Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What NHL team do you support
Pittsburgh Penguins 10 16.67%
Colorado Avalanche(Lake Erie Monsters affiliate team) 2 3.33%
Columbus Blue Jackets 21 35.00%
Some other team(mention in your post what team it is) 14 23.33%
I dont care/watch the NHL 13 21.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2010, 04:31 AM

44 posts, read 163,931 times

Advertisements

Do you support the Pittsburgh Penguins?
How much do you hate Pittsburgh?
Do you think that Pittsburgh should support the Cavs and Gladiators(Arena Football) and Cleveland should support Penguins?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 09:36 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
What's the NHL?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:20 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
My guess would be the vast majority don't follow the NHL. Hockey generally has little fan interest outside of those who actually attend games. I saw some stats a few years ago that showed the NHL television viewership was very low, even in most cities with teams. NBA basketball had a much greater fan base.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:41 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,382 times
My in-laws in the Cleveland area support the Pens. I found this to be quite odd, but as my father in law explained it, "Detroit and Chicago hatreds run too deep, and Columbus is too new/no good/just as far away as Pittsburgh".

I think the NBA is a great fit for Cleveland, ditto the NHL in Pittsburgh. It's tough for a metro area that size to support both an NBA and NHL franchise.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:08 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,321,355 times
Penguins used to have their minor league affiliate in Cleveland.....

Old 04-05-2010, 06:00 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,043 times
We can be fair weather and support whatever teams we want! I cannot support the Pens as I hate everything Pittspuke, but they do seem to have somewhat of a following up here, but that is just do to them being hot right now. I am currently a Washington Capitals fan, because I love everything Ovechkin. The Columbus Blue Jackets never seem to have caught on in Cleveland.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
Most people I know don't care about the NHL. However, most of my hockey-playing friends are Penguins fans. Probably has to do with the Lumberjacks being the minor league affiliate in the 1990s, and the fact that the Pens were also pretty good during that time period.

I used to be a fan of the Red Wings until I realized how wrong it was for someone from Cleveland to root for a team from Detroit (feel the same about Penguins fans in Cleveland, too). I do think there are also a lot of Red Wings fans in Northeast Ohio, though. Even though I don't care much about the NHL now, I would consider myself a Blue Jackets fan.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Any winning team within a 300 mile radius. I'd say the Blue Jackets except that Columbus basketball fans didn't even have the Cavs on their radar during the Rik Smits/Reggie Miller era in Indianapolis. Fairweather basketball in Columbus = Fairweather hockey in Cleveland.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:30 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
It's ashame that hockey isn't big in Cleveland, because it is fun to watch. I enjoyed watching it in the olympics. My wife and I actually met at a Lumberjacks game back in the day, and went to several of their games when we were dating. Without there being a team here, it's hard to keep track of and for me to follow. Being a homer, if I had to choose, I guess I would say that I'd have to follow the Blue Jackets. I think that Cleveland is primarily a football town first and foremost despite the Browns continuous woes. No matter what time of year, people are always talking Browns on the sports talk shows. I'd have to say that the Cavs are a close second, because of their recent success and having Lebron. With that said they may win it all, but you can bet the talk will be, "so when are the Browns going to do it?" Hell, if the Cavs DON'T do it this year, we may just need to bring in a hockey team to break the sports curse here LOL!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:47 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,102 times
I kinda like the Penguins. I don't hate Pittsburgh at all. It's one of my favorite cities in the United States. Everyone who tells you they hate Pittsburgh is just saying that because that's what AM sports-talk radio tells them to say.

"Should" Pittsburgh support the Cavs? I don't know, who cares? If certain Pittsburghers want to watch the Cavs, good for them. If they don't, that's fine, too. No one should support the Gladiators. It's the summer, for Christ's sake. Go to an Indians game, work on your yard, go fishing, go on a boat ride...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland