U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:06 PM

2,369 posts, read 4,133,608 times
Default 2007 Cleveland Homicides

This year in Cleveland there has been 38 Homicides the 38th one happened this morning.That is more Homicides than Cleveland had last year at this time so if things keep going the way they are Cleveland will have bettween 125-140 Homicides and for a city of Clevelands size that is pretty bad.Any comments on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 04:47 PM

1,121 posts, read 2,124,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
This year in Cleveland there has been 38 Homicides the 38th one happened this morning.That is more Homicides than Cleveland had last year at this time so if things keep going the way they are Cleveland will have bettween 125-140 Homicides and for a city of Clevelands size that is pretty bad.Any comments on this?
No different in Charlotte NC, where I moved to. Only they kill cops too
Almost a murder everyday, I think yesterday was the 1st time this week there wasn't one.

15th largest city in the USA but 8th for crime...that tells me there are 7 other cities bigger than charlotte that have LESS crime.

It's all over the big cities, it's society itself.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:56 PM

332 posts, read 1,637,376 times
Yeah I think its a subset of the overall society. One thing to be said though is that these crimes are almost always either drug related or caused by people who know each other. The CPD needs to speed up their sweeps to get more of these drug dealers off the street. I would couple that with having school guidance counselors and others in the community to emphasize more strongly how important education is and how kids can better them selves by focusing on school. That may keep more kids from thinking the only way to get out of "the hood" is by becoming a pro athlete or drug dealer.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:13 PM

Mrs. P it actually is different.Go to www.CrimeInCharlotte.com (broken link) and you will see that Charlotte has 23 murders.Cleveland is a smaller city and it already has 38 murders.15 murders is a big disparity considering the fact that Charlotte has over 100,000 more people than Cleveland.I am also positive that Cleveland is probably worse for crime than Charlotte.And another stat is that last year Charlotte had 83 Homicides while last year also Cleveland had 120.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:57 AM

1,121 posts, read 2,124,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Mrs. P it actually is different.Go to www.CrimeInCharlotte.com (broken link) and you will see that Charlotte has 23 murders.Cleveland is a smaller city and it already has 38 murders.15 murders is a big disparity considering the fact that Charlotte has over 100,000 more people than Cleveland.I am also positive that Cleveland is probably worse for crime than Charlotte.And another stat is that last year Charlotte had 83 Homicides while last year also Cleveland had 120.
I don't believe that website is udpated correctly, unless the news channels here are all wrong? There's over 30 murders in this area. But again, maybe the news channels are wrong? Like I said there were just 3 murders this very week. My friend from Miami FL and I were keeping count at the beginning of the year, and I lost count by February, so I'm darn sure it's over "23"

Cleveland is higher on the scale for crime. I think they were around 5th in the USA for the figures in 2006 released by the FBI. When these figures were presented to the chief of police and sheriff both in the Charlotte area,
they both denied Charlotte had a problem, and questioned the figures.
If you have that kind of mentality in admitting you have a problem, then it's not going to get addressed.

And see your figure at 83 murders, last year? I concur for Charlotte, but yet if you ask people there? they say only 70.

I'm wondering, if you know how many "gangs" have been indentified in Cleveland? I've never heard that stat.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 9,851 times
i fell dat alot of them are from the eastside

projects 50 gang E.30th area under 2000 gangs

cleveland is abigger city in size there both equal

columbus,oh is 15 largest cleveland has a higher crime rate

Last edited by Yac; 08-17-2007 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,457,788 times
Cleveland now has over 80 murders and we still have 1/3 of the year to go, this is bad to see because just 3 years ago Cleveland only had 78 murders for the whole year. So if the current murder rate is the same for the rest of the year Cleveland should have over 120 murders, lets hope it doesnt go that high.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Cleveland now has over 80 murders and we still have 1/3 of the year to go, this is bad to see because just 3 years ago Cleveland only had 78 murders for the whole year. So if the current murder rate is the same for the rest of the year Cleveland should have over 120 murders, lets hope it doesnt go that high.
Actually,I've heard the total could be as much as 140 if current trends continue.It would probably be the highest murder rate in Cleveland's history,but thats only if the trend this year continues.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:21 PM

492 posts, read 1,545,771 times
I wonder why there is an increase in homicides in Cleveland over the past couple years... Any ideas?

Old 08-23-2007, 11:36 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,457,788 times
The increase in Cleveland homicides is bad, but in Cincinnati the increase is a lot worse. After the riots in Cincinnati in 2001 the homicides went way up from 15 in 2000 to 55 in 2001. The poverty rate in Cleveland has gone up and the public schools still arent good. I dont know the exact reason there has been more murders, but Cleveland was never considered a safe city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland