Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:52 PM

8,288 posts, read 23,096,556 times

Advertisements

So sitting over here in Milwaukee I heard people refer to Cleveland as The Mistake By the Lake. I did a little research and came up with, reference to the sports teams, the browns, and the city itself. I also hear it smells really bad any truth to this?

any ideas or info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 01:08 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,310 times
Smells really bad? LOL... probably about as bad as Milwaukee would due to the lake. It's pretty much a term that has no actual bearing on the people who live there. Some of the best areas in the nation through my travels are in Cleveland.

It's easily one of the more historic cities in the nation and the culture is easily top 10 in the nation. I've been to a lot of cities, and I can name easily 20-30 areas that are ACTUALLY horrible, boring, and dirty... Cleveland is NOT one of them.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:09 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,358 times
Used to smell bad because of the steel mills, but that has been gone for 10+ years. It really started after the Cuyahoga River caught on fire, and Lake Erie was almost declared dead. That was a long time ago however, as most of the industrial jobs are gone, and Cleveand's economy is mostly based on health care and LeBron James now.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:12 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,310 times

YouTube - Cleveland, Ohio Aerial Footage

Cleveland rocks - The Sun Chronicle Online - Features
36 Hours - Cleveland - NYTimes.com

There have been a LOT of articles praising Cleveland lately.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:13 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
I haven't heard that in a long time.
I prefer "the best location in the nation".

Old 10-23-2009, 04:44 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So sitting over here in Milwaukee I heard people refer to Cleveland as The Mistake By the Lake. I did a little research and came up with, reference to the sports teams, the browns, and the city itself. I also hear it smells really bad any truth to this?

any ideas or info?
Cleveland is like any other city; there are good things and bad things. No perfect place. I was born and raised in Cleveland. No, it does "not" stink. Certain parts of the area (south side as it is referred to) had steel mills yearsssssssss ago and they put out an odor. Now if you want to smell something really bad. Go to New Jersey. I had never been there and we went through there last year. The smell at first was almost unbearable..it has to do with it being built upon garbage dumps. Not meaning to offend you, but I'd take Cleveland over Milwaukee anyday with the things I've heard about Milwaukee.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 PM

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with C-town I just kept hearing this term used and never understood what they meant.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:14 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,263 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong I have no problem with C-town I just kept hearing this term used and never understood what they meant.
Most of the time when I hear it used nowadays, it's coming from fans of sports teams, mostly our rivals. It's just a derogatory term that really has little applicable meaning these days.

As for Cleveland smelling bad, I'm sure it did at one time, but it was probably no worse than any other industrial Midwest city, like Pittsburgh, Detroit, Buffalo, or even Milwaukee.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:20 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
Quote:

There's also another term that I have heard: "Cleveland is fly-over country." I quess every city/town has some negative sayings.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
There's also another term that I have heard: "Cleveland is fly-over country." I quess every city/town has some negative sayings.
I have heard that term applied to the whole Midwest from coastal elite's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland