U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-03-2010, 04:47 PM

19 posts, read 25,316 times
Default what is the average utilty bill in winterville nc

Hi there, I have just moved to a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house in winterville, nc. I was wondering what the average utility bill runs, including sewer, water. garbage and electricity.

Last edited by Maxwell2009; 07-03-2010 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: missspelled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-04-2010, 09:44 AM

443 posts, read 956,464 times
From my experience, between $150 and $200 for one person and a dog in the same size home. Bills have been as high as $300 during extreme cold.

Unread 07-04-2010, 06:51 PM

thanks for the info. It is me, my husband and my 1 year old. Just worried about running the air conditioner too much in the extreme heat. My heater is run by propane.

Unread 07-05-2010, 09:41 AM

443 posts, read 956,464 times
I use ceiling fans extensively - have one in every room except the bathrooms and the kitchen.

Unread 07-05-2010, 06:13 PM

I too have ceiling fans in every room except the bathrooms. I even have one in the kitchen, hope this cuts down on my bill.

Unread 02-21-2011, 08:56 AM

4,855 posts, read 2,580,734 times
Welcome to Winterville I hope you and your family will love as much as we have for the past 8 yrs. We have ceiling fans in every room also, except the bathrooms. Insulated drapes are great for the front of the house, since the sun beats down there from 1-8 in the dead of Summer. We have gas for cooking & my dryer, a wood burning f/p (which actually takes out the heat) but i love the smell of wood and the comfy feel we have had all Winter. Water/sewer is an average of $115.00 every 2 mos., electric & gas averages $200-$250. Energy efficient appliances help enormously.

Unread 03-01-2011, 09:05 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,247,966 times
If you have a heat pump you can reset the defrost cycle to only come on at 60 minute intervals. Most heat pumps come from the factory set for a 30 minute defrost cycle. That's great if you live further north but it doesn't need to run that often here in Coastal Carolina. Most heat pumps are adjustable from 30 to 60 to 90 minute intervals. 60 minute seems to work fine in this area. When the defrost cycle runs is when the heat pumps gobbles down electricity. The heat pump reverses it's function and basically goes into A/C mode and sends warm freon to the outside coils to defrost any ice or snow buildup. While it's running the A/C the backup heat comes on to keep warm air coming out of the vents during the defrost cycle. When a temperature probe in the outside unit senses the coils are defrosted the defrost sysle shuts back off and it reverses back to heat pump mode.

You can also get outside shades that roll down right over your front windows for the summertime. This is the preferred method. The inside the house drape trick is okay but your still getting all of that heat inside of the house. The outside shades can be hidden up under the overhangs of the house so they're hardly noticable when they're rolled up. You can buy them at Lowes for well under $100 each.

If you have any outside lights that stay on all night try and see if you can change them out for CFL flood lights. The typical metal halide outdoor light burns about $15 worth of electricity a month. You can install 13 19 watt outside CFL floodlights that use the same amount of electricity and light up your entire yard like it's daytime. I use 4 CFL floods at my house and they do a fine job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina