HOUSING BIAS FOES - New York Times for what-ever reason you choose. blacks are 1.06% of parmas total population of 83,566... whites are 95.6%....some interesting facts in the following links. Parma, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Suburb Runs Ads for Minorities, but Few Respond - The New York Times. hope this puts you on the white,, i mean right, trail.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:35 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
when white flight happened in cleveland, parma was a major destination for many reasons... alot of kids parents preached to us that the blacks ruined the old nieghborhoods and they didnt want blacks in their new parma nieghborhoods.. yes many people are against blacks moving in to this day based on current friends and homeowners comments.. parma now is probably metro clevelands largest white eastern european,ukrainian,polish,etc..section of town. not many blacks to this day OHIO RULING BUOYS HOUSING BIAS FOES - New York Times for what-ever reason you choose. blacks are 1.06% of parmas total population of 83,566... whites are 95.6%....some interesting facts in the following links. Parma, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Suburb Runs Ads for Minorities, but Few Respond - The New York Times. hope this puts you on the white,, i mean right, trail.

The last census was done over 9 years ago. Parma is waaaay blacker than 1.06% now. I would say 10-15% now on the low end. Higher if you include mulatto children who don't report race, or report many races or identify themselves as white.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:03 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
The last census was done over 9 years ago. Parma is waaaay blacker than 1.06% now. I would say 10-15% now on the low end. Higher if you include mulatto children who don't report race, or report many races or identify themselves as white.
Your comment comes across as a bit prejudiced. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that that is not the case. The term "mulatto" however is considered offensive by many people. "Bi-racial" or Mixed-race" are more accurate and appropriate terms.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Your comment comes across as a bit prejudiced. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that that is not the case. The term "mulatto" however is considered offensive by many people. "Bi-racial" or Mixed-race" are more accurate and appropriate terms.
Don't really care, sorry.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:19 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,430 times
Last time I was in Parma I was the minority..and Im white. Tons of blacks there. o

Old 09-05-2009, 06:00 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
todd, you dont have a clue. maybe you forgot to take off your dark sun-glasses and the "tons of blacks" were really white people.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:11 PM

433 posts, read 875,692 times
I was in Parma Town Mall and the manager in a store told me and my buddy to go back to "hood" where we belong. That was rude and very unprofessional. Then again, it is Parma.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:19 PM

302 posts, read 1,100,853 times
You go to Parmatown Mall and you could be forgiven for thinking your in Cleveland, but the city its self is still white. Anyone who says otherwise is probably basing their decision off of the mall, where people come to from all the southern cuyahoga area.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:19 PM

433 posts, read 875,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsurfer05 View Post
You go to Parmatown Mall and you could be forgiven for thinking your in Cleveland, but the city its self is still white. Anyone who says otherwise is probably basing their decision off of the mall, where people come to from all the southern cuyahoga area.
Not sure if I follow you but I'm black and was refering to a white manager who told me to leave. I am very aware that Parma is very "white".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland