Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 AM

338 posts, read 559,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
There is no question that NE OH has enormous amount of cloudy days during the winter. The first month I lived in NC I noticed right away how many more mostly sunny days than my days in CLE. Just like the last few days (and for that matter all winter) NC has been atleast 10 degrees under average temp but clear skies most of this week. I knew a couple people in CLE that had special lighting at their office desk because of light deprivation that caused depression. My doctor (in NC) has me taking vitamin D because we don't get enough vitamin D from the sun, make sure you are getting your needed requirement up north...could be reason people are real b*astard..
60 sunny days a year. Its God's punishment. Newcomers to NE Ohio do not fully realize the impact of the Cleveland gray skies until they have lived here for a couple of years. It bloody sucks, irrespective of the positives of the area like employment in health related areas.

So homebuyers should RENT for a couple of years before deciding to subjecting themselves and their family through the years of an environment fertile for depression.

I wonder how lack of vitamin D and the resulting lower absorption of Calcium impacts bones over a long term?

Last edited by deskjockey; 02-26-2010 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 AM

44 posts, read 115,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Well you are comparing the worst months in Cleveland (Jan., Feb.) for clouds and cold if you have been looking at the last two months. So what do you expect? Cleveland's forecast would probably be more desirable than S. Carolina's from May to Oct.
Not really. I am comparing Greenville SC to Cleveland. Greenville has twice the number of sunny days compared to Cleveland. Cleveland barely beats Seattle. Some web sites say Seattle has more. World Facts and Figures - Weather Facts and Statistics)
Cleveland can have an awesome summer but thats about it and if it is a rainy summer you have to wait a whole year before summer activities can begin again. If you have a rainy summer in SC there is always spring or fall (either of which is equivalent to our, one time chance, at summer). My brother in law came here for a wedding. He lives in California. We had one of those summer weeks with the humidity in the 90's and the temp in the 80's. He said it was the most misserable he had ever been and he refuses to ever visit again. He said that he was sweating the second he stepped out of the shower. Unfortunately...that is his perception of Cleveland.

I am pretty sure that the only months anyone would say Cleveland has better weather than Greenville might be June, July and August. Maybe 3 out of 12 months. Ever watch the Masters golf tournament? Its early April and they are walking around in short sleeve shirts. We might not do that until June. I like this area but February in Cleveland is misserable...period!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:07 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrogg View Post
Not really. I am comparing Greenville SC to Cleveland. Greenville has twice the number of sunny days compared to Cleveland. Cleveland barely beats Seattle. Some web sites say Seattle has more. World Facts and Figures - Weather Facts and Statistics)
Cleveland can have an awesome summer but thats about it and if it is a rainy summer you have to wait a whole year before summer activities can begin again. If you have a rainy summer in SC there is always spring or fall (either of which is equivalent to our, one time chance, at summer). My brother in law came here for a wedding. He lives in California. We had one of those summer weeks with the humidity in the 90's and the temp in the 80's. He said it was the most misserable he had ever been and he refuses to ever visit again. He said that he was sweating the second he stepped out of the shower. Unfortunately...that is his perception of Cleveland.

I am pretty sure that the only months anyone would say Cleveland has better weather than Greenville might be June, July and August. Maybe 3 out of 12 months. Ever watch the Masters golf tournament? Its early April and they are walking around in short sleeve shirts. We might not do that until June. I like this area but February in Cleveland is misserable...period!
Fair enough. Everyone has their preferences. I personally think Cleveland's weather is ideal from May - Oct (I like Fall weather in the north). I used to live in San Diego, but the climate alone did not keep me there. I now live in Chicago, which has about the same weather as Cleveland. There are a lot of factors when deciding where to live, and weather is just one of them. I can also tell you that many Californians are babies about weather. Anything other than the ideal climate they are used to will get them complaining.

I would like to point out that the number of sunny days on your list is basically a list of completly sunny "clear" days, so if there is cloud cover mixed in with sun it does not get counted as a sunny day, even if for all practical purposes it is. Cleveland has an additional 97 such days. According to this data Greenville has 145 cloudy days compared to Cleveland's 202. I imagine that most of the 57 day difference is largely from Nov - April. I do agree the Cleveland weather is straight up miserable in Feb though LOL.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 AM

44 posts, read 115,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Fair enough. Everyone has their preferences. I personally think Cleveland's weather is ideal from May - Oct (I like Fall weather in the north). I used to live in San Diego, but the climate alone did not keep me there. I now live in Chicago, which has about the same weather as Cleveland. There are a lot of factors when deciding where to live, and weather is just one of them. I can also tell you that many Californians are babies about weather. Anything other than the ideal climate they are used to will get them complaining.

I would like to point out that the number of sunny days on your list is basically a list of completly sunny "clear" days, so if there is cloud cover mixed in with sun it does not get counted as a sunny day, even if for all practical purposes it is. Cleveland has an additional 97 such days. According to this data Greenville has 145 cloudy days compared to Cleveland's 202. I imagine that most of the 57 day difference is largely from Nov - April. I do agree the Cleveland weather is straight up miserable in Feb though LOL.
Yes. My brother in law just does not want to visit and is using it as an excuse. Maybe it is because of me??? Nah!

Excellent data chart. Thanks.

For 12 years we had an annual Memorial day cookout. The weather was completely unpredictable. One year it was in the 40's and the next it was in the upper 80's. People bundled up under blankets or stood by the fans...either way they still had a beer in their hand and enjoyed every minute. We finally changed it to the 4th of July because 60-70 people really need to play outside. I just feel May and Oct are iffy.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:48 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,275,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
60 sunny days a year. Its God's punishment. Newcomers to NE Ohio do not fully realize the impact of the Cleveland gray skies until they have lived here for a couple of years. It bloody sucks, irrespective of the positives of the area like employment in health related areas.

So homebuyers should RENT for a couple of years before deciding to subjecting themselves and their family through the years of an environment fertile for depression.

I wonder how lack of vitamin D and the resulting lower absorption of Calcium impacts bones over a long term?

S.A.D. is a real mental illness. Unfortunately, far too many people have co-opted it and diagnosed themselves with it so they can feel better about their problems which have very little to do with the environment.

Also, we get well over 60 sunny days a year.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
There is no question that NE OH has enormous amount of cloudy days during the winter. The first month I lived in NC I noticed right away how many more mostly sunny days than my days in CLE. Just like the last few days (and for that matter all winter) NC has been atleast 10 degrees under average temp but clear skies most of this week. I knew a couple people in CLE that had special lighting at their office desk because of light deprivation that caused depression. My doctor (in NC) has me taking vitamin D because we don't get enough vitamin D from the sun, make sure you are getting your needed requirement up north...could be reason people are real b*astard..
The invention of AC did a lot for migration to the South. Everyone obviously has their own desires but I moved to NC for the weather, sunshine as this is important to me and it was best thing I ever did for me, family. Also allows me to enjoy my favorite pastime, tennis outdoors 10 mos/yr. Fortunately I do alot of business in NE OH so it gives me excuse to visit about every 4/5 weeks and utilize my Browns season tix and catch a Cavs/Tribe game on occasion. Cavs winning a title would go a long way in outsiders thinking more positive of the town, 45 years w/o a title is way to long...
What outsiders think is irrelevant to the Forbes poll. According the Forbes poll, it's the residents that are supposed to be miserable.

Curious, when trolling the Cleveland/Ohio boards, do you simply have them e-mail you anytime someone responds? Or do you just do it manually? If it's the latter, you sure do have a lot of time on your hands to be inside playing on the computer.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
What outsiders think is irrelevant to the Forbes poll. According the Forbes poll, it's the residents that are supposed to be miserable.

Curious, when trolling the Cleveland/Ohio boards, do you simply have them e-mail you anytime someone responds? Or do you just do it manually? If it's the latter, you sure do have a lot of time on your hands to be inside playing on the computer.
You a little sensitive, maybe a little miserable..? I spent over 40 yrs in Ohio, mostly Cleveland area so don't really consider to be an outsider, and visit fairly regularly...I think I'm pretty knowledgeable of the area thank you......

Old 02-26-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
You a little sensitive, maybe a little miserable..? I spent over 40 yrs in Ohio, mostly Cleveland area so don't really consider to be an outsider, and visit fairly regularly...I think I'm pretty knowledgeable of the area thank you......
That response took you 17 whole minutes. You're slipping, buddy...

Old 02-26-2010, 02:50 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,971,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post

You don't sound like you're a barrel of monkeys to be around in the summer, either.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:37 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,847 times
Quote:
Are you knowledgable of the fact that sunny states like Arizona and Florida have higher suicide rates than states like Ohio and Michigan?

http://www.suicidology.org/c/documen...e=DLFE-142.pdf

You can do your own research, but you will find that this list is pretty spot on. There is even a phenomenon called the "suicide belt" in the western states of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah,Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico, because that geographical belt of land has the highest per capita suicide rate in the nation. Since depression leads to suicide, if what people like you maintain causes depression, things like living in a climate such as that of Cleveland or northern Ohio in general, wouldn't the suicide rate in Ohio be much higher than that of a sunny, warm state like Arizona? It sounds cliche, but happiness really does come from within, not from where you live. You can CHOOSE to let gray skies and snow get you down, or you can CHOOSE to be happy in spite of it. Ultimately, it is up to you how happy you are, not where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland