Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the "Crime" thread that lists every shooting in Cleveland be continued in 201
YES 11 61.11%
NO 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:31 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times

Advertisements

Let's see how everyone feels about it.

If there are a majority of YES votes, then I won't bring it up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
I voted no. In the grand scheme of things, I think focusing on negativity, while a genuinely Cleveland behavior, hurts the city and region in the long run.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:25 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Since this thread was made mainly for the poll can we discuss this in here?

How about we talk about the pros and cons of reporting the crimes and not reporting the crimes and our reasons for why we think it should be done or shouldn't be done.

The main argument that I've heard against it is that its giving Cleveland a bad impression for people who don't know about it and it might be worrying people who are planning on moving to the area. The other side of the argument is that it's free speech and people deserve the right to know what's going on.

I've personally made several crime threads for Cleveland and Ohio in general and made the last 2 year crime threads (after CTownNative made the first one in 2007 I believe). If you read the first post of the 2009 year one I give the reason why I made it, because I felt it was necessary and it was demanded by several people, there are also a lot of people who take part in the crime thread and contribute to it so I feel that it's definitely in demand since there's so many people participating.

Well anyways I'd like to hear both sides of the argument more.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:01 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
Keep it.

I genuinely like the idea of having up to date news about MY city without having to look on other sites. I come here to discuss CLEVELAND and crime is certainly a discussion in terms of any big city. The General US forums has multiple similar thread as well does other cities.

These stories are news. If the people do not read them on here, they will see them at other outlets.. so why does it really matter?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Keep it.

I genuinely like the idea of having up to date news about MY city without having to look on other sites. I come here to discuss CLEVELAND and crime is certainly a discussion in terms of any big city. The General US forums has multiple similar thread as well does other cities.

These stories are news. If the people do not read them on here, they will see them at other outlets.. so why does it really matter?
Just curious, but which other big cities have crime threads?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:49 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
That was my main point. Not one other city that I checked (and that is all the bigger ones and a few smaller ones) not one other city has anything even remotely similar. Proves to me that Clevelander really are a miserable unhappy bunch. hehehe

But the "Yes's" have spoken. I guess I was wrong. Figured there would be like 3 yes's and 20 no's....

Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That was my main point. Not one other city that I checked (and that is all the bigger ones and a few smaller ones) not one other city has anything even remotely similar. Proves to me that Clevelander really are a miserable unhappy bunch. hehehe

But the "Yes's" have spoken. I guess I was wrong. Figured there would be like 3 yes's and 20 no's....
I don't go to other cities forums that often (outside of Ohio) but I have seen several threads that are at least somewhat similar to that.

They constantly have "which city is the worst?" and crime threads in the general discussion. On another competing site, which I'm not a member of but have looked through, there is a thread that keeps track of all the cities murders and I'm sure there are others as well.

Before the thread was made people were making threads out of each major crime.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
I don't go to other cities forums that often (outside of Ohio) but I have seen several threads that are at least somewhat similar to that.

They constantly have "which city is the worst?" and crime threads in the general discussion. On another competing site, which I'm not a member of but have looked through, there is a thread that keeps track of all the cities murders and I'm sure there are others as well.

Before the thread was made people were making threads out of each major crime.
Well I'd much rather see one crime thread than a separate thread dedicated to each individual crime.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:46 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Just curious, but which other big cities have crime threads?
Multiple big cities have crime threads.. Do you know how I found this site? I was trying to find crime stats on cities and the forums came up.

Oh and Cleveland still has one of the safest metros:

Full List: America's Safest Cities - Forbes.com

Discussing crime is done virtually everywhere. I'm sorry, but we live in a violent world and once you embrace it, you will be more comfortable and not scared of people hating Cleveland because of ONE thread LOL.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Multiple big cities have crime threads.. Do you know how I found this site? I was trying to find crime stats on cities and the forums came up.

Oh and Cleveland still has one of the safest metros:

Full List: America's Safest Cities - Forbes.com

Discussing crime is done virtually everywhere. I'm sorry, but we live in a violent world and once you embrace it, you will be more comfortable and not scared of people hating Cleveland because of ONE thread LOL.
Awesome link. That's something I always suspected but never saw a ranking for. Glad someone finally put together a list that included entire metropolitan areas--the other lists that only mention the city proper are worthless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: