Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,249 times

Advertisements

Hello All - i am currently living in Pittsburgh and have a job offer to come to Cleveland so I am looking for a little help, if you can provide it.

I am from England and have been living in the Southside of Pittsburgh for a couple of years now, and am hoping to find similar nightlife/amenities/entertainment. Southside has tons of bars and restaurants and some clubs (dj and live music) and is pretty close to eveywhere you may want to go...are there any reasonably priced areas of Cleveland that have similar options to this?
I would be working in Independance, so I don't mind commuting but when not working I am looking for bars/restaurants and things to do. I'd like something pretty safe, but not too safe if you know what I mean - no picket fences!

Any ideas is much appreciated. Oh yeah, and within reasonsable distances to golf courses would be an added treat!

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,249 times
Hello and welcome.

For decent nightlife and proximity to golf courses I would recommend living somewhere between Little Italy, Coventry Village and Cedar fairmount.

East fourth is the center for nightlife in Cleveland, but lofts and apartments can get pretty high. Also check out East fourth street downtown and Ohio city and the Detroit-Shoreway area. Lakewood also has good nightlife. You can see pix of these areas on the site urbanohio.com and there is also a forum where I also encourage you to ask your questions as that forum is a bit busier than here on the Ohio side of things. Hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:49 PM

302 posts, read 1,101,231 times
For Nightlife you can check out Lakewood, and the Warehouse District in Cleveland. If you're working in Independence, I'd live anywhere on the South West Side of Cleveland. Depending on what kind of house you're looking for, each city can differ. Typically the outer Suburbs are rich and snobbish. The closer to Cleveland, the more Blue Collar you get. If you want some action in your own town and also be close to Cleveland then live in Lakewood. The majority of the other cities are pretty boring

Old 05-10-2007, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 8,249 times
thanks guys, I appreciate the information.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 13,288 times
Default Great Move

Cleveland has a lot more opportunity than Pittsburgh. If you don't mind a 25 minute commute you should look into Fairlawn, OH or westisde of Akron. There is a lot to do in these areas (Bars, restaurants, shopping) plus the cost of living is much cheaper than Cuyahoga County

Old 05-21-2007, 11:02 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
Cleveland has a lot more opportunity than Pittsburgh
As with everywhere, it depends on the field. Overall, the are both cities that create jobs at a slower rate than the national average, though the last time I looked, overall, Pittsburgh was doing a little better.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:40 AM
amc

2 posts, read 11,624 times
Default Definitely Try Lakewood

Lakewood is the greatest. There's lots to do, access to the lake, metroparks, bars, restaurants and unique shopping areas. It's also very easy to get around when you live in Lakewood. All the area highways are easily accessible from Lakewood, includig I-90, I-71, I-480, I-77, I-176 and Route 2. Whatever you do, don't move to the east side, especially the near east side. I just moved from Lakewood to University Heights a few months ago, and it's the worst decision I've ever made. It's impossible to get around, there's no lake or metroparks access and the people, in my opinion, aren't as friendly.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 PM

61 posts, read 234,373 times
Pittsburgh is sooooo not doing any better than cleveland ohio...We are struggling here with jobs,housing,crime,high taxes,abandon houses and neigborhoods...Cleveland is far much better place to live and work than pittsburgh

Old 07-30-2008, 02:35 PM

33 posts, read 123,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHISPERGIRL View Post
Pittsburgh is sooooo not doing any better than cleveland ohio...We are struggling here with jobs,housing,crime,high taxes,abandon houses and neigborhoods...Cleveland is far much better place to live and work than pittsburgh
This is a joke right?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 AM

256 posts, read 736,402 times
I lived in both places. I grew up in Cleveland and lived in Pittsburgh in the eary 90's for 3 years. Unless things have changed, IMHO, you are soooo lucky to get out of Pittsburgh and be moving to Cleveland. Cleveland in many ways is a better place to live. And as bad as Cleveland is now, that is saying alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland