Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,369 times

Advertisements

Hi... I'm looking for an apartment or condo for my son and his roommate, both rising sophomores at W. Most interested in safety of area, convenience to campus (bus line would be great), and quality of quiet. Anyone have any information on these? Courtyard Condos at Kerr and Wilshire? Lakeside Village Condos off Oleander? Reserve at Forest Hills?
Chateau Terrace? College Green? Mill Creek? The Quad? Cypress Pointe?
Others you recommend? Can't rely on reviews because they're often written by management. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 05:18 PM

207 posts, read 963,661 times
I just moved to the area as a graduate student and have heard time and again from current grad students that I needed to avoid any apartment building within the "1-mile radius" of campus. Might be convenient for undergrads but it tends to be where the less responsible behavior of college kids causes a lot of problems. Definitely no quiet environment and probably less safety than areas a little further out. Try to look a little beyond that, on their housing website it is usually listed whether or not the building falls within the radius. There is also a crime map of the area if you google it where you can see crimes that have been committed in the area for any length of time you type in. Stay away from the city area west of campus and the area around the airport that is north of campus, that is the advice I used to find my place and it's worked out really well. Best of luck.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,739 times
Courtyard Condos are less than 3 years old and are walking/biking distance to the university. The Reserve at Forest Hills is fairly new but it's well over a mile from the school. College Green is right next to the school, no car or bike needed to get to classes. I stayed there during my college days and it was fine. Avoid Campus Edge and the older apartments directly across College Road from the university.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 AM

431 posts, read 1,141,964 times
I live at Mill Creek. Its well maintained and a short drive or walk to UNCW. I also like Cypress Pointe and it's very close to the campus.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,901 times
I like Mill Creek. Lots of young ladies to spy on.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 AM

135 posts, read 640,406 times
I live at mill creek now, it's only a mile walk to campus (side walk doesn't go all the way though) and we're on the bus loop, it's outside the 1mi radius i believe. Although it's quieter than most complexes near colleges and i would like to keep it that way. There is another complex that is at the intersection of Randall and Kerr that is not a part of mill creek, but looks nice. I've not been in it though and have no idea how to go about seeing one of those units.

Avalon is a newer complex that is decent, but can be expensive. The apartments around the intersection of New Center and Racine are also not so bad, but the lower units have flooded in the past.

If the two boys have lived here for a year they should know the places that they should stay away from, two of them being campus walk/edge, the police are always over there for one reason or another.

My advice is to pick up the apartment finder guide, which will map all of the places, show pictures, and prices. pick the top half dozen or so to visit and go from there. Depending on when they want to move they might find it difficult as a lot of units tend to get snatched up around the middle/end of July as students move in and get settled for the school year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina