U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,800,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
How about actually GOING to the school or a football game and seeing the crowd. There are a lot of people who falsely claim race, or just do not report it, it is optional. The stats might show something, but in actuality it is something else. Hang out at the food court at Parmatown mall, then tell me Parma is what you say.
Who in hell would falsely report as white? I could see falsely reporting as black, since they get favorable treatment from the government (like affirmative action).

Whatever. Parma is 65 percent white, even though the schools are 89 percent white and the Census estimate is 94 percent white. Whatever works in your world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:19 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,130,072 times
A lot of the white are old people who never leave there house. I read somewhere that 80% of people over 65 are white, while only half of the young population was white. It might be just a bunch of whiggers that seems to distort it for me, but Parma sure as hell doesn't seem 89% white. I think the hispanic numbers throw it off too. Non mulatto, non arabic, non hispanic white numbers have definitely got to be below 70%, at least among the young people.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:29 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,457,788 times
If there was that much of a difference in race between the age groups in Parma than the school district wouldn't be that close to the population as a whole. There are cities with large differences between the older and younger, but that'll usually show in the school district stats. About 4/10 Hispanics will put their race as "white" but they also check Hispanic/Latino, and Parma is only 3% that. Some cities that have large noticeable differences in the age groups are definitely Euclid and Lorain. Euclid is currently around 49% white, but it's school district is barely 20% white. Lorain is currently 55% White/Non Hispanic, but the school district is 30% white/non-hispanic.

In the westside suburbs there has been "gangster wannabes" for 20 years now, white and suburban youth who try to imitate their favorite rappers and people in the urban ghettos, as if they have anything in common with them. They doesn't make them a different race though, so I don't know where you're going with that. The suburbs most of them live in are about as far from "urban ghettos" as you can go, so they're laughable but not much else.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 06-09-2010 at 06:38 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 12:57 AM

53 posts, read 75,530 times
There are a lot of cities in Cleveland that are overwhelmingly "white" because of statistics. The white site communities come to mind more so than others. They are typically 95% or more white by statistics. But overall, arabics are in large numbers there. On top of that, old people are the majority. I think Rocky River is like 60% elderly, which are almost entirely all white. So from what you see in the schools and stuff is obviously going to be more diverse. More like 90% white... but take into account the arabics which are "white" by census standards, it's more like 80% white. But, it's not that diverse in all honesty. And I think Parma fits in there somewhere, I just don't know much about the city.

For instance, there are elementary schools in North Olmsted that are 5-10% black or even more, but the cities stats overall will be nothing close to that. It's hard to judge a book by it's cover, especially with stats. N.O. HS is exactly 90% white. At the same time, Butternut Elementary is 80% white, but it doesn't take into account Arabics, so the school is probably less than that.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:06 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,800,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
There are a lot of cities in Cleveland that are overwhelmingly "white" because of statistics. The white site communities come to mind more so than others. They are typically 95% or more white by statistics. But overall, arabics are in large numbers there. On top of that, old people are the majority. I think Rocky River is like 60% elderly, which are almost entirely all white. So from what you see in the schools and stuff is obviously going to be more diverse. More like 90% white... but take into account the arabics which are "white" by census standards, it's more like 80% white. But, it's not that diverse in all honesty. And I think Parma fits in there somewhere, I just don't know much about the city.

For instance, there are elementary schools in North Olmsted that are 5-10% black or even more, but the cities stats overall will be nothing close to that. It's hard to judge a book by it's cover, especially with stats. N.O. HS is exactly 90% white. At the same time, Butternut Elementary is 80% white, but it doesn't take into account Arabics, so the school is probably less than that.
"Elderly" as in "older than 65" (retirement age), make up 24.3 percent of the population in River, not 60. The 2000 Census is my source.

I'm losing patience with people just making stuff up on here.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:13 AM

5,450 posts, read 5,201,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
"Elderly" as in "older than 65" (retirement age), make up 24.3 percent of the population in River, not 60. The 2000 Census is my source.

I'm losing patience with people just making stuff up on here.
Totally agree. Especially when the VERY SITE WE ARE POSTING ON is full of EVERY STAT YOU CAN IMAGINE.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:28 AM

2,369 posts, read 4,133,608 times
Quote:

Butternut Elementary School, North Olmsted Ohio / OH School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
This is the North Olmsted school with the highest percentage of black students, and its only 9 out of 274, or 3 percent.

Pine School, North Olmsted Ohio / OH School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
this school has the highest number of black students in North Olmsted 10 out of 400, less than 3%. So I don't know where you are getting that North Olmsted has schools that are even close to 10% black. And on the Arabic thing, well they are still considered "white" by the census, so until/if that changes the west side suburbs, including Parma are still overwhelmingly white.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 AM

53 posts, read 75,530 times
Student Teacher Ratio Forest Elementary School - North Olmsted, Ohio - OH
Student Teacher Ratio Spruce Elementary School - North Olmsted, Ohio - OH

A lot are categorized as "unspecified". Sure, I was off in the 10% marks, but 5% would not surprise me.

I've heard from people that the schools do indeed have more blacks then noted.

And in regards to Arabics, it doesn't really matter what the census says. Arabics are certainly NOT white and their influences change the dynamics of a community. Just because the census considers them white, due to this 20th century ruling:

Arab-Americans Aim to Increase Their Census Count - Newsweek

Pretty stupid if you ask me tbh. And really.. do you think ALL arabs are white? If you do, I'll just laugh.

And I live in Lakewood, and it's definitely not even as white as this indicates

http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/...r/952#students

It's one of the most diverse schools in the state, despite being on the west side. And to clarify, there are over 30 languages spoken in the halls of Lakewood High School.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:59 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,457,788 times
Greatschools.org is a good site to use. If you want to see a chart of different state for all schools in a district, on the front page put the city and state on the top, then click on the district, then on the right side pick either elementary, middle, or high and click for comparison there's different charts on there for ratings, race, etc.
This is for North Olmsted: Ohio schools - OH elementary, middle and high school information
Elementary - 88.6% White, 3.3% Multiracial
Middle - 89% White, 2% Multiracial
High - 90% White, 2% Multiracial

As far as the Arab Americans I agree that most of them should not be counted as "white" I know some pick "other". At the same time I believe only a few suburbs would be above 5%-10% Arab, it's not that much of a difference for the other ones.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:57 PM

2,369 posts, read 4,133,608 times
Quote:
Student Teacher Ratio Forest Elementary School - North Olmsted, Ohio - OH
Student Teacher Ratio Spruce Elementary School - North Olmsted, Ohio - OH

A lot are categorized as "unspecified". Sure, I was off in the 10% marks, but 5% would not surprise me.

I've heard from people that the schools do indeed have more blacks then noted.

And in regards to Arabics, it doesn't really matter what the census says. Arabics are certainly NOT white and their influences change the dynamics of a community. Just because the census considers them white, due to this 20th century ruling:

Arab-Americans Aim to Increase Their Census Count - Newsweek

Pretty stupid if you ask me tbh. And really.. do you think ALL arabs are white? If you do, I'll just laugh.

And I live in Lakewood, and it's definitely not even as white as this indicates

Student Teacher Ratio Lakewood High School - Lakewood, Ohio - OH

It's one of the most diverse schools in the state, despite being on the west side. And to clarify, there are over 30 languages spoken in the halls of Lakewood High School.
No agree with you, some of the west side suburbs are more diverse than the stats show. Lakewood definetly being one of them, Parma has some schools with alot higher minority populations than the stats would indicate. Examples for Parma and Lakewood.
Parma first
James E Hanna Elementary School, Parma Ohio / OH School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
John Muir Elementary School, Parma Ohio / OH School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Pleasant Valley Elementary School, Parma Ohio / OH School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Lakewood
Grant Elementary School, Lakewood Ohio / OH School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Harrison Elementary School, Lakewood Ohio / OH School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Taft Elementary School, Lakewood Ohio / OH School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland