Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 05:20 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times

Advertisements

Finally a list that takes everything into consideration!

Full List: America's Safest Cities - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:51 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Sounds like good news, but it's sadly misleading.

I explained this in another thread. The most dangerous cities in the Cleveland metro (Cleveland, Lorain, East Cleveland, Elyria, several smaller eastside suburbs, etc) don't report their crimes correctly, if at all (East Cleveland doesn't). By this I mean that the crimes that are reported and collected by police, a lot of them are not counted in the stats they turn in to the FBI and other sources, the police find ways around not reporting a large amount of them.

For example, look at Clevelands city-data page, it's off by 45 murders. Look at Lorains, it's off by several murders and it says Lorains crime rate is below the national average (?) while there are much safer cities 1.5 times the national average, Lorain actually comes out to around 750 for the city-data crime index. Look at East Clevelands, they don't even have stats turned in for most years. Keep in mind I'm not even talking about the crimes that are not reported or collected by residents and police, just ones that the police choose not to enter.

Yes this happens to some degree in other cities and metros, but I've literally never seen another city or metro that is this poor and corrupt at reporting stats as Cleveland is.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
^^ Chicago might be close.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 AM

29 posts, read 64,638 times
I take everything that Forbes says w/ a grain of salt. Good or bad

Old 10-28-2009, 12:46 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I doubt any large city is very accurate with the stats.

Typical Clevelanders here, though. Get a little good news and just don't want to believe it.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
I totally agree, Peregrine.

It's as simple as this, you either know or you don't. If you leave the little 'burb sanctuary that you live in and actually explore the area, you would have already realized that it is not really dangerous. For you, this report confirms what you think. If you hole yourself up in fear in that same little 'burb sanctuary and listen to/watch news-tainment all day, you'll believe the opposite. Just ask yourself how it can be so safe where you live and a literal warzone less than 2 miles away? The answer to that question is simple: You don't live in utopia and "they" don't live in Rwanda. Even in the worst areas of town, 95% of the people are decent, hard-working people just trying to live their lives. THAT is why it is safe where you live.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:32 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
^^ Chicago might be close.
Good call on Chicago and they're metro, but I find for the most part they just don't allow they're stats to be used in things like this.

That and they usually release their stats later because if you check on city-data most of their stats are correct for the city and metro area. Detroit and Atlanta have both done it as well and people have came out publicly but I've still yet to come across a city or metro as corrupt as Cleveland for reporting crime stats.

By the way, I know I seem negative and as if I'm bashing, but if this list was correct I wouldn't have said that stuff.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 AM

217 posts, read 692,622 times
^^^ i mean hell they have detroit metro area at like number 11 or 13, and we all know that the most dangerous city in the country....

Old 10-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir_Abdul View Post
^^^ i mean hell they have detroit metro area at like number 11 or 13, and we all know that the most dangerous city in the country....
Yes, but are your familiar with their suburbs, such as those in Warren County? Some of the nicest (and wealthiest) in the country. And they're part of Metropolitan Detroit.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Sounds like good news, but it's sadly misleading.

I explained this in another thread. The most dangerous cities in the Cleveland metro (Cleveland, Lorain, East Cleveland, Elyria, several smaller eastside suburbs, etc) don't report their crimes correctly, if at all (East Cleveland doesn't). By this I mean that the crimes that are reported and collected by police, a lot of them are not counted in the stats they turn in to the FBI and other sources, the police find ways around not reporting a large amount of them.

For example, look at Clevelands city-data page, it's off by 45 murders. Look at Lorains, it's off by several murders and it says Lorains crime rate is below the national average (?) while there are much safer cities 1.5 times the national average, Lorain actually comes out to around 750 for the city-data crime index. Look at East Clevelands, they don't even have stats turned in for most years. Keep in mind I'm not even talking about the crimes that are not reported or collected by residents and police, just ones that the police choose not to enter.

Yes this happens to some degree in other cities and metros, but I've literally never seen another city or metro that is this poor and corrupt at reporting stats as Cleveland is.
I'm sorry, but I have a very hard time believing that this is only an issue in Greater Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: