Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 12:09 PM

81 posts, read 453,947 times

Advertisements

We are looking for any information on CSU. We have seen the website and it is impressive. Would appreciate any other info on CSU and the surrounding areas. If she attends she will take the campus housing. Many thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
CSU is a solid and steadily improving university. As a graduate of the Fenn College of Engineering, I spent a lot of time there in the early to mid 90's. Back then, it was mostly a commuter school. Since then, it has rapidly become a more boarder-friendly school. CSU has many recent renovations and additions including a state-of-the-art gymnasium/workout facility and student center which is due to open this summer. There is also much new student housing with more being constructed.

The surrounding area is largely encompassed by the downtown business area. It's an area that has also seen much improvement over the last 5 years and is currently experiencing a fair amount of re-gentrification and an influx of young people from the suburbs. The CSU campus is also well policed and very safe. I know all of this because I visit the campus area often. Anyone who tells you differently does not.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:18 PM

81 posts, read 453,947 times
Thank you. My daughter is considering attending there and likes what she sees on their website.We are not in the U.S and of course cannot go by the website alone. Thank you so much. If there is anything else you or anyone else would like to add ( good or bad ), please do so. Much appreciated !

Old 03-21-2010, 08:30 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
The CSU campus is also well policed and very safe. I know all of this because I visit the campus area often. Anyone who tells you differently does not.
I definitely Agree. I took a couple summer classes at CSU and it's really safe. Had a good experience.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:10 AM

560 posts, read 1,714,692 times
I am not from Ohio and not to take anything away from Cleveland State, but Youngstown State might be worth looking at too. Youngstown the city is not great, but the suburbs are nice. It is also only about one hour to Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I was very pleasantly surprised with the campus and the course offerings... but of course it all depends on what you plan to study. I was a history major and felt that Youngstown State offered more of what I was interested in, plus the people seemed more helpful. Nothing against CSU at all, but several years ago I took a close look at both schools and thought that between the two, YSU was a better fit for me. YSU was also less expensive if memory serves.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:24 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
My very best friend graduated from Cleveland State 2 years ago and he enjoyed it very much. He really enjoyed the diversity of it, both racially and age wise. He is in his late 30's and was in many classes where there were 18-25 years olds as well as people older then him.
I assume this is true at many local State colleges but it is one of the things he particularly liked about CSU.
He also liked it because they had a stellar basketball team in 2007.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:15 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,105 times
Just drove by CSU's campus the other day. Wow! So much construction going on. Every corner of the campus had something new going up... literally.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Yep, it sure has changed a lot over the last 5 years. I last heard that the renovation invesment was in the neighborhood of $300 million.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:40 PM

302 posts, read 1,100,853 times
Its a decent place but getting better. I spent 2 years there,was on a sports team and enjoyed my time before i went to another place to finish up my two degrees. I've got my complaints about it but there positives as well. As was said before they're trying to make it into a normal university and not a commuter. The one thing i'd say is choose your degree carefully. As with any place some programs are sub par while others are good, same goes for the profs as well. For the most part all of mine were good except for two who were utterly horrible.

What degree is your daughter looking to get? What country do you live in? (if you don't mind me asking)

Old 05-01-2010, 06:19 PM

129 posts, read 346,355 times
I'm a grad student at CSU, and also got my undergrad degree here. I love Cleveland State for a number of reasons: affordability; many instructors and professors who have one foot in the professional world and one in academia, giving them real-world experience to add to their scholastic achievements; a diverse student body; and the best, having the campus in downtown Cleveland. There's a program called "The City is Your Campus," which gives free or discounted admission to museums and events around town, even Broadway shows at PlayhouseSquare. CSU also has the U-Pass program - for a $25 surcharge per semester, students get a 24/7 bus pass for the RTA, which will get you just about anywhere in the Greater Cleveland area.
I know a number of students in campus housing, and they all seem quite pleased with its cost and amenities. Cleveland State also has a vibrant International Student Center whose job is to smooth the way for non-Americans at CSU. George Burke, the head of the Center, is great! (Disclosure - I worked for that department one semester as an undergrad.)
If you or your daughter have any specific questions, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: