U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 PM

49 posts, read 112,223 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone. Can you all give me some ideas of where to stay in Wilmington?
So our family will be us and our 2 yr old and then the in-laws ) 50-60s)

1. What beach would you go to for this particular family set up
2. We obviously would love to be close to the beach but with cost can't. So would you go to a place like 3ish miles away or is there a neat part to stay in Wilmington otherwise since we would have to drive to the beach anyways?
3. Anything we should check out besides the beach?

Thanks. I tried some searches but didn't really help me out. Yes Google is good. I do search that but want some locals opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 PM

431 posts, read 1,013,695 times
When I came down last summer I stayed at the Country Inn & Suites on New Centre Drive. The hotel is set back a ways from the road, so it has a secluded feel to it. But its still close to most thing. Wrightsville beach is close by and I personally prefer it over Carolina or Kure.

What else are you looking to do?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:59 PM

Thanks for your input. Not sure just want to see what's special to Wilmington. Is there a good downtown like historic stuff? Or good unique shops?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:06 AM

814 posts, read 1,758,298 times
There is a historic area downtown with carraige rides, ghost walks and a great riverwalk along which are shops and restaurants. There is a great Kid's museum downtown, as well as a Sepentarium. Wrightsville Beach is a great beach, wtih all the typical beach stuff, such as bars, restaurants, etc. If you are not going to stay on the beach or the Riverfront in Wilmington, then most of the budget hotels are the same...just find a good price and the amenities you want. If you want to stay in walking distance from something to do, try the Hilton on the Riverwalk in Wilmington. Has a nice pool, outside bar on the water, etc. A pool is always good for the kids.

There is also Jungle Rapids on Oleander, which has a GREAT water park, geared mostly to bigger kids, but has a good kids play area. They also have put put, etc.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:32 AM

431 posts, read 1,013,695 times
My one big suggestion is make sure you eat at Goody Goody Omelet House on Market St. I've never tried anything but the omelets, but everything is supposed to be great. They have the fluffiest omelets ever.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 AM

551 posts, read 1,701,047 times
There are a lot of very reasonable motels on Market Street. We used to stay at the Quality Inn before we moved down here. A bit of a drive to downtown, but very affordable.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 AM

1,981 posts, read 2,646,084 times
with kids and in-laws a visit to the Fort Fisher Aquarium
is a great way to spend the day.
there is also a great public park on the ocean that
has showers and such , that is located at the entrance to
the Aquarium.
take a ferry ride over to Southport, in my opinion not much
to do once in Southport , the ferry ride is fun and then it is
a short 30 min. drive back to Wilmington.
good seafood restaurants in Southport could provide
you lunch.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 PM

Thanks everyone! This all helps a lot!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina