Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 06:40 PM

27 posts, read 56,252 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am currently living in Baltimore MD & have been looking at NC for some time. One of teh areas that has always caught my eye is New Bern. Anyone here from New Bern, or familiar with it? It looks like a greta place to live...quiet even. Anyone have any opinions with this town? Would love to hear any feedback.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 AM

245 posts, read 765,362 times
BeachPirate1976,

New Bern is a lot smaller and slower paced than Baltimore. Not sure if that's a plus or minus for you. It has a nice waterfront park, a pedestrian friendly historical district, antique stores, etc. Parts of it remind me a bit of Annapolis and the Inner Harbor. I can't really comment on the functional aspects (jobs, schools, taxes, etc.) as I don't spend much time there. Oh, it's also the birthplace of Pepsi-Cola, the finest beverage ever invented by humankind. Hope that helps. Good luck with the search.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
New Bern, the original capital of North Carolina is celebrating its 300th anniversay this year: Welcome to the official website of New Bern's 300th Celebration
Homes on average are approx. 25-30% less expensive than from its sister real estate market on the beach (Crystal Coast).
I live in Carteret County. Work (real estate) both here and the New Bern area and go to Church in Pamlco County. Let me know if I can help.
Bill

Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
BeachPirate1976,

New Bern is a lot smaller and slower paced than Baltimore. Not sure if that's a plus or minus for you. It has a nice waterfront park, a pedestrian friendly historical district, antique stores, etc. Parts of it remind me a bit of Annapolis and the Inner Harbor. I can't really comment on the functional aspects (jobs, schools, taxes, etc.) as I don't spend much time there. Oh, it's also the birthplace of Pepsi-Cola, the finest beverage ever invented by humankind. Hope that helps. Good luck with the search.
That's good, about it being a bit slower pace. I've always wanted to check out an area that was a smaller city/town & a bit slower. Plus, I'm sure the people would be nicer as well. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
New Bern, the original capital of North Carolina is celebrating its 300th anniversay this year: Welcome to the official website of New Bern's 300th Celebration
Homes on average are approx. 25-30% less expensive than from its sister real estate market on the beach (Crystal Coast).
I live in Carteret County. Work (real estate) both here and the New Bern area and go to Church in Pamlco County. Let me know if I can help.
Bill
Hey Bill, thanks for the link...I'm sure that will be very helpful. No matter if you are in Baltimore City/County, the one thing that seems to be a bit worse is the crime. Every night, even in the county, the cop cars run rampant. There are many reasons for me wanting to leave, but I think the crime & ignorant people are the main reasons. How are this issues in New Bern? I know there is crime everywhere, but being somewhere where it's much better is always a plus.

Thanks again.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:44 PM

Crime is relative. A long time ago I lived in NYC. A light crime day there was when no one got raped, robbed, stabbed or murdered on your floor. Where I live now all of the above doesn't happen in a year.
All towns have a "bad" section where crime traditionally occurs. New Bern is no different. But in no way would I or could I even hint/elude to New Bern having any type of "problem".
Here's the link to the New Bern newspaper. It's a daily. Sun Journal
I'd check the paper frequently over the next fe weeks to get a feel for things.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I'm heading to New Bern next week for my first visit; also a Baltimore (suburbs) native here and am looking for a small town feel. Have family in Edenton N.C. and usually vacation each summer in Topsail but have heard a lot of positives about New Bern over the years.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 AM

With the exception of Wilmington-Easten/coastal NC is nothing but small towns. All very special and very unique in their own right.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Have been in New Bern about three years now. It is fine.

There is crime and there are bad parts of town, near good parts, but you will find that in any small, southern town. We have had a surprising amount of crime close to our house (within 1000 yards,) but none real close and I don't worry one bit about it. A high percentage of crime occurs in very well defined areas. A read, as I think Bill H suggested, of the Sun Journal will make it clear in only a week or two.

My teenage daughters detest New Bern, but they have not really gotten into the "in crowd" since we moved. But, the beach is 45 minutes away, and I think my 17 year old has gone every day since school got out.

Shopping is not that great here, but good enough. I think Greenville, 50 easy, but boring minutes, is pretty good, and Morehead City is about the same, and all the shopping there is exploding, and on the New Bern side. Other than going through Havelock, MHC is a very easy trip. Jacksonville is about the same time, too, and it has a lot of stuff there.

There is a lot to do in New Bern, for a town its size, if you are looking for other than discos and big time night clubs. There are several, IMHO, very, very high quality restaurants, a world class BBQ restaurant, and some excellent seafood restaurants. Rumor has it a new steak place and a new seafood place are opening soon.

New Bern has a pretty good medical community that is growing by the minute. Also, the schools are a lot better than people give them credit for. And there are some really great schools (yes, public schools) in the immediate area.

I am disappointed in the fishing in the immediate area of New Bern. I think it is a water quality issue, but a short trailer down 20 - 45 minutes nearer the coast puts you in much better water. The Neuse River Foundation is headquartered here, so we learn a lot about the threats to our waters.

The new bridge finally opened a couple of months ago, and entering New Bern by the bridge casts the city, even for those of us that live here, in an entirely different light. The main way to town, while the bridge was under construction was, at best, bleak. Coming in over the water, with the Neuse and Trent, and all the boats really sets up a totally different vibe.

Yes, New Bern has some warts, and there are some areas that are not all that great, and maybe for late teens and early 20's activities are a bit thin, but overall, I am satisfied with our decision to move here.

Finally, there is a lot going on, practically every weekend this year with the 300th anniversary. Fortunately, I guess, the crowds are manageable and not all that big.

Good Luck.

lln

Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 AM

9 posts, read 27,650 times
does anyone know the area that Wyndsor Park Apartments is located? This is where we are "getting our feet wet" when we make the move from RI to NC. I have 2 teenagers and we are coming from an extremely small town (we don't bother to lock our doors here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina