Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,400 times

Advertisements

Hello I am Elena from Macedonia. I have some questions about studying in this university. Because i want to come in Ohio, Cleveland. I have contact university, but i want to hear the opinion of the people who live in Cleveland. Is this good university what is the opinion of this university in Cleveland? And how is the student life in Cleveland?

Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 12:42 AM

78 posts, read 325,317 times
Case is a wonderful school and is located in one of the best areas of Cleveland (University Circle). I would say that student life is very nice. Case is in University Circle which has a lot to do; is very close to Little Italy which has amazing food, some shopping, and great hangout spots; and up the hill is Coventry which has bars, restaurants, retail, etc and is very nice. Also, University Circle and Case are connected to downtown via the red (train) and silver (BRT) line. Downtown has a lot to offer in the entertainment area (clubs, restaurants, bars, theaters, etc) as well as some shopping options. Also, the red line connects with Ohio City, which is where the Westside Market is located. Overall, Cleveland is a great city that has a lot to offer. Hope this helped and good luck!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times
Case Western probably is the best University in the State of Ohio.

Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:05 AM

114 posts, read 305,673 times
While Case Western is a good school overall, you might want to reconsider the Law school. It's ranked 55th, well below OSU. I don't want to be a downer, but law is very competitive if you want to actually make a good living. Most salaries for lawyers starting out is around $60k/yr, which sounds good but please remember that law school is expensive and student loan payments brutal (when you start borrowing that much). Those $100k+/yr starting associate positions are usually for the graduates from the top 10 (maybe 20?) law schools. Yes, there are others who get them but they tend to be at the top of their respective schools, did an internship/externship with that particular firm, and have developed good contacts. Otherwise, you could be stuck with locum tenens work and doc review (which aren't necessarily bad, but I hear that's really boring and trying work).

I'm not trying to discourage you. Not at all. It just worries me that more and more students are piling on more and more student loans (at higher interest rates) for jobs that are just not there for them. If you're set on NPO/NGO, govt, etc, then by all means go for it. If you have a romanticized idea of what law is and think you'll be a partner in a big law firm by 2020, I'd seriously think about whether or not you want to go through with it. Whatever you do, make sure you have a plan after graduation and work on making that plan come true DURING school. Not after. Make contacts, network with people, etc...

My brother-in-law went to Harvard law, and actually IS a partner in a large national law firm (with clients like P&G, GM, etc), and yes, he's loaded $$$. I also have friends that went to other schools, who aren't doing as well but are happy nonetheless. One is in private practice general law and another is an immigration lawyer. I forget what my other lawyer friends do.

Good luck with your future plans! (Really!, I mean it!)

Old 03-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Thank you all for telling me your opinion. And you help me to now more about life in Cleveland, position of this university in the city and law management

If i come to Cleveland, Ohio that will be with scholarship because of that i don't think much about how much cost one school year. I want to now is this school good in Clevelands people eyes, what they think about this university. Is there good profesors and is there in Cleveland good big law firm.

P.S. ANd sorry for my gramatic mistakes

Old 03-11-2010, 09:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena89 View Post
Thank you all for telling me your opinion. And you help me to now more about life in Cleveland, position of this university in the city and law management

If i come to Cleveland, Ohio that will be with scholarship because of that i don't think much about how much cost one school year. I want to now is this school good in Clevelands people eyes, what they think about this university. Is there good profesors and is there in Cleveland good big law firm.

P.S. ANd sorry for my gramatic mistakes
Are there really scholarships to law school?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:38 PM

213 posts, read 697,929 times
Case is a great school for Science and Engineering related majors, but like another poster hinted at, rather mediocre for most other disciplines, not to mention extremely overpriced.

The best law school in Ohio is Ohio State, by a long shot, followed by Cincinnati and Case.

However, it is worth nothing that if you plan on staying in the Cleveland area, a Case degree will likely go a long way, as people in Northern Ohio for some reason think it is the equivilant of an Ivy League school.

"Are there really scholarships to law school?"

Yes it is possible to get scholarships to law schools, my undergrad buddy was offered a full ride at Case, but turned it down to attend U of M without receiving a nickel.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:46 PM

There is a lots of scholarships for law schools.

@Rumble You think that Case is not good in law like is good in Science and Engineering?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:57 AM

114 posts, read 305,673 times
On a national level, no Case is not a good law school when compared to science, medicine, and engineering. It's OK in a regional sense, although it's been stated a few times OSU is significantly better. However, it's definitely the best law school in Cleveland, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena89 View Post
There is a lots of scholarships for law schools.

@Rumble You think that Case is not good in law like is good in Science and Engineering?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:56 PM

13 posts, read 89,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthines View Post
On a national level, no Case is not a good law school when compared to science, medicine, and engineering. It's OK in a regional sense, although it's been stated a few times OSU is significantly better. However, it's definitely the best law school in Cleveland, though!
While I realize USNEWS rankings are useful as a rough tool, the notion that OSU is significantly (if at all) better than Case for law school is bunk. Case has a much wider geographic reach than OSU (10-15% make it to NY, 15-20% to DC/Sputh Atlantic, 5-10% West Coast), similar employment at graduation and at 9 months, similar/superior salary data at equivalent reporting percentages, and better placement in government and public interest. Case is actually by far the most national school of schools ranked lower than 50, and I think it gives Tulane a run for its money as the most national school outside of the T30.

Ive gotten full or very near full rides to some T20-T30 schools, but I'm still considering Case. For Ohio practice, OSU wins (except in Cleveland), but Case actually gives a graduating student a far more extensive alumni network and flexibility in mode of practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland