U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 AM

7 posts, read 20,403 times

Advertisements

Good Morning...

My daughter will be graduating high school this year and has been accepted to Cuyahoga Community College in the fall. She'll be attending the East Campus in the Beachwood area for a year and then transferring to the West campus in Parma for the remaining years.

Our problem is that she needs to get an apartment. So that she doesn't have to move, we'd like to find something in between. Can anyone give me some safe areas to look that are somewhat in the middle of both those places?

Thanks so much!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 07:17 AM

12,598 posts, read 14,757,057 times
Is she opposed to moving after that first year?
I would suggest renting in Shaker Heights and then moving to Parma after that first year.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 AM

We're trying to find one place halfway between the two areas so that she doesn't have to move in a year. From looking at mapquest, halfway is about 20 minutes from each campus, which isn't too bad.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 AM

2,301 posts, read 3,774,737 times
rent an up or down unit in the state/480 area of parma in the tuxedo ave nieghborhood. tri-c west is not near freeways and this will be more in the middle regarding time. its cheap,safe and you can walk to stores,bars,churches,etc. another option would be the cleveland side of state/480. but only the first few streets north of 480, the streets/houses are more rundown as you go north. imo its worth the $25-$75 extra/month to be on the parma side.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 AM

3,844 posts, read 8,341,569 times
At first for commute, I'd say look at something along I-480, but the more I look, the more I don't see anything I'd recommend. If she want's to live in a desirable place, she may have to drive a little one of the ways.

Are you from Cleveland or familiar with it at all??

Right away, Coventry comes to mind. As if you want really safe, I'd look at Beechwood and the sourrounding area itself. The drive from Beachwood to Parma really isn't a bad one because of I-480.

She may even want to consider Little Italy or around CSU downtown -- I would consider both relatively safe, but not as safe as Beachwood or even Parma/Seven Hills.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 AM

sorry costello, but i dont see why you would suggest that state/480 is not a "desirable place". coventry,tremont,downtown are not that convienant during rush/school hrs. besides the op is asking for a half-way point. coventry and little italy are great but not even close to a half-way point. i bet you are an east-sider and if you are, im surprised you didnt mention shaker,cleveland hts,etc..

Old 05-04-2010, 10:02 AM

kerryann69, how much is budgeted for rent?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 AM

I'm about as familiar with Cleveland as I need to be to get downtown. That's about it. I mean I do know where some things are in the vicinity, but not all of the outlying suburbs. As for rent budgeting, I was hoping in the $500 range for either a 1 bedroom or studio. I know that leaves a lot of areas out such as Beachwood & Parma. According to mapquest, halfway seems to be in the Garfield Heights, Maple Heights, Bedford Heights area. Is this accurate?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:57 AM

12,804 posts, read 9,369,669 times
Your goal of not moving once is going to cost you more money over time than moving 1 time.
It is also going to cost you time. The "middle ground" ranges from "eh" to slightly scary when affordable.

The eastern campus is IN the snow belt.

The western campus is near the secondary snow belt and not on anything I would call a main road. My MIL works there.

Just move 1 dern time. 1 wreck in snow costs WAY more than moving 1 college kid once.

Beachwood /= Parma.

Beachwood = semi wealthy Jewish
Parma = unionized blue collar guys or youngish professionals before they can afford North Olmsted (or Berea) and North Olmsted is before they can afford Westlake or Avon.

Last edited by ottomobeale; 05-04-2010 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: er forgot the snowbelt.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Thanks ottomobeale...

But I have no idea what any of that means. Cleveland = snow. So you're saying she should live as close to east campus as possible and then when she transfers move as close to west campus as possible? If that's what you mean, then help with areas close to both campuses would be welcome. I have an apartment magazine and already see that living in parma is not within our means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or