Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:24 PM

195 posts, read 668,798 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Shaker Heights, and moved here because I was told the schools were the best. To say the least, it was a big let down. My daughter is miles ahead of all her fellow students, and we are having to supplement her education at home in order to keep her interested in school. They bus in kids from extremely bad neighborhoods in Cleveland, and don't seem to hold them to any standard. Those neighborhoods you described are closer to the ghetto than I am, so I'm sure these problems will be amplified for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 12:37 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
I currently live in Shaker Heights, and moved here because I was told the schools were the best. To say the least, it was a big let down. My daughter is miles ahead of all her fellow students, and we are having to supplement her education at home in order to keep her interested in school. They bus in kids from extremely bad neighborhoods in Cleveland, and don't seem to hold them to any standard. Those neighborhoods you described are closer to the ghetto than I am, so I'm sure these problems will be amplified for you.
I don't think that's really true. There is a tiny strip of Cleveland that is part of the Shaker Heights City School District, and that area, which includes Shaker Square, isn't that bad.

At the elementary school age, I don't know how gifted/advanced students are nurtured. Have you spoken with your child's teacher/principal?

Now, if/when your child moves on to Shaker Heights Middle School and Shaker Heights High School, and he/she starts being involved in separate programs for those types of students, I can tell you that without a doubt the gifted/honors programs in SH are as good as any in the Cleveland area and perhaps the entire state.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:43 PM

155 posts, read 459,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I don't think that's really true. There is a tiny strip of Cleveland that is part of the Shaker Heights City School District, and that area, which includes Shaker Square, isn't that bad.

At the elementary school age, I don't know how gifted/advanced students are nurtured. Have you spoken with your child's teacher/principal?

Now, if/when your child moves on to Shaker Heights Middle School and Shaker Heights High School, and he/she starts being involved in separate programs for those types of students, I can tell you that without a doubt the gifted/honors programs in SH are as good as any in the Cleveland area and perhaps the entire state.
In elementary SH has an advanced track for Math and English (ERP). It starts in 2nd grade. In 5/6 they call it ELA. And so on. If your child is that brilliant, maybe she should skip a grade? I know of one kid who was quite gifted that skipped ahead. Good luck.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:40 PM

195 posts, read 668,798 times
I have spoken to her teacher and principle and they told me that there is the ERP. However, it is only offered to 2nd graders if they have room for them, which they rarely do, I've been told. Also, the demographics of the school are way off from the neighborhood/zone. If they are not busing in children from other neighborhoods, where are they coming from? The area I live in is 90% white, the school is 75% black? Not to be racist, but that doesn't add up. The homes in Shaker are beautiful and the public transit is very nice, but if you want to drive anywhere such as down town, it is not very convenient. Overall, I like the city but dis-like the public schools here.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:17 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
I have spoken to her teacher and principle and they told me that there is the ERP. However, it is only offered to 2nd graders if they have room for them, which they rarely do, I've been told. Also, the demographics of the school are way off from the neighborhood/zone. If they are not busing in children from other neighborhoods, where are they coming from? The area I live in is 90% white, the school is 75% black? Not to be racist, but that doesn't add up. The homes in Shaker are beautiful and the public transit is very nice, but if you want to drive anywhere such as down town, it is not very convenient. Overall, I like the city but dis-like the public schools here.
If we're talking about Lomond, the issue is probably that most of the people that live in the neighborhood either don't have kids and have kids in private schools. I can't see the map right now because my computer isn't being cooperative, but my guess is that due to its location, Lomond is also zoned to receive students from most of South/Southwestern portions of the city, parts of which are heavily African-American. Not sure if it matters to you, but I'm betting most of those kids really do live in Shaker Heights.

As for the honors programs, I still don't understand why they're not enrolling your child, but my guess is that it becomes more inclusive and easier the longer they're in the system and they move up in grade. Perhaps Andy can expand since he probably knows more than I do.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 AM

You test into the ERP program. You don't get placed. If your child tested well, take it to the principal. Then take it to the superintendent. They'll make room. One thing I know about Shaker parents, they can get what they want if they ask (or demand). Do it.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 16,280 times
Default Shaker Heights neighborhoods

I am trying to figure out if 3200 Montgomery Rd falls in the Fernway or Onaway neighborhood? Which school disctrict is it in? Is it in a nice area of Shaker Heights for young kids?

What is the commute like to downtown from Shaker? What is traffic like on Shaker Blvd during rush hour?

Also, would you consider buying a home without air conditioning? How hot is the summer?

Last edited by brichmond; 02-02-2010 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichmond View Post
I am trying to figure out if 3200 Montgomery Rd falls in the Fernway or Onaway neighborhood? Which school disctrict is it in? Is it in a nice area of Shaker Heights for young kids?
Onaway
http://www.shaker.org/about/maps/attendance_Zone_Map.pdf (broken link)
Montgomery is a beautiful street. Many young families, not quite as many as the Fernway/Onaway due to the higher tax bracket needed to afford homes there.

Quote:
What is the commute like to downtown from Shaker? What is traffic like on Shaker Blvd during rush hour?
Give yourself 20-25 minutest to get downtown and park. Or you could use the Rapid Transit (commuter train), and it is about the same amount of time. The 'traffic' is never horrible in Shaker.

Quote:
Also, would you consider buying a home without air conditioning? How hot is the summer?
I did. Most of the homes in Shaker use steam/hot water heat as opposed to forced air (via duct) for heat. There are a handful of homes that use a 'unipak'(sp) which is basically a high velocity air handler mounted in the attic which send the A/C thru smaller diameter duct down thru the house. You will see a small (1-2") round hole in the ceiling which delivers A/C. This is much cheaper than trying to conver a house to forced air (which entails installing duct throughout the house (6"x8"). Ugly.
Is it needed? That depends on your needs. Typically we seem to get one or two short stetches (less than a week) of hot muggy 90F+. We just use some window air conditioners so we can sleep easier. Last summer I didnt even install them. If you go Unipak, the cost is about 2 x3 times a normal A/C system would cost in a forced air home.
Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions.
Onaway is a great school too.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 16,280 times
Thank you so much for the info!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:54 AM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
Shaker Heights is in decline. The schools, in particular, have gotten worse.

Shaker isn't really that "diverse" either. Shaker has blacks and whites, and basically nothing else.

It isn't really a black-white mix as much as a "transitioning" area, as African Americans move in and Whites move out.

Is Shaker still pretty nice? Yes, definitely. Especially outside of SW Shaker.

But is it relative decline from the past? Oh, yeah. Muggings aren't uncommon, and more than one-third of students receive free lunches. There's nothing wrong with poor kids, of course, but most folks with money would prefer to live somewhere like Pepper Pike where the schools are stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland